PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Land in Alabama

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 08:50
Howdy! This yankee is looking at land in your fine State! Don't be alarmed though, I am not trying to take over. :D

Mostly looking at the Northeast section of your State. Any input on which counties to avoid, good leads on 100 acres (or more)?

Any and all input welcome.

C4

lethal dose
01-23-13, 09:13
I will say this, Grant... land is WAY more expensive down south. Expect to pay $5k-$10k an acre. I can get get 400+ acres for just over a quarter mil in Ohio. Ask me how I know. :cool:

lethal dose
01-23-13, 09:15
Just had a buddy buy 100 acres at $695/acre up there, too. Buy up there and sell your mineral right... you could be an INSTANT millionaire.

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 09:16
I will say this, Grant... land is WAY more expensive down south. Expect to pay $5k-$10k an acre. I can get get 400+ acres for just over a quarter mil in Ohio. Ask me how I know. :cool:

Ya, in some parts. Not in Alabama though. Seen a lot of land I like for UNDER $2k an acre.

C4

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 09:17
Just had a buddy buy 100 acres at $695/acre up there, too. Buy up there and sell your mineral right... you could be an INSTANT millionaire.

Incase you had forgotten, it is COLD in OH! :blink:

C4

skydivr
01-23-13, 09:18
There's lots of nice property in North Alabama. Good luck you'll like it there.

Littlelebowski
01-23-13, 09:19
Keep mineral rights if you don't need a quick buck.

lethal dose
01-23-13, 09:23

Agreed. We did not sell ours. AND if we ever do sell the farm, we can command a high premium.

Littlelebowski
01-23-13, 09:26
Yeah, we bought our 50k acres and the mineral rights were long gone. Folks that held onto theirs over the years are making big bank out West.

lethal dose
01-23-13, 09:26
Ya, in some parts. Not in Alabama though. Seen a lot of land I like for UNDER $2k an acre.

C4

That's not bad. Check into things like cost to have power ran to the property if there is none, well drilling, septic installation, etc. Small expenses in the grand scheme, but worth taking a look at. SC land can be had about that cheap if you move to a very unpopulated area. Since a lot of your business is online, employment may not be a concern. You planning on moving or just acquiring land?

lethal dose
01-23-13, 09:27
And yes, Ohio's colder then cold. I come up 5 or 6 times a year. Sucks.

Crow Hunter
01-23-13, 09:29

Depending on the type of mineral this can be really important.

Where I am from, clay is the mineral of choice. (A lot of that red clay you see on Major League fields and most red bricks comes from my area)

Having a company exercise their right to your minerals can really ruin your property for generations to come. Strip mining clay is a nasty ugly business.

Although abandoned pits make great lakes (whether you want them to or not) and good shooting.

If you decide you want to move to West TN instead, I have 200 acres of West TN land I have for sale right now. (Only 15 min from Wal-mart, very important feature down here.:D)

halfkorean
01-23-13, 09:35
I live in north Alabama, Madison County. I have lived in the area off and on my whole life, father retired Army and then ex-Army myself. You really aren't going to find anything cheap. You may get lucky every once in a while but that is few and far between. But the way cities in north Alabama are expanding it is getting harder.

I have been looking, too. I have quite a few friends that are in commercial and industrial real estate that let me know if they come up on anything but it is not really their expertise. They have found some but they have been a little rich for my blood. I have expanded my search to lower Tennessee and western Georgia too.

I will let you know if I hear of anymore. Of course only after I decide I am not interested in anymore. :) But don't worry I am really picky and it would have to be a heck of a deal, as I have a wedding coming up this year and planning to try to start having kids shortly after so I am trying to save money for all that.

There was a guy at my work selling some land. I forgot the details and why I wasn't interested in it but I will look into that first.

HK

Typos and mistakes brought to you by my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 09:38
There's lots of nice property in North Alabama. Good luck you'll like it there.

Ya, I have seen some really nice land for sale.

C4

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 09:39
That's not bad. Check into things like cost to have power ran to the property if there is none, well drilling, septic installation, etc. Small expenses in the grand scheme, but worth taking a look at. SC land can be had about that cheap if you move to a very unpopulated area. Since a lot of your business is online, employment may not be a concern. You planning on moving or just acquiring land?

