PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 cracked slide

Phillygunguy
01-21-13, 21:41
Ok I know I had posted about the chips I had on my g 17 slide.
And now to my frustration I noticed a small hairline crack on the side of the slide just forward of the serial #. the crack goes all the way around the slide on the right side near the ejection port and looks like it goes through the slide. I didn't notice this initially when I bought the gun, which is a lesson in itself .
My question is this.
If I send it back to glock
1. Its used so will they replace the slide for free?
2. can I tell them to keep the original extractor and internals, If I request it?
I really hate for them to replace it and have BTF issues.
3. can they change out the night sights I have installed and put it on a new slide if I request it?
I don't have pics because i tried and they wont show up on my phone

StR8ShOoTeR87
01-21-13, 21:44
You would have to ask those questions to glock. also try going to a local gunsmith and getting his 2 cents.

Wayne Dobbs
01-21-13, 21:52
I had a G17 slide crack on me in the same location at about 75K rounds several years ago. Glock replaced it without problems. They will reinstall your night sights if you request (or at least they did mine). There should be no BATFE issues as the slide is not the gun for legal purposes, the frame is.

Give them a call. I'm sure they'll help you out.

KrampusArms
01-22-13, 13:25
If it were me, & the pistol is out of warranty. I would strip the slide of everything except the sights & send it to them.

Thats a bummer man. Let us know what happens.

gun71530
01-22-13, 13:46
Contact Glock and ask if you can just send the slide in.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Bulletdog
01-22-13, 13:50
This happened to my instructor too. He had a range pistol with over 130,000 rounds through it and a minimum of care. He was basically torture testing it for fun. It ran with a 65% extractor for years, before he had to eventually replace that part. He called Glock about the cracked slide, and they were actually pretty excited to get his gun and evaluate it. They were happy to replace all the old worn parts and basically sent him the equivalent of a new gun once they were done ooohing ahhhing over it.

I think Glock will be happy to help you. Give them a call.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-22-13, 18:31
I have seen this happen a few times. Glocks are just regular old guns.

samuse
01-22-13, 19:14
I saw a Glock 17 do the same exact thing a couple years ago.

The pistol was shooting way left. I told the guy it was him and not the gun... Then I shot it, yep, it's the gun. Slide cracked through the ejection port....

Don't know what ever became of it, I'm sure he ended up sending it to Glock.

That incident and many reports of the same thing have led me to wonder how a Glock slide would hold up to having the ejection port lowered. Just an aspect of Apex'es observations on shitty ejection and how to fix it..

7 RING
01-22-13, 19:19
I saw a cracked slide on a Glock 17 with an aftermarket barrel. The barrel fit a lot tighter than the original Glock 17 barrel and I suspect it had something to do with it. The owner told me the pistol had 30,000 rounds fired through it.

To put things in perspective, I wore out three Smith & Wesson 5904 pistols in 10 years. Each had less than 20,000 rounds through them and two out of the three had less than 15,000 rounds through them. Pistols break. It's a fact of life. That's why they invented the idea of a back up gun.

Redstate
01-22-13, 20:12
All I can say is that Glock has excellent customer service and will likely take care of you, even if you are not the original owner.

Ready.Fire.Aim
01-22-13, 21:21
Send it to Glock. My M&P 45 slide cracked. Smith and Wesson even paid for FedEx shipping. I got a new slide, no questions.

Phillygunguy
01-22-13, 22:41
thanks for the replies, I called Glock they said to send it in
they will take off the night sights and give them me to be re installed.
I told him I wanted to keep original internals like the extractor
I was told they will probably replace them if its a new slide
and they could not do as I asked
Needless to say Im Pissed.
I was thinking of getting a stripped slide and having a gunsmith install the old extractor to the news slide, But then id have to pay out of pocket, and I dont know if I could find a Smith who would do it

KrampusArms
01-22-13, 22:57
I was thinking of getting a stripped slide and having a gunsmith install the old extractor to the news slide, But then id have to pay out of pocket, and I dont know if I could find a Smith who would do it

Strip the slide, keep the parts, and send it. That's what I would do. That non MIM extractor is worth it to keep. It would be a shame not to get it back. Strip your slide out.

ETA

You don't need a gunsmith to install an extractor in a Glock. Learn your pistol. It's stupid easy man, I assure you.

