PDA

View Full Version : My hand at custom work

ovlov28
01-23-13, 00:24
I wanted to share my first go at custom work on my Springer' GI.

This is the first pistol I bought when I got my permit and was of age. I bought it when I knew very little about firearms. I always had troubles with it and then modified it before trying to send it back to Springfield. My mistake. So, some 7-8 years has past, and my hobby has grown. I decided I wanted to start with fitting a Wilson Bpf firing pin stop and extractor (I tuned the tension, or at least think I did... we will see how it goes at the range), flat mainspring housing and non-ILS associated parts, and to lower/flare the ejection port. After about 8 hours of total hand filing this is how it turned out. I just cleaned/oiled it and ready to take it to the range for a test drive :). I just want it to work, it has been a pretty paper weight for too long!

Post range trip I am going to re-coat it, I have not decided if I want to re-park it, or get wild with some cera-kote (or similar) and some color...

How did I do for my first time?

Chuck
01-23-13, 09:44
ouch........

El Pistolero
01-23-13, 10:33
I think a new grip safety + fitting is in order.:eek:

ovlov28
01-23-13, 16:16
ouch........

care to elaborate? you have obviously seen more of this work than I being my first time.:secret:

pdb
01-23-13, 16:56
I think a new grip safety + fitting is in order.:eek:

I concur. The drop-in grip safeties are pretty sucky. I really recommend not committing to a refinish until you get a properly fitted grip safety installed and debugged. You'll want to do it later anyway.

Speaking as a fellow unqualified molester of perfectly good GI style 1911s...

http://i.imgur.com/K4tjY.jpg

...you can correctly fit a grip safety at home with hand tools and lots of emery cloth, or you can pay a smith to do it right. Having gone through it, I can enthusiastically recommend you pay someone to do it.

gan1hck
01-23-13, 17:42
Congrats on getting to know your 1911.

I bought a cheap taurus 1911, and over the course of a few years, took it completely apart and replaced all of it's guts with ed brown parts.

It probably cost me more than it would have if I had just bought a ed brown gun, but, oh well, lessons learned.

I probably would never have tinkered with an expensive ed brown gun.

ovlov28
01-23-13, 18:16
I really recommend not committing to a refinish until you get a properly fitted grip safety installed and debugged. You'll want to do it later anyway.

This is the plan, packing up to head to the range now to try it now :)

I have a ed brown pin/spring kit for the frame as well I am going to dive into. Getting a hand fit safety is on the list, I don't mind doing the work, it is a good time killer.

I am glad I went for doing the work, I almost sent it off to get done, but decided to man up and give it a go. No regrets even if it is not as fancy as some, I know the time/effort that went in :)

FAB45
01-23-13, 18:55
I would recommend the Smith and Alexander grip safety, it will require a little reduction of the frame but it will fit nice and flush.

ovlov28
01-23-13, 19:46
I would recommend the Smith and Alexander grip safety, it will require a little reduction of the frame but it will fit nice and flush.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

bigghoss
01-24-13, 10:21
Well you picked a good base to start and you didn't FUBAR your gun, so points for taking the leap and trying it out.

I had a nice ORM Colt 1991a1 that I needed a beavertail GS on since the old style spur hammer did a number on my hand. The "gunsmith" I took it to tried to free-hand the back of the frame for the GS and took a bit took much off. It worked and it kept my hand from becoming hamburger but it looked like shit and I was pissed. It wasn't glaringly obvious, at least not to most people, but it was not a quality job. Guy I sold it too didn't seem to notice. I really wish I would have spent the money to send it to someone who knew what the hell they were doing.

BBossman
01-24-13, 14:04
Ouch........

Needs capitalization in this case...

ovlov28
01-24-13, 19:38
Got a short range trip in after work today, 100 rounds with no failures. Seems like we are making progress. I was getting 2-3 failure to eject PER magazine before I start this project. I would like to get a bit more range time on it then work on some of the frame things I want to do, then get it refinished :)