I don't plan on building a house any time soon (or moving). Maybe a cabin at best. The land will mostly be used as a Range to host and teach classes during the winter months.

C4

ryan
01-23-13, 09:40
I can point you to 130 acres with a stocked 3.5 acre pond for $4500 an acre, in Lee County.

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 09:42
I live in north Alabama, Madison County. I have lived in the area off and on my whole life, father retired Army and then ex-Army myself. You really aren't going to find anything cheap. You may get lucky every once in a while but that is few and far between. But the way cities in north Alabama are expanding it is getting harder.

I have been looking, too. I have quite a few friends that are in commercial and industrial real estate that let me know if they come up on anything but it is not really their expertise. They have found some but they have been a little rich for my blood. I have expanded my search to lower Tennessee and western Georgia too.

I will let you know if I hear of anymore. Of course only after I decide I am not interested in anymore. :) But don't worry I am really picky and it would have to be a heck of a deal, as I have a wedding coming up this year and planning to try to start having kids shortly after so I am trying to save money for all that.

There was a guy at my work selling some land. I forgot the details and why I wasn't interested in it but I will look into that first.

HK

Thanks. What is the definition of "pricey?"

C4

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 09:42
I can point you to 130 acres with a stocked 3.5 acre pond for $4500 an acre, in Lee County.

$4,500 an acre is what I would classify as expensive.

C4

gan1hck
01-23-13, 09:45

HK

I also live in Madison County, and I've been also looking on and off for the last 5 years .

Either too much, too far away from home, and too difficult to access for me....but then I'm picky also.

ryan
01-23-13, 09:45
Yeah, me too thats why I am not interested, the stocked pond and mature pines are what does it.

I also found a sizable piece for 2.5k p/a but Im looking at that ;D.

Ironman8
01-23-13, 09:49
I don't plan on building a house any time soon (or moving). Maybe a cabin at best. The land will mostly be used as a Range to host and teach classes during the winter months.

C4

Alabama gets pretty damn cold too, my friend.

Just tell your students to suck it up! :p

lethal dose
01-23-13, 09:53
Ever consider SC? Beautiful here. Cad Latham (VSM and m4c member), Scoby (m4c member), myself, or other area members would be glad to help you out. Very mild climate here.

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 09:54

LOL, no it doesn't.

C4

lethal dose
01-23-13, 09:55

With respect, I'm not sure you have a firm grasp on what cold is. It was 20 below zero with windchill factor in the area of ohio where I'm from. That's cold. :D

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 09:57
Ever consider SC? Beautiful here. Cad Latham (VSM and m4c member), Scoby (m4c member), myself, or other area members would be glad to help you out. Very mild climate here.

Was orig. looking VA, but in the Western part. Because of the elevation, it isn't any warmer than Ohio. :blink:

SC is a fine state, but I want to get as warm as I can. Alabama also has fantastic ratings for small business and some of the lowest property taxes in the country!

C4

halfkorean
01-23-13, 09:58
$4,500 an acre is what I would classify as expensive.

C4

For me it would be anything above $2500 an acre. But I am cheap. I mean even at $2500 an acre, it would have to be a good piece of land. Maybe that is why I still don't have land. :D

There are better deals in lower Alabama, below Montgomery. That is a little farther than I want to travel though. If I am going that far in am going to the beach.

HK

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 10:01
For me it would be anything above $2500 an acre. But I am cheap. I mean even at $2500 an acre, it would have to be a good piece of land. Maybe that is why I still don't have land. :D

There are better deals in lower Alabama, below Montgomery. That is a little farther than I want to travel though. If I am going that far in am going to the beach.

HK

Ya, I want to stay at $2500 an acre or less. This price is somewhat easy to find once you get into 200 acres or more (which is what I am considering).

C4

ryan
01-23-13, 10:03
Was orig. looking VA, but in the Western part. Because of the elevation, it isn't any warmer than Ohio. :blink:

SC is a fine state, but I want to get as warm as I can. Alabama also has fantastic ratings for small business and some of the lowest property taxes in the country!