Wolfman131
01-22-13, 23:56
If it were me, & the pistol is out of warranty. I would strip the slide of everything except the sights & send it to them.

Thats a bummer man. Let us know what happens.

Glock will replace that slide at no charge, warranty or not! Glock has always stood behind their customers, both professional, and private citizen.

Crow Hunter
01-23-13, 09:38

I'll echo others. Just take your parts out and keep them. It only takes 30 sec to get the parts out. All it takes is a 3/32 punch/allen wrench.

Phillygunguy
01-23-13, 19:38
Does anyone know if I can just turn A stripped the slide into glock for a new one?

Phillygunguy
01-23-13, 19:42
I'll echo others. Just take your parts out and keep them. It only takes 30 sec to get the parts out. All it takes is a 3/32 punch/allen wrench.

I'll give it a try

Phillygunguy
01-23-13, 19:59
Strip the slide, keep the parts, and send it. That's what I would do. That non MIM extractor is worth it to keep. It would be a shame not to get it back. Strip your slide out.

ETA

You don't need a gunsmith to install an extractor in a Glock. Learn your pistol. It's stupid easy man, I assure you.

Don't mean to Sound stupid I'm worried I can screw something up re assembling it and cause a safety malfunction and accidentally Shoot myself Carrying it concealed my dumb luck

KTR03
01-23-13, 20:15
My advice... bust out your cell phone. take pictures as you take it apart. Keep all the parts. Send them the slide (they will replace it). When it comes back, put your parts back in. they will only go in one way, and remember plastic against plastic, metal against metal. Hard to screw it up.

Phillygunguy
01-23-13, 20:23
My advice... bust out your cell phone. take pictures as you take it apart. Keep all the parts. Send them the slide (they will replace it). When it comes back, put your parts back in. they will only go in one way, and remember plastic against plastic, metal against metal. Hard to screw it up.

Yeah I saw a good YouTube video on slide disassembly I'll give it a shot

kodiakpb
01-23-13, 21:35
It's so easy a caveman can do it ;)

bleaman225
01-23-13, 22:01
Yeah I saw a good YouTube video on slide disassembly I'll give it a shot

Dude PM me. I'll show you how to do it.

Bulletdog
01-25-13, 15:22
Glocks are the easiest guns in the world to completely tear down. Only 34 parts total. (I think it's 34, isn't it?) when you see how easy it is, you'll be amazed. I took the one day armorers course and we spent about 30 minutes learning what we needed to know and the next seven and a half hours practicing it. I comptetly tore down and rebuilt 12 of them that day, and that was at a beginner's slow pace.

Let us know however this goes for you. I'd love to know what Glock says and does about this.

Phillygunguy
01-25-13, 20:26
Thanks I'll strip the slide tomorrow and send it in to glock I'll keep everyone updated on what they do
Thanks to everyone for the advice

Phillygunguy
01-26-13, 16:14
Ok Stripped the slide and you guys were right it was easy:p
Now Ill send it to glock and hopefully theyll replace it without any BS

Phillygunguy
01-26-13, 16:21
I'm just wondering if they changed the design of the newer slide and if it will be a problem putting in the old parts anyone know?

samuse
01-26-13, 20:16
I'm just wondering if they changed the design of the newer slide and if it will be a problem putting in the old parts anyone know?

All your parts will work in any Gen 3 slide, no worries...

Phillygunguy
02-19-13, 14:30
Just an update I decided to put the old extractor, from the cracked slide into my newer Gen 3 g 17 rtf2 pt about 100 rds though it seems to be mostly ejecting to the right around 3:30 4:00.The extractor In the new one was starting to hit me with btf not as bad as my g 19 but still bad enough. I will put the newer extractor in the old glock 17 ( cracked slide ) and send it to glock for hopefully repair, although Its probably going to be the same extraction issues :mad:

Phillygunguy
02-19-13, 15:23
[TE=Coal Dragger;1554774]Here I always thought Glocks worked right and were indestructible. At least according to their proponents.[/QUOTE]

until glock recognizes and fixes the problem their best days are behind them

Gahunter12
02-21-13, 20:59
Just an update I decided to put the old extractor, from the cracked slide into my newer Gen 3 g 17 rtf2 pt about 100 rds though it seems to be mostly ejecting to the right around 3:30 4:00.The extractor In the new one was starting to hit me with btf not as bad as my g 19 but still bad enough. I will put the newer extractor in the old glock 17 ( cracked slide ) and send it to glock for hopefully repair, although Its probably going to be the same extraction issues :mad:

