PDA

View Full Version : Steyr Aug pre ban?

texasyid
03-04-08, 12:22
I am looking to get a Steyr Aug pre ban but do not know much about them. I would like to get some opinions. I really don't want one of the ones that are being made in the U.S. currently. Thanks.

MassMark
03-04-08, 13:06
You know? I can't really fully define why I didn't like my AUG, but I didn't. I bought one very early on in their debut, so perhaps one with more experiences with a later model can help you out. What I disliked was the trigger, grip, built in sight, feel, the way it shouldered. What I did like was the look, magazines, accuracy, compactness. I'm a substantial guy, so perhaps bullpups are not meant for me - I didn't like my Valmet either. I did however recently put a FS2000 through it's paces and was surprised how much I liked it. The only thing I miss about both my AUG and my Valmet is that they are not in my safe anymore. I sold them for a fraction of their worth today.... :( My old AUG in a 'WTS' section today would make me happy.....

Business_Casual
03-04-08, 13:07
A few draw backs:

1) Price http://www.forthehunt.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93940993

2) Non-STANAG magazines

3) Finding parts and getting customer service

M_P

Gutshot John
03-04-08, 13:51
You can retrofit an AUG to take STANAG mags, but they might not be your thing.

If you're looking for something cool, then they certainly fit the bill. Otherwise bullpups are somewhat overrated...IMO.

THIS IS ONLY WHAT I'VE HEARD: I only know one person and his experience was that it had problems and that he learned that some of the MSAR can be inconsistent. This is true for every new production run so you might want to wait a bit until those are ironed out. However he called MSAR and they're trying very hard to fix any problems. He's satisfied with their response.

MassMark
03-04-08, 14:13
A few draw backs:

1) Price http://www.forthehunt.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93940993

Jesus - I remember being stunned at the $900.00 price tag of my AUG - especially after paying $500.00 for an HK91. My how times have changed....

Gutshot John
03-04-08, 14:25
You can find the MSARs for much less, but at that price it's almost worth going with a transferable Class III.

texasyid
03-04-08, 15:20
My old AUG in a 'WTS' section today would make me happy.....

Hey I feel your pain . What I wouldn't give to have my IMI Galil or my Belgium FN Fal back. Back then they were all over the place just like some items are now i.e. 6920.
I did not have an AUG back then but would like to have a pre ban model now.

AR-15A3
03-04-08, 19:59
If you really wanted to have a pre ban Steyr AUG be prepared to damage your wallet. ;)

I've got my two pre ban Steyr AUG A1, a 16" carbine and the standard 20" rifle for about 19 years now when I bought them in '89 before the import ban.

My AUGs runs great no FTF at all in thousands of rounds and many years of use, I converted my 16" carbine about three years ago with the factory Steyr NATO conversion stock which uses M16/ AR-15 mags and works very well with my AR USGI, HK, PMAG and the new L5 Lancer Systems translucent (soon to be released this month) mags.

The most common models are the A1 which have a fixed 1.5X power Swarovski optic and there are only a very few rare and more expensive A2 models with removable picatinny rail.

For AUG owners that would like to have a better trigger pull a "Trigger Tamer" kit could be installed in the trigger pack module or trigger pack with the trigger tamer already installed are also available.

There's some rumors that the Steyr factory is trying to build their rifles here in the US and are trying very hard to find a manufacturing facility in the southeast, if they could do it there's a good possibility that they will make their A2 and new AUG A3 models here with the quad rail system.

Slightly off topic, I also still have my IMI Galil (Action Arms import) 16" rifle I got the same time I bought my AUGs. :p

Here's a couple of links for more history and info.

Steyr-AUG.com site link (http://www.steyr-aug.com/)

Steyr AUG Wikipedia link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_AUG)

Good luck.

texasyid
03-04-08, 20:23
Thanks AR I appreciate your response. PJ Investments would be the place to get one but he is in my state and I would have to pay sales tax.

ckay
03-06-08, 23:19
I love the Steyr Aug...a bit past my time in regards to obtaining them as my father was never into the style of rifles I am interested in but nevertheless a cool piece to have. I'm still holding out for the $2500 range but I'll probably never come across one at in that range.

Phil Hirsh
11-15-08, 09:33
I have had two AUGs. Both of them were bought in 1985. I still have one of them and it is the center piece of my collection. Its accuracy and reliablity are nothing less than amazing. The one jam I have had was with WOLF ammo. It gobbles my handloads like candy. I hear people complain about the AUG and I have had none of these experiences in the 20 years I have been enjoying the AUGer. I am curious, however, to know how the rifles (FR 88) are performing in combat, particularly in Afganistan. Is it doing better than the Brit's L85A2? How does it stack up against the M-4?