C4

Shhhh, Grant dang man :D.

halfkorean
01-23-13, 10:03

Yeah, I mean it has been in like the upper 40s the past couple of days. :D. And schools closed early because they thought it might snow last week.

In all seriousness, we do get the occasional ice storm every 8 years or so. We just have to worry about tornados.

HK

Ironman8
01-23-13, 10:05
With respect, I'm not sure you have a firm grasp on what cold is. It was 20 below zero with windchill factor in the area of ohio where I'm from. That's cold. :D

I may be from TX, but I'm plenty aware of what cold is and that you can get colder temps in Ohio than Alabama. Didn't say otherwise. ;)

My point was that Alabama still has plenty of sub-freezing days in the winter, and when it comes to training, anything sub-freezing makes it harder/less enjoyable.

Hell, even TX gets below freezing :p

halfkorean
01-23-13, 10:07
Ya, I want to stay at $2500 an acre or less. This price is somewhat easy to find once you get into 200 acres or more (which is what I am considering).

C4

Yeah, 200+ acres would be easier to find cheaper. Hard to find it when you are looking in between 50-100 acres.

Let me know if you find some and need a "caretaker." I may volunteer my services. :D

HK

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 10:08
I may be from TX, but I'm plenty aware of what cold is and that you can get colder temps in Ohio than Alabama. Didn't say otherwise. ;)

My point was that Alabama still has plenty of sub-freezing days in the winter, and when it comes to training, anything sub-freezing makes it harder/less enjoyable.

I understand. 30 and sun to me is a Gift from GOD compared to what I've got right now. Todays high is 13. :mad:

C4

Ironman8
01-23-13, 10:11
I understand. 30 and sun to me is a Gift from GOD compared to what I've got right now. Todays high is 13. :mad:

C4

Lol, understood. I guess I didn't realize how cold it actually got in Ohio. Comparatively speaking, you may as well be sipping pina coladas in between drills :sarcastic:

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 10:12
Yeah, 200+ acres would be easier to find cheaper. Hard to find it when you are looking in between 50-100 acres.

Let me know if you find some and need a "caretaker." I may volunteer my services. :D

HK

Becareful what you wish for. You might get a job and access to ALL the training that I and Alias Training hold there (for free). ;)

C4

halfkorean
01-23-13, 10:20
Becareful what you wish for. You might get a job and access to ALL the training that I and Alias Training hold there (for free). ;)

C4

Definitely would be interested, if you were serious, and this gains any traction.

A good friend of mine, who was a special agent and firearms instructor with the FBI, and now TVA, and myself have discussed several times, giving at least basic level safety and firearm classes but really haven't gone into detail.

HK

rickwinger
01-23-13, 10:29

Hell, even TX gets below freezing :p

I live about the middle of the state and we had a 10-day stretch last winter when the temps did not go above freezing. Granted, 25* Fahrenheit is not as cold as 0* F with a 20 mph wind blowing (nets a wind chill of -22*), but at some point it's all just too cold to go outside. At least for me.

Regarding property in Alabama, the black belt area has huge tracts of former family farm land available at sub $1K per acre prices. I have a friend who has gradually accumulated just at 500 acres in northern Perry County with a 15 acre lake on the main piece. He bought at reasonable prices and the property is decent.

My suggestion would be to call and have the Sunday edition of the Huntsville Times, Birmingham News, and Montgomery Advertiser sent to you for a month of Sundays and see what comes across the classifieds. You might also try the Tuscaloosa News, but I get it pretty often and rarely see acreage advertised.

Another angle might be to obtain copies of some of the magazines that cater to instate markets - farmer's co-op pieces, such as that.

Good luck with the search. Personally, my wife and I decided a while back that if we moved one direction or the other we would go north towards the mountains rather than south towards the beach.