Have you sent your slide off yet? If you haven't, I would call back and ask if they could check out your mags if you have any older mags with lots of rounds through them or old Clinton ban mags. I carried my G23 Gen3 to Glock for night sights, and check out 2 LEO only G23 mags, and 2 LEO only G22 mags about a month ago. I picked it up a hour later with new night sights, and 2 new G23 mags, and 2 new G22 mags. You are correct on them not installing your aftermarket sights, or older parts. I will carry my G23 carry gun in for a checkup, but not my IDPA, or USPSA guns. It's a liability issue from what I have been told.

Phillygunguy
02-21-13, 21:07
Have you sent your slide off yet? If you haven't, I would call back and ask if they could check out your mags if you have any older mags with lots of rounds through them or old Clinton ban mags. I carried my G23 Gen3 to Glock for night sights, and check out 2 LEO only G23 mags, and 2 LEO only G22 mags about a month ago. I picked it up a hour later with new night sights, and 2 new G23 mags, and 2 new G22 mags. You are correct on them not installing your aftermarket sights, or older parts. I will carry my G23 carry gun in for a checkup, but not my IDPA, or USPSA guns. It's a liability issue from what I have been told.

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about. Are you telling me to turn my old glock mag in with the gun for a new one? My mags aren't that old and not the issue .

Gahunter12
02-21-13, 22:34
I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about. Are you telling me to turn my old glock mag in with the gun for a new one? My mags aren't that old and not the issue .

Yep only if you have old ones laying around. Glock's customer service is great. I had some old 10rnd ban mags that they swapped out for me back in 2005. I just purchased 8 mags from a friend back in January. He has switched to G21's, and didn't need his .40s&w mags so he sold them to me for $10 each. I carried some of them with me to have my night sightsinstalled. They said they would replace them since they were old. Nothing wrong with them except age. They also replaced all of my spring even though I only had 800 rnds down the pipe. There CS is first class!

Phillygunguy
02-24-13, 05:34
Dropped off my 17 at my lgs and will be shipped shipped tomorrow hopefully the turn around time wont be too long and won't be charged by glock

robfromsc
02-24-13, 06:12
Living an hour and a half from glock has some advantages. I've taken several firearms there for service. From the gate guard to the smith, great CS. I've taken them in just to get freshened up and they have typically replaced all wear parts and even swapped out old ass magazines.

I'd say send it in and relax.

Phillygunguy
03-14-13, 10:29
Well just got a call from Glock, spoke with a guy named Peter who said they will replace the slide. The good news its still under warranty and no cost to me. Ill be getting it back in a few weeks.
I asked him what the cause might have been and he said flexing of the slide, probably from high pressure rounds which isn't common and he even apologized.Sounds like good CS to me

Phillygunguy
03-30-13, 14:35
Well Finally got my G 17 back from glock They replaced the slide at no cost and even installed my ameriglo Hack sights
I put 150 rounds through it and as expected extraction all over the place. So I'm going to just deal with it I cant do anything anymore with it or any glocks. I did manage to keep the original extractor but I doubt it will improve much With that IM done

KlintonP
03-31-13, 23:49
I asked him what the cause might have been and he said flexing of the slide, probably from high pressure rounds which isn't common

High pressure rounds? Must have been using those darn imploding bullets. :lol:

Glad to hear they replaced it. Hope you get everything sorted out, let us know.

Phillygunguy
04-01-13, 11:37
High pressure rounds? Must have been using those darn imploding bullets. :lol:

Glad to hear they replaced it. Hope you get everything sorted out, let us know.

If you read my above post no I'm still getting erratic ejection

PA PATRIOT
04-01-13, 16:42

Is it possible that your ejector is chipped or bent?

Heavy Metal
04-01-13, 17:01

Is it hitting you in the face?

I have found that while the Gen 4 ejector won't totally 'cure' erratic ejection in the Gen 3, it will make it tolerable enought by at least making it miss your head and face.

Gahunter12
04-01-13, 19:38

Dang that sucks. I guess this must be a problem with the 9mm Gen3's. I have 2 G22, G23, G35, and a G21 (all Gen3). I have never had a case back in my face. I have less than 1,500rnds in my G23, and G21 since they serve as carry, and HD. My G22's, and G35 are competition guns with well over 10,000 rounds. I wish you the best man.

