PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal SLR 101S Brake Help

thopkins22
01-23-13, 13:16
Having trouble removing the muzzle brake from my Arsenal SLR 101S.

I've only owned one other and it came with a slant brake that quite literally rattled. This thing is on something fierce.

Do I need to worry about getting it in a barrel vise before I put too much torque on it? I assume(and Arsenal's web page tells me) that it's left hand threads.

It's becoming an obsession to get this thing off so I can put on a AKBC.

lowprone
01-23-13, 13:40
You turning it the " right " way ?

thopkins22
01-23-13, 13:46
You turning it the " right " way ?

As though I was tightening a normal muzzle device yes. Also as though I was putting a lid on a bottle.

It's on there something fierce. I put a screwdriver through the slots, the damned shaft was bending but no movement.

Yes, I'm also holding down the spring loaded detent.

cynical
01-23-13, 14:34
Stupid question I know, but are you sure it's not pinned? Mine is.

thopkins22
01-23-13, 14:46
Stupid question I know, but are you sure it's not pinned? Mine is.

I'll be ****ing pissed if it is...especially since I've already dinged it up trying to get it off. Got a picture of where/how they pinned it?

I'm staring at it and can't see anything that remotely looks like the work BCM did pinning a brake on my 14.5". Or any marks at all really.

And it has a bayonet lug etc....

bryan1211
01-23-13, 19:22
FYI my 101s is the same...

Also, I'm pretty sure these are not pinned. I love the stock brake (and the fact that there is no wobble) but, will check back on how you removed it.

cynical
01-24-13, 12:31
I'll be ****ing pissed if it is...especially since I've already dinged it up trying to get it off. Got a picture of where/how they pinned it?

I'm staring at it and can't see anything that remotely looks like the work BCM did pinning a brake on my 14.5". Or any marks at all really.

And it has a bayonet lug etc....

It would be pretty obvious, hence my "stupid question". The flats on the bottom would stand out even with a new finish, and mine (ban version) does not have a bayonet lug.

I never did get around to taking mine off, even though I do have the flash supressor to replace it. Just out of curiosity I gave it a try last night. The pins came out more easily than I expected, but the damn thing will NOT move at all. This weekend the torch comes out.

If mine has some sort of Bulgarian threadlocker on it, post-ban models may as well.

thopkins22
01-24-13, 15:04
For what it's worth the old Benzomatic loosened it up in no time flat. That and using a screwdriver for leverage(which did chew up the brake somewhat.)

Appears to have been put on with red loctite.

bryan1211
01-24-13, 17:14
Nice! Now are you replacing it? Or just wanted it off?

Just installed a Krebs rear peep sight for my 101s today... It shot great last week with the standard rear sight, but you never know what works for you in till you try right? :p

thopkins22
01-24-13, 17:18
Nice! Now are you replacing it? Or just wanted it off?

Just installed a Krebs rear peep sight for my 101s today... It shot great last week with the standard rear sight, but you never know what works for you in till you try right? :p

I wanted to make sure I could get the MFer off before ordering an AKBC.

So yes, I'll be replacing it...though it's back on now just to protect the muzzle and threads.

cynical
01-24-13, 19:05
Mostly related question: since my SLR is a ban type, it doesn't have the spring-loaded pin to catch and index the muzzle device. I'm just going to use a basic flash hider for now, so I'm not worried about indexing it, I just want to keep it on there without resorting to loctite. Anyone know a source for 14mm crush washers? Brownells doesn't sell that size, CNC Warrior is out of stock. I'm not going to cheap out and use a copper or aluminum washer meant for oil pan plugs.

WS6
02-21-13, 04:47
For what it's worth the old Benzomatic loosened it up in no time flat. That and using a screwdriver for leverage(which did chew up the brake somewhat.)

Appears to have been put on with red loctite.

More like rust.
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=192346

I just bought one of these, and it this is the case, back it goes, not even going to fill out the 4473 on it until I remove that muzzle device. That's just bullshit on a $1299 rifle.

thopkins22
02-25-13, 20:35
More like rust.
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=192346

I just bought one of these, and it this is the case, back it goes, not even going to fill out the 4473 on it until I remove that muzzle device. That's just bullshit on a $1299 rifle.

Definitely NOT rust on mine.

That link was not what mine looked like at all. I'd have been pissed about that...but this was definitely red loctite.

Deep reddish goop that mostly wiped off while it was hot...and entirely with a rag and acetone.