To each his own, in that regard -

warpigM-4
01-23-13, 10:32
Come on down to Blount County a lot of good farms and wooded areas around i will start looking around for you .I always wanted to train with you .this would be awesome :D

I would not get close to Huntsville that area has gone to hell

warpigM-4
01-23-13, 10:35
http://www.landwatch.com/Alabama_land_for_sale/Blount_County

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 10:46
Come on down to Blount County a lot of good farms and wooded areas around i will start looking around for you .I always wanted to train with you .this would be awesome :D

I have looked at this county via landwatch and a few others.

Usually the better deals can be found via word of mouth (hence this thread).

NOTE: If a member here helps me find a good deal on land, there IS an awesome reward waiting for you!

C4

warpigM-4
01-23-13, 10:50
Putting the word out to the family when i go to town i will start scoping out for sale signs for you .I would be glad to call you neighbor !! and a reward :secret: I am on this

halfkorean
01-23-13, 11:11

Haha... how has Huntsville gone to hell? :)

I take offense to that as an on again/off again native Huntsville-ian. :D My cousin lives in Oneonta, which I believe is in Blount county, so I guess it is as bad as I have heard.

HK

lethal dose
01-23-13, 11:29

NOTE: If a member here helps me find a good deal on land, there IS an awesome reward waiting for you!

C4
Haha. You'll just have to consider SC. PLUS... You'll have a VSM, lots of m4c members (20+), and a multitude of instructors at the ready. In the dead of winter (basically January) we rarely see anything below 40 during daytime hours. If you gave SC a second thought, I'll help in whatever area I can. Just a heads up. :cool:

steyrman13
01-23-13, 13:01

C4

On Landwatch, Check St. Clair County or Blount. There are severl in the 2000-2400 range. A few in Ashville, AL less than 1800per. Plus they are nearby me! I want to buy one of the ones in Ashville, but I don't have that much to put out.

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 14:06
On Landwatch, Check St. Clair County or Blount. There are severl in the 2000-2400 range. A few in Ashville, AL less than 1800per. Plus they are nearby me! I want to buy one of the ones in Ashville, but I don't have that much to put out.

I am basically looking in ever county in the Northern section of the State.

C4

steyrman13
01-23-13, 14:18
What is the furthest south county you would be interested in? Dekalb and Jackson can have some good prices, along with Colbert Franklin and Lawrence

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 19:20
What is the furthest south county you would be interested in? Dekalb and Jackson can have some good prices, along with Colbert Franklin and Lawrence

Right now, I am really focused on Jackson County. There are some real values there.

C4

halfkorean
01-23-13, 19:47
Right now, I am really focused on Jackson County. There are some real values there.

C4

Jackson County is a nice area. It may be pretty "hilly" in some areas but still nice.

SeriousStudent
01-23-13, 20:50
Grant, do you have your heart set on Alabama?

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 20:52

At this point, yes. Ease of travel from Ohio (under 10hr drive), land cost, property taxes and business friendly.

C4

Ironman8
01-23-13, 20:56

Already been down that road, brother ;)

You can only lead a horse to water :p

C4IGrant
01-23-13, 20:59
Apparently, we are wanted in Texas. :D

C4

SeriousStudent
01-23-13, 21:28

C4

I'm already helping six other shooters move here. You, Roxanne and the boys would get me up to ten, filling my monthly quota. ;)

I understand about the drive, however.

Do remember that we have all the pig's you'll ever want to shoot over here.

Ironman8
01-23-13, 21:29

C4

Nah, I just want that reward :D

C4IGrant
01-24-13, 08:08
Nah, I just want that reward :D

LOL, figures.

C4

Crow Hunter
01-24-13, 08:52
At this point, yes. Ease of travel from Ohio (under 10hr drive), land cost, property taxes and business friendly.

C4

Tennessee is closer and has NO INCOME TAX!

Depending on where you want to be and what land features you want, it can be cheaper too.

I am selling 200 acres right now for $1,000 an acre. It is cut over timber land though, mostly hills and gullies.

It would be really nice to have someone other than Tactical Response in the area for training. :)

Other than EAG once are twice a year in Franklin you have to drive to Memphis for Tom Givens or over into Arkansas for Tier 1 G.

Plus no one in the area is teaching what you are teaching. (Vickers)

Ironman8
01-24-13, 09:31
LOL, figures.

