PDA

View Full Version : Feedback for beginner

Bcs379
01-23-13, 23:47
I apologize for posting this type of thread, but I have been researching as much as I can within the last few weeks and still baffled by the amount of information and options. I have a general consensus in what I am looking for, but at the same time would like feedback.

Background: I am interested in getting in to precision shooting. I am a college student graduating soon. Working full-time, I am saving up about $300-$600 per month to fund this.

Current skill set: None pretty much. This will be my first precision rifle. Once I graduate, I will have the free time to be able to take classes from reputable instructors.

Purpose: To begin to learn the concepts of long range precision shooting. I have a 100yd range within 5 miles of my house. I have a 500yd range within a 1.5 hour distance. I also plan to use this rifle for hunting in Florida and Georgia.

Budget: Scope --> $1,000 Rifle --> $800-$1,000 as a base line.

Currently looking at the following:
Either a .270, .30-06, or .308 caliber
Remington 700 Action

Any information, advice, or help would be appreciated.

-Brandon

orkan
01-24-13, 00:17
scope - Vortex Viper PST 4-16 mil/mil/ffp
rifle - rem700 sps varmint (you'll need the 26" tube to push 150's-155's hard for hunting)
seekins 20moa base
badger rings
harris bipod

That will be right in your budget.

In order to be right you'll need a new stock and a new trigger. Save for another month or two, and you'll be all the way there.

Bcs379
01-24-13, 00:33
Thank you Orkan.

I will definitely keep saving towards that.

Someone had recommended to me to wait until the Remington 783 hits stores, what's your opinion on that?

Also, of the three calibers listed above, is there one you recommend over others? If so, why?

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-24-13, 07:08
scope - Vortex Viper PST 4-16 mil/mil/ffp
rifle - rem700 sps varmint (you'll need the 26" tube to push 150's-155's hard for hunting)
seekins 20moa base
badger rings
harris bipod

That will be right in your budget.

In order to be right you'll need a new stock and a new trigger. Save for another month or two, and you'll be all the way there.

I'm with Greg, there is also a plethora of used turn key rifles out there. Only thing I disagree with him on is the bullet weight and its just personal preference.

orkan
01-24-13, 08:51
I like 175's for whacking steel... but when it comes to hunting deer, slow bullets suck balls. Pigs, well 175's rock there too.

taliv
01-24-13, 10:44
if you are in northern florida, go to http://kmprecisionrifletraining.com/

talk to shannon. tell him i sent you. they have a class this weekend. you can rent their guns (lots of high dollar stuff) and get a lot of hands on and a thorough understanding before you buy.

btw, they're good friends. i don't have any business relationship with them. but that is me in the first picture on their website (coincidentally... a random pic from the GAP Grind PRS match back in October)

Bcs379
01-24-13, 11:45
I will definitely look in to them for training later on. Due to school and work though, it won't be until August unfortunately.