WS6
02-25-13, 22:23
Definitely NOT rust on mine.

That link was not what mine looked like at all. I'd have been pissed about that...but this was definitely red loctite.

Deep reddish goop that mostly wiped off while it was hot...and entirely with a rag and acetone.

Then it wasnt loctite, either. There is no solvent that reduces it. Certainly not acetone. I'm glad to hear it wasn't rust, either, though!

thopkins22
02-25-13, 22:40
There is no solvent that reduces it.

Methylene Chloride will per their TDS.

But if acetone won't, and looking at the ingredients in Red Loctite I agree with you, I'm not sure what the hell it was. Something red that took heat to liquefy.

But I've not seen actual Red Loctite that had to get to 482 to let go either...and I considering I only gave it heat for a few seconds I doubt the brake got that hot.

It's possible but not likely that it failed to fully cure. I've seen this with other thread lockers...put it on, and in a few weeks remove it noticing that it's still the same consistency that it was when I applied it.

I had an email to Arsenal at the time I created this thread and have not heard back.

WS6
02-26-13, 01:04
Methylene Chloride will per their TDS.

But if acetone won't, and looking at the ingredients in Red Loctite I agree with you, I'm not sure what the hell it was. Something red that took heat to liquefy.

But I've not seen actual Red Loctite that had to get to 482 to let go either...and I considering I only gave it heat for a few seconds I doubt the brake got that hot.

It's possible but not likely that it failed to fully cure. I've seen this with other thread lockers...put it on, and in a few weeks remove it noticing that it's still the same consistency that it was when I applied it.

I had an email to Arsenal at the time I created this thread and have not heard back.

I have messaged KVAR about this with no response.

Anyway, I have a bit of knowledge on Loctite because I bought a Benelli M1014 and a Ti mag-tube. That led to all sorts of problems with curing and bonding, as both anodized 7075 and Ti are nearly 100% inert. So I did a TON of research on it, and I had to remove some Loctite 242 to apply Loctite 243. I could not get a solvent that would hurt it. I tried: 91% IPA, Acetone, Mineral spirits, CLP tyle stuff, and heat. Heat softened it, but it never became liquid at any temp I felt comfortable getting on a 7075 alloy receiver with my heat-gun. Not even "kinda gummy". More like "A tiny bit easier to chip off". (which can get stuff stoopid hot, I don't know how hot, but it melts things.)

My best guess is some sort of RTV sealant or something in that family is what you encountered. Not a cyanoacrylate like the Loctite family.

Anyway, it's a moot point, my rifles will arrive how they arrive. I simply hope the solution is simple, if one is required.

Ryno12
02-26-13, 06:04
Anyone know a source for 14mm crush washers?

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-832/M14x1-TPI-7.62-AK47/Detail

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

doodi1
02-26-13, 14:18
I tried removing mine also, and the sumbitch does not MOVE! I guess it will need to be heated to loosen up the Loctite, but why use Loctite at all? I would like to shake the hand of the Brainiac at Arsenal who came up with this stupid idea! :angry:

WS6
02-27-13, 08:19
I tried removing mine also, and the sumbitch does not MOVE! I guess it will need to be heated to loosen up the Loctite, but why use Loctite at all? I would like to shake the hand of the Brainiac at Arsenal who came up with this stupid idea! :angry:

Have you removed it yet?

doodi1
02-27-13, 10:38
Not, yet, I have not decided on what to replace it with. I am thinking either:
1. Vortex Flash Hider
2. Manticore Arms Night Shroud
3. Spikes Tactical Dynacomp for AK's which has been out of production for a while now.

The standard brake is not bad for the time being and since it might be a distinct possibility of damaging the brake while trying to remove it, I don't want to do it until i have the replacement in hand.

WS6
02-27-13, 10:58
Not, yet, I have not decided on what to replace it with. I am thinking either:
1. Vortex Flash Hider
2. Manticore Arms Night Shroud
3. Spikes Tactical Dynacomp for AK's which has been out of production for a while now.

The standard brake is not bad for the time being and since it might be a distinct possibility of damaging the brake while trying to remove it, I don't want to do it until i have the replacement in hand.

Seriously? It's THAT "on there"? How have you tried to remove it, thus far?

doodi1
02-27-13, 11:27
Seriously? It's THAT "on there"? How have you tried to remove it, thus far?

just tried unscrewing it by hand, and since it did not budge, i have left it alone until I make up my mind on what to replace it with.