Phillygunguy
04-02-13, 06:47

No doubtful there's a whole discussion on ejection issues its the typical btf crap that glock won't address

Phillygunguy
04-02-13, 06:50

I have found that while the Gen 4 ejector won't totally 'cure' erratic ejection in the Gen 3, it will make it tolerable enought by at least making it miss your head and face.

Not my face but over my head I took out the original extractor non LCI non dip and put it in my other g 17 to help with its ejection issues btf etc , not perfect but better than it was so maybe I'll swap it out and put it back

Phillygunguy
04-02-13, 06:52
Dang that sucks. I guess this must be a problem with the 9mm Gen3's. I have 2 G22, G23, G35, and a G21 (all Gen3). I have never had a case back in my face. I have less than 1,500rnds in my G23, and G21 since they serve as carry, and HD. My G22's, and G35 are competition guns with well over 10,000 rounds. I wish you the best man.
Its mostly late gen 3 gen 4 9mm

Phillygunguy
04-02-13, 12:22

Well I could try to use a Gen 4 extractor and swap out the 336 ejector for the newer one but its a pain in the ass I did that with my gen 3 19 and put an apex extractor but found I was getting stove pipes and that I may need to cut a little of the pad on the extractor, I also read that the ejection port can be lowered but not sure I want to go that route. It did fix the BTF though

Heavy Metal
04-02-13, 12:56
Not my face but over my head I took out the original extractor non LCI non dip and put it in my other g 17 to help with its ejection issues btf etc , not perfect but better than it was so maybe I'll swap it out and put it back

Notice I said EJECTOR and NOT Extractor.

Heavy Metal
04-02-13, 12:58
Well I could try to use a Gen 4 extractor and swap out the 336 ejector for the newer one but its a pain in the ass I did that with my gen 3 19 and put an apex extractor but found I was getting stove pipes and that I may need to cut a little of the pad on the extractor, I also read that the ejection port can be lowered but not sure I want to go that route. It did fix the BTF though

It isn't the ejector causing the stovepipes. I had to usen the Gen 4 Apex Extractor in my Gen 3 as the Gen 3 Apex extractor was letting go of the case when the barrel cammed down leaving the case halfway out of the chamber. My theory was the case rim was camming against the stop limit bump and forcing it to let go of the rim. It didn't do this everytime or with every round.

Gen 4 Apex Extractor + Gen 4 Ejector= Win in my Gen 3 G-19.

Phillygunguy
04-03-13, 20:21
It isn't the ejector causing the stovepipes. I had to usen the Gen 4 Apex Extractor in my Gen 3 as the Gen 3 Apex extractor was letting go of the case when the barrel cammed down leaving the case halfway out of the chamber. My theory was the case rim was camming against the stop limit bump and forcing it to let go of the rim. It didn't do this everytime or with every round.

Gen 4 Apex Extractor + Gen 4 Ejector= Win in my Gen 3 G-19.

Just traded my G 19 for a PPQ HOWEVER I'll never sell my 2 glock 17s I wonder If what you did will work with my glock 17?

Phillygunguy
04-03-13, 22:49
Hey Metal did you have to make adjustments to your Apex extractor ? I thought the Gen 4 Apex extractors didn't work in gen 3s

Heavy Metal
04-03-13, 23:19
Worked fine in mine. Just dropped it in without adjustment. Mine is a 2006 model Gen 3. Gen 4 Extractor.

Phillygunguy
04-04-13, 08:27
Worked fine in mine. Just dropped it in without adjustment. Mine is a 2006 model Gen 3. Gen 4 Extractor.

Interesting. I thought the gen 4 extractors didn't work in gen 3 glocks that's why they made the gen 3 extractor which is what I had but was more problematic, I got vertical stovepipes Ejection was better no BTF but not always to 4 o'clock

Phillygunguy
04-04-13, 08:30
Randy at Apex said I needed to remove a small area of the fitting pad, but I don't have those kind of tools to measure the amount to take off, so I sold it

WillBrink
04-04-13, 09:37
I have seen this happen a few times. Glocks are just regular old guns.

You lie! They are Gods own gun, infallible in every way, and any damage to them user error, and all other handguns less reliable.