PDA

View Full Version : Components Famine = New Ammo

870pilot
01-24-13, 09:02
In this time of bullet, brass and primer drought, I'm wondering if ammo makers are "reserving" said components to manufacture factory ammo instead of selling bullets and primers to reloaders. Could the fact that big guys like Federal or Remington make more dollars on complete ammo - if that is indeed a fact - add to the component famine?

thei3ug
01-24-13, 09:39
Depends on their capacity to manufacture full cartridges compared to the capacity to produce components. How many cartridge manufacturers are relying on how many component manufacturers and their respective capacities is anyone's guess.

As a general primer, however, they're not incentivized to over order. They'll order just enough to meet their capacity needs and to prevent a stockout.

870pilot
01-24-13, 09:49
Depends on their capacity to manufacture full cartridges compared to the capacity to produce components. How many cartridge manufacturers are relying on how many component manufacturers and their respective capacities is anyone's guess.

As a general primer, however, they're not incentivized to over order. They'll order just enough to meet their capacity needs and to prevent a stockout.

And thus, the quality of your reply, is why I post here. Thanks. Things I ponder while searching the WWW for compo's. Even my go to, BrassMan Brass, is wiped out of black rifle cases and bullets, where once was piles of brass, as their website still offers.

BC98
01-24-13, 09:55
Most of the large manufacturers produce nearly everything in house (except for powder) to control costs. Components available from Federal, Remington, etc. are only a function of what ISN'T needed for full ammo production.

It's not necessarily a matter of what provides more profit, it's a matter of filling orders.

Onyx Z
01-24-13, 12:43
i guess it could be possible, but I've found primers/powder much easier than loaded ammo.

Hydguy
01-24-13, 18:00
In my local AO, everything is impossible to find.

I have 5K CCI#41 primers and 4 lbs of CFE223 on back order with one local shop.

I was able to score 3k of the primers and 3lbs of H335 from one store, but that was all they had, and noting inbound for a while from the looks of things.
I
I had to drive an hour to another gun store and was able to get 2k #41's and 2lbs of BL-C(2), as they had a limit of 2 per person.
Wish my pup could have come in and bought the other 2 boxes of primers!!

870pilot
01-24-13, 19:46
In my local AO, everything is impossible to find.

I have 5K CCI#41 primers and 4 lbs of CFE223 on back order with one local shop.

I was able to score 3k of the primers and 3lbs of H335 from one store, but that was all they had, and noting inbound for a while from the looks of things.
I
I had to drive an hour to another gun store and was able to get 2k #41's and 2lbs of BL-C(2), as they had a limit of 2 per person.
Wish my pup could have come in and bought the other 2 boxes of primers!!

hell, if i was closer i would have come in bought the other 2 boxes and split them with ya. same here compo DROUGHT:(