C4

Haha, good luck in your search my friend. I'll come out for a class once you're up and running.

nineteenkilo
01-24-13, 09:36
I'm originally from the area you are looking at albeit a little further south. I'm from the Mentone/Valley Head/Fort Payne area originally. I've lived all over CONUS and I can say, without any reservations, that you'll love it in Alabama.

Just learn to speak 'Appalachian' - not southern. Huge difference.

I've got a ton of kin in Dekalb County so I'll get them to start looking. It's a lot cheaper in Dekalb (with the exception of the Mentone area), so maybe they'll know where to look. I'm currently in Fayette County, but I'm always looking for a reason to head up to the hills of home. Holler if you decide to come snoop around and we can at least hit the high spots.

warpigM-4
01-24-13, 10:59
Haha... how has Huntsville gone to hell? :)

I take offense to that as an on again/off again native Huntsville-ian. :D My cousin lives in Oneonta, which I believe is in Blount county, so I guess it is as bad as I have heard.

HK

well last time i was in Huntsville it was pretty bad LOL the outside of the city limits is Ok I guess :sarcastic: Oneonta is not my Favorite place I had to move in with the Mother in law :blink: Nice country town
All us Alabama folks need to plan a Party when Grant defects down here a weekend of shooting and grilling OH YEAH:D

skydivr
01-24-13, 11:05
Tennessee is closer and has NO INCOME TAX!

Depending on where you want to be and what land features you want, it can be cheaper too.

I am selling 200 acres right now for $1,000 an acre. It is cut over timber land though, mostly hills and gullies.

It would be really nice to have someone other than Tactical Response in the area for training. :)

Other than EAG once are twice a year in Franklin you have to drive to Memphis for Tom Givens or over into Arkansas for Tier 1 G.

Plus no one in the area is teaching what you are teaching. (Vickers)

Well...not entirely true. Hall tax is currently 6% on investment income (dividends) but the supermajority Republican legislature is trying to remove it. and we have a pretty high state sales tax (9.25%)

That's right, TN has a Rep Gov, and a supermajority in the house/senate first time in over 100 years. Our budget is balanced. We are a right-to-work state. 2A is strongly supported here. Either state you couldn't go wrong Grant.

Crow Hunter
01-24-13, 11:53
Well...not entirely true. Hall tax is currently 6% on investment income (dividends) but the supermajority Republican legislature is trying to remove it. and we have a pretty high state sales tax (9.25%)

That's right, TN has a Rep Gov, and a supermajority in the house/senate first time in over 100 years. Our budget is balanced. We are a right-to-work state. 2A is strongly supported here. Either state you couldn't go wrong Grant.

You are correct.

Most people don't know about the Hall Tax since not many people get hit with it, I am glad they are trying to get rid of it.

I didn't know they were trying that. I need to call my Rep/Sen and let them know I support them.

lethal dose
01-24-13, 12:36
What part of TN, crow hunter?

skydivr
01-24-13, 12:58
Lastly, Fort Campbell's location on the TN/KY border makes for some really good gun business as plenty of retirees and other like-minded individuals live here...

Crow Hunter
01-24-13, 13:15
What part of TN, crow hunter?

West.

Right outside of Huntingdon TN.

Where I grew up.

35-45 Min from Paris Landing and Camden TN. (River)

About 2 hours from Ft Campbell. 2-2.5 hours from Nashville or Memphis.

Rolling hills, very rural. Although Jackson TN has some decent industry.

Hit me with a PM if you want more details.

Tigereye
02-16-13, 22:51
Grant,
I have a lot of friends and family in N. AL around Huntsville and Decatur. I live in Lee County and there is land around less expensive than $4,500 per ac. Do you have a specific area of N. AL in mind?
Eric

C4IGrant
02-17-13, 08:10
Grant,
I have a lot of friends and family in N. AL around Huntsville and Decatur. I live in Lee County and there is land around less expensive than $4,500 per ac. Do you have a specific area of N. AL in mind?
Eric

No, not really. Just looking for a fair price.

C4

munch520
02-17-13, 08:34

We're looking at doing the same thing. 380-500 acres down in Athens county.