PDA

View Full Version : "Wear" parts in an AK?

Mark21
01-23-13, 08:55
As a relative newcomer to the AK platform, I was wondering if there are spare parts to have on hand for parts that wear or might break. For example, with the AR platform, I've replaced gas rings and extractors, and have spare bolts on hand which I expect will need changing before the barrels do.

I've contacted the two US manufacturers of the AKs that I have, and one said not to worry about it as nothing really wears out, and the other said that accuracy will probably start to degrade slightly at 10k and then prob run its course at 25k, but he has never has seen any parts need replacing and no need for a spare bolt or FCG.

I'm willing to have those answers settle the question, but I'm sure there are people here who have run their AKs really hard -- ie, tens of thousands of rounds. Would make me feel better if you could chime in that it really is simply a barrel swap at some point and you are done. Or not...

96 SS
01-23-13, 09:30
If you are shooting semi-auto you can reasonably expect the barrel to last 50K or more. Provided it is original com-bloc chrome lined.

In general AK's are not "serviceable" like AR's. Bolts don't swap like an AR so no need to grab another. If anything, grab an extractor spring. Basically everything else (and usually that too) are life of the rifle items.

Jippo
01-23-13, 09:41
If you are shooting semi-auto you can reasonably expect the barrel to last 50K or more. Provided it is original com-bloc chrome lined.

In general AK's are not "serviceable" like AR's. Bolts don't swap like an AR so no need to grab another. If anything, grab an extractor spring. Basically everything else (and usually that too) are life of the rifle items.

Chromelining isn't the key to long lasting barrels, if it is quality steel it will last regardless. But I can't think other maintenance than replacing extractor and extractor spring every 20k-30k, and that is relevant only if you shoot steel cased rounds. I have broken 2 firing pins during my life, so that is something one could have in storage. And maybe spare pins for the bolt.

I do have a spare bolt at home but as said, they may not be interchangeable depending on the manufacturer (check your particular situation). Others will be, but it would be wise to check headspace with the new bolt after installation in every case.

Mark21
01-23-13, 11:51
Thanks guys. Exactly what I was looking for.

GunBugBit
01-23-13, 11:52
I expect my AK to outlast me. I won't discuss my personal "wear" parts.

96 SS
01-23-13, 12:02
Chromelining isn't the key to long lasting barrels, if it is quality steel it will last regardless.

Correct (and MFG'd properly), but the easy way to ID this for the AK is if it has the original spec chrome lined HF barrel.

Jippo
01-23-13, 13:14
Correct (and MFG'd properly), but the easy way to ID this for the AK is if it has the original spec chrome lined HF barrel.

I guess my point was that there shouldn't be a problem with those AK's barrels that do come out of factory without chrome lining. At least Finnish and IIRC Yugoslavian AK's do not feature chrome lining, and as far as I am aware there is no durability problems with these guns.

At least my Finn has several 10k through it with rifling fully intact.

KalashniKEV
01-23-13, 14:28
At least Finnish and IIRC Yugoslavian AK's do not feature chrome lining, and as far as I am aware there is no durability problems with these guns.

I'm a Yugo lover, but some of the kits that came out of the Civil War have some pretty nasty bores (though they usually shoot OK).

Chrome lining could have saved some of that corrosion and pitting from happening.

I'm sure the Finnish AKs don't have this issue because you perform weapons maintenance.

SPQR476
01-23-13, 14:53
+1 to Pins, springs, and retaining clips/plates.

Other than that, the best spare parts kit is to just have another AK.

Dave_M
01-24-13, 00:32
I've seen a lot of shit break on AK's. However, it is much harder to make a replacement parts list when [invariably] compared to the AR-15.

The main problem is that each part is made by a myriad of different nations to dubious standards.

If you're asking for a list of parts I've seen broken, well all of them have succumbed to failure at one point in time or another (depending on manufacture and firing schedules).

As to what to stock up on? First and foremost, American parts are largely inferior to foreign parts (kinda backwards when compared to other industries).

I'd have spare disconnectors and springs. Recoil springs. Hammer springs. Shepard's hooks. The cost of replacing a barrel is around the cost of a new AKM so don't bother unless you are already experienced with barrel changes with the AK/AKM.

A spare head-spaced bolt is never a negative but harder to achieve with the AK/AKM when compared to an AR-15/M-16 (oh ask me about head space and be prepared to receive a rant...)

In short: Have a spare FCG manufacturered by the same nation as your host AK. Have some spare springs. Ensure your receiver doesn't suck.

GunBugBit
01-24-13, 10:02
Thanks Dave for sharing that info.

halmbarte
01-26-13, 22:18
Spare extractor and firing pin for me. Also have a couple recoil springs and a few other springs.

H

Bret
01-27-13, 19:46
+1 to Pins, springs, and retaining clips/plates.
Other than that, the best spare parts kit is to just have another AK.
+1 Buy the spare parts to cover everything that might break (but likely won't) and you could have bought another AK.

That said, here's a list of the parts that came in the Polish Armorers Kits that were available a while back.
1. 1-56 underfolding stock mounting pins
2. 1-58 u/f stock detents (internal)
3. 1-57 u/f stock spring caps
4. 1-59 u/f stock springs
5. 1-60 u/f stock nuts
6. 1-61 u/f stock pins
7. 0-3 hammer springs
8. 0-5 automatic sears
9. 0-6 automatic sear springs
10. 0-7 hammer retarder latches
11. 0-11N magazine catches
12. 0-16 pistol grip screw nuts
13. 0-17 hammer retarder latch rivets
14. 0-18 hammer retarder springs
15. 1-38 muzzle device detent spring
16. 4-4 return spring retainers
17. 0-10 disconnector springs
18. 0-12 magazine catch springs
19. 0-13 magazine catch pins
20. 0-19 pistol grip screws
21. 0-23 rear sight leaf springs
22. 0-25 fire control group pins
23. 1-32 front sight posts
24. 1-40B-N upper handguards
25. 1-41 upper handguard springs
26. 3-5B firing pins
27. 3-6 extractors
28. 3-7 extractor springs
29. 3-9 firing pin retention pins
30. 3-10 extractor retention pins
31. 7-9 magazine springs
32. Zesp. 1-22 u/f stock right strut
33. Zesp. 1-23 u/f stock left strut
34. Zsp. 1-24 u/f stock detents (external)
35. Zsp. 1-10B uf/ stock sling swivels
36. Zsp. 1-3 selector levers
37. Zsp. 2 rear sight leaves
38. Zsp. 4 return spring assemblies
39. Zsp. 6B lower handguards
40. Zsp. 8B pistol grips
41. 1 cleaning rods
42. 3 gast port reamer
43. Zsp. 1-3 bayonet wrist straps
44. Zsp. 2-3 bayonet hangers
45. 2-8 bayonet scabbard tension springs
46. 2-10 bayonet hanger snap hooks

Keep in mind that these armorers kits were made for their underfolding AKM's. Ignore the numbers to the left of the descriptions. Those are just the numbers that are on the packaging. I have used a few of these parts when doing builds, but only because the part was missing from the parts kit.