PDA

View Full Version : Any tricks to keep lint from sticking so much to pocket pistol?

blockagent
01-24-13, 09:23
I carry at work, but because it needs to be absolutely discrete so as not to cause any employees to feel uncomfortable, I carry a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster in my right front pocket. Problem is, even after just 1 day in my pocket, the gun is covered in lint. Inside the barrel and inside every crevice I can see into, there is a significant layer of lint built up.

I don't want this to affect the reliability of the weapon should the day come that I have to deploy it to protect my self and my employees from danger. Is there any trick I can do to make lint stick to my LCP less? Maybe so that all I have to do to remove the lint is spray it with a little compressed air. I would hate to have to break it down and clean it every day.

Urban_Redneck
01-24-13, 09:27
Turn your pocket inside out and run a vacuum and a lint roller over it.

Shorts
01-24-13, 09:49
Yup, keep your pockets clean. When you put our pants on in the morning do a quick flip inside out and clean the pockets. By never emptying them out it allows lint to build up in there.

ST911
01-24-13, 09:55
"...covered in lint" and "...significant layer" are subject to some definition, but I think you're probably over-thinking it. Got a picture? If you have a legitimate accumulation of lint, consider what you're washing your pants with, what your pocket lining is made of, or what holster you're using and adjust. Like Urban Redneck suggests, you can also turn the pocket inside out and brush or blow it off before putting the gun in.

Carry the gun for a few days, let the lint accumulate, then shoot it in that condition to test function. I bet you'll find that it's fine.

bigghoss
01-24-13, 10:07
If the pocket lint buildup is affecting the gun's reliability, there's either something wrong with the gun or something wrong with your pants.

Carry the gun for a few days, let the lint accumulate, then shoot it in that condition to test function. I bet you'll find that it's fine.

Try this. Then, as others have stated, keep your pocket as free of lint and crud as is practical.

ImBroke
01-24-13, 10:19
I have one of those lint rollers with the sticky roll of paper on it. Freshly washed pants get their gun pocket rolled out and it takes less than a minute.

skydivr
01-24-13, 10:59
Same thing with my Bodyguard. Just blow it out with compressed air every once in a while when you see it accumulate. If it really bothers you, go clean it. A little lint is not going to cause a malfunction when you really need it.

sproc
01-24-13, 11:17
Turn your pockets inside out before putting them into the washing machine.

jameseguerin@hotmail.com
01-24-13, 11:22
Turn your pockets inside out before putting them into the washing machine.

This! +1

blockagent
01-24-13, 11:25
Thanks guys, sometimes we just need the simplest thoughts put into our heads for them to click, lol. I will turn the pockets inside out when washing, then lint roll them when I put them in the dresser drawer from now on.

ggammell
01-24-13, 14:34
I've noticed a massive reduction in lint from using a galco leather pocket holster. I noticed an even further reduction once I switched to froglube.

helothar
01-24-13, 14:41
A certain g19's front sight is always covered in lint after a couple weeks of IWB carry with a Raven Phantom, i just blow it off, re-holster, and keep truckin.

RWK
01-24-13, 17:03
I carry a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster in my right front pocket. Problem is, even after just 1 day in my pocket, the gun is covered in lint. Inside the barrel and inside every crevice I can see into, there is a significant layer of lint built up.

Such a significant buildup of lint in only one day is odd. I pocket-carry a J-frame all day, every day (12+ hours on average) and only occasionally need to blow a small amount of lint off of the gun. A can of compressed air does the trick for me.

Is your daily work environment dirty/dusty? What pocket holster do you use? Do you use any surface lubricant on your pistol?

I ask about the pocket holster because I've noticed less lint build-up since I switched from a Mika to an Aholster kydex holster.

crhoades
01-24-13, 19:13
I also pocket carry a lcp. Be sure to clean out the dryer's lint catch before running them in the dryer and also use snuggle dryer sheets. :p

Eliakim
01-24-13, 19:43
I've carried a S&W J-frame in a DeSantis Super FlyŽ pocket holster for years and never had a problem with excessive lint. Maybe the material or construction of the holster has some bearing on this.

blockagent
01-25-13, 10:23
Such a significant buildup of lint in only one day is odd. I pocket-carry a J-frame all day, every day (12+ hours on average) and only occasionally need to blow a small amount of lint off of the gun. A can of compressed air does the trick for me.

Is your daily work environment dirty/dusty? What pocket holster do you use? Do you use any surface lubricant on your pistol?

I ask about the pocket holster because I've noticed less lint build-up since I switched from a Mika to an Aholster kydex holster.

I don't use any surface lubricant on the outside of the gun. My work environment is an office building, so no dust/dirt. I use a Tucker Gun Leather pocket holster. It is similar to this one: http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server1400/6a32b/products/66/images/153/pocket_holster__83622.1324398787.220.220.gif

EzGoingKev
01-25-13, 17:30
I was getting crud built up in the barrel of my Glock so I cleaned it off and sprayed it with a dry film lube.

FAB45
01-25-13, 21:16
A decent Kydex pocket holster should eliminate this. Not a big problem

wesshipman
01-26-13, 12:35
I just use an air duster and blow the dust off occasionally. I also disassemble it and clean it regularly.

But I do like the suggestions of flipping my pockets inside out to get the lint out.

My LCP is my lazy day gun. It's my running out the door, I need something kind of gun. Primary is a Glock 23.

GH41
01-26-13, 15:41
I use Dupont dry lube on my Seecamp and have no lint problems. I don't carry in a holster. I wouldn't use it on a gun I shot a lot but does fine for 6 shots. GH

mashed68
01-26-13, 21:57
I pocket carry a kahr pm9 all day every day. It can go at least a month before it gets enough buildup to make me feel the need to clean it, and its never stopped it from working.

blueorison
02-12-13, 23:59
Stop putting lint in your pocket.

Problem solved.

You can also tape the insides of your pocket with duct-tape. :)

RagweedZulu
02-13-13, 00:09
Blockagent, you gotta stop wearing those burlap pants. :stop: