PDA

View Full Version : Need a muzzle brake for wasr 10

flub781
01-23-13, 01:26
Bought my wasr 10 about 7 years ago and finally got around to getting the barrel nut off tonight. Wanted some opinions on a muzzle brake and also where to find one. After doing some research on them I thought I had it narrowed down to a pws fsc47 but I can't find one in stock anywhere. Recommendations with a link would be greatly appreciated.

Kenneth
01-23-13, 08:52
I believe the AK-74 brake runs pretty good. Also battle comp makes an AK brake.

theant
01-23-13, 10:16
I have the pws fsc47 on mine and I love it. I got it at Brownells a couple of years ago but they do not carry it anymore but I believe you can still get it from the manufacturer website.

Vintovka
01-23-13, 17:03
I believe the AK-74 brake runs pretty good. Also battle comp makes an AK brake.

The 14x1 threaded AK-74 brakes are pretty lackluster.

flub781
01-23-13, 17:38

Exactly. I can find them rather easily but I was looking for function with a little bit of style. Kinda why I decided on the pws

Hizzie
01-23-13, 18:50
The PWS FSC47 is pretty damn awsome if you got the $$$. If you are on a budget the AMD65 "snake brake" is pretty damn good.

rockher_man
01-25-13, 22:27
I've been designing and engineering a few upgrades for my AK...and
after MUCH research and reading...and questioning my bro's enough
to make them all nutZ.....going with BattleComp.

Good article in current issue of S.W.A.T. magazine (Feb. 2013) on
page-26 about Flash Hider vs. Compensator and the issues
involved in making this decision....like wether it's a duty-rifle or
personal defense (home, etc...) or CQB entry-team, and so on....it's
a good read...

After shortening my barrel, I’m planning to permanently pin the AKBC
to the barrel to bring it back to 16” OAL….

I think Rifle Dynamics is the proprietary reseller….AND....thanks to
the Shot Show just recently in Las Vegas…. They are temporarily sold
out….:(

http://www.rifledynamics.com/products/akbc.php

you ARE looking for 7.62 x 39 right?...anyway....I'm tired of looking
so that's the way I'm gonna go...

-

flub781
01-26-13, 02:36
Thanks for the input... Wish I would've had it a day ago. That battle comp looks sick. I wound up finding the pws fsc47 at shooterstactical.com for under $90 so I placed the order. From what I've read I dont think I'll be disappointed in it. Definitely wanna check out the article on the flash vs comp though. And yeah its 7.62x39. Actually heres a pic of it from a few months back
http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u332/EGledhill781/guns/DSCN0103_zps06749547.jpg

jamesavery22
01-28-13, 07:39
AK's need a flash hider more than they need a brake.

No reason why you can't have both. One of my AK's has a FSC47 perm attached. I've run multiple with the cheap Kreb's A2 style flash hider: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/828794/krebs-custom-guns-m16-a2-style-flash-hider-m14x10-lh-thread-ak-47-ak-74-steel-matte
as well. Played with multiple Type 74, the Manticore arms brake, and slant brake.

The A2 I bought was ≈$15 shipped. When firing a 16" 7.62x39 AK with no brake there is a huge difference from running anything mentioned above.
When firing the same rifle with any of the brakes mentioned above while using four solid points of contact it's super hard to tell any difference between any of the different brakes...

That pushes my vote to the $15 choice that also suppresses flash. Wish Brownells still had those in stock. Kreb's can still be found. And you don't have to mill the indexing notch.

http://i.imgur.com/hOcXF.jpg

CPD15-5
03-02-13, 02:34
Jamesavery, Is that the Hogue handguard? Do you like it?

jamesavery22
04-04-13, 15:44
Never saw this post. Apologies. Yes it was the hogue hand guard. That rifle was sold.

When it was built I put a good number of rounds through it to make sure it ran solid. The Hand guard is nice and sticky. And lets you pull down while gripping just the hand guard. The cost for that is it is a little wider than the stock hg and the rubber smells funny after 300 rounds in 10min...

There were two real negatives I saw.
The heat shield is thin aluminum and it's not shaped the same as the stock steal heat shield. Which means it has to be cut if you want to use the Ultimak.
Once it's mounted it's not moving anywhere. Chances are in the process of mounting the tabs that hold the HG and heat shield together that are a piece of the heat shield broke. Not a big deal as when it's installed with the Ultimak there's 0 chance of it moving. If you have a stock upper hg/gas tube then it might move around a little.
The second is closely related. The metal lip that protrudes from the front of the HG that the lower HG retainer mounts to isn't cut correctly. A correct lower HG retainer should have a closed U shape if you look at it from the ass. So the tops of the U have a curve that prevents the metal lip from pushing up when everything is locked together. The hogue lower HG's metal lip is too short there. So if you have a standard upper HG and gas tube the HG could tilt up and down even if the lower HG retainer is locked. Again, with an Ultimak this isn't a problem since there is 0 wiggle room.

Hope that answers any questions you might have.

Caeser25
04-04-13, 16:33
I upgraded from the Midwest industries to the fsc47 as I wanted a little bit more muzzle control. There is very little flash with the mi. I have yet to shoot the the fsc at night. I also added ultimak rails at the same time so I can't give a fair comparison on muzzle rise until he next time I go out, IF, mine in the EE doesn't go first.

ClearedHot
04-07-13, 03:41
What's wrong with the original slant brake it came with?

eodinert
04-07-13, 14:07
What's wrong with the original slant brake it came with?

It's a decent thread protector, but is offers little more than the barrel nut alternative.

If by lackluster you mean they are not stylish and in vogue, but work well, then yes. I put one of those fugly things on a 7.62 AK for my son when he was younger, and it really dialed down the recoil.

Vintovka
04-07-13, 14:35
It's a decent thread protector, but is offers little more than the barrel nut alternative.

If by lackluster you mean they are not stylish and in vogue, but work well, then yes. I put one of those fugly things on a 7.62 AK for my son when he was younger, and it really dialed down the recoil.

I can't argue with what you say is your/his personal experience, but I in my experience, I've found them to be very ineffective. There's no expansion chamber like the properly-made 24x1.5mm AK-74 brakes.

7.62WildBill
04-07-13, 15:09
The 14x1 brake seems to be an improvement over nothing, in my experience.

eodinert
04-08-13, 06:40
There's no expansion chamber on a lot brakes, and they still work fine...redirecting gas is what does the braking.

halmbarte
04-08-13, 09:48
This one is cheap ($22), well made, and works:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-351.html

I've used them on a couple of AKs. They do reduce recoil enough that you can easily feel the difference.

The AK74 brake is superior, but they cost more and you's need a adapter to run one on a 14mm muzzle.

H