PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new handgun

Smirak
01-24-13, 11:12
I won't ask for "the best" out there for $xxx as I think that is really a subjective question. Here's what I want:

9mm or .40 s&w
New
$500 or less
used for self defense, plinking, possible CCW/open carry in Kansas

I am very familiar with Glocks as that's what I carried many years ago. I'm also eligible for the Glock Blue Label Program. That said, I'm open to any suggestions you guys have. I'm currently living in KS and am going to a gun show this weekend and want to purchase then...

Bring on your suggestions...

Thanks!
Kevin

jameseguerin@hotmail.com
01-24-13, 11:20
I hope your area is better than mine...nothing in the new poly/striker 9mm range in my area for less than 599.

Glock 19 in my area is going for $749.00 :mad:

crusader377
01-24-13, 13:06
Personally, I would go with this for $500.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=309701

If not the M&P, I would check out the Glock 17/19, Walther PPQ (good luck finding one and will be over budget), or possibly a FN FNX or FNS.

skydivr
01-24-13, 13:07
Under the Blue Label program, if you can find one I think you get $100 off (that's about $400 for a Gen4 19 before all this happend)...at least I did...

WickedWillis
01-24-13, 13:09
Personally, I would go with this for $500.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=309701

If not the M&P, I would check out the Glock 17/19, Walther PPQ (good luck finding one and will be over budget), or possibly a FN FNX or FNS.

Crusader is right on the money thats a very solid deal on a great handgun,

Smirak
01-24-13, 13:15
Thanks for all the suggestions so far...I've actually been looking at the s&w m&p line. $50 rebate for military isn't too shabby either...

Also looking at the sig p2022 and p250 as well as any number of blue label Glocks...

Kevin

WickedWillis
01-24-13, 13:19
You really seem to know quality. I don't believe you could go wrong with any of the weapons you have named. The deal on the M&P though is great.

dwheelock
01-24-13, 13:46
Being familiar with Glocks I would think that would be the easiest for you to go back to, unless you are looking to try something different. Seems everyone has pointed you in a good direction so far

Smirak
01-24-13, 17:55
I've narrowed my choices down to these:
Glock 23 Gen 4
Sig P2022 9mm cause I can't find it in 40
Sig P250 9mm cause I can't find it in 40
S&W M&P 40/9 in full frame or compact frame

Glock I can get for $435 blue label pricing.
Sig for around $450
Smiths for $398 with a $50 manufacturers rebate

What are your thoughts?

I haven't really shot a pistol in close to 15 years aside from just plinking here and there at the range. I didn't particularly like the way the smith felt in my had, the sig's felt good, but the glock was like a familiar friend coming home...

TriviaMonster
01-24-13, 18:02
The Sig P250 is a terrible gun. Just Terrible. Get a GLOCK or M&P. Don't bother with the Sig 2022 either. Its better than the P250 but its no Glock or M&P. Plus neither can match the Glock or M&P for magazine availability (when this whole panic dies down) or holster or parts or anything.

ETA I have a Gen 3 G23 and its a great gun if you like .40.
Its funny how we never traded a little bit of freedom of religion after the Jonestown Massacre.

Insta-Gator
01-24-13, 18:27
I've had many different type, calibre, style handguns. Recently purchased Glock 27. It's great. Use a Blackhawk holster and it's the most comfortable daily carry I've ever had. Significantly smaller and lighter than my HK USP 40 but not as light as my S&W Airlite .38, but has twice as many rounds. I also put the magazine extender on so I have a place to put my pinky.

Vulture38
01-24-13, 18:31
Good luck to your wallet OP.

wesshipman
01-24-13, 18:37
Can't go wrong with a Glock 23 or 27

wesshipman
01-24-13, 18:39
....also that M&P in the link posted above is a great deal. And it comes with a Raven Concealment Holster! For the price and the included holster, you definitely can't go wrong with that!

Atlshaun
01-24-13, 18:59
Either the mp or the glock will serve you well

DarrinD2
01-24-13, 20:28
I have a G17 and M&P9c. For concealed carry I've never had a pistol better than the M&P, but a G19 is a close second for me. As mentioned above, all the above suggestions are good choices, especially the ones you can get with a discount.

CAVDOC
01-24-13, 21:37
In the price range you give the glock is the way to go in new guns. Also really consider used guns. Lots of older pd trade ins out there in 9/40 for under 400 bucks. Beretta glock sig 3rd gen smith's. most cop guns can look shaggy on the outside from carry wear but often have been shot very little

Smirak
01-24-13, 21:54
In the price range you give the glock is the way to go in new guns. Also really consider used guns. Lots of older pd trade ins out there in 9/40 for under 400 bucks. Beretta glock sig 3rd gen smith's. most cop guns can look shaggy on the outside from carry wear but often have been shot very little

Around here, the used gun market is on par with the new gun market. I can actually get a new G23 Gen 4 for cheaper than I can get a used one because of the Blue Label pricing.

I'm still debating between the Glock and the S&W. The Glock I can have as early as Monday, but I'd have to order the Smith. Now, I shouldn't use that as a deciding factor, but I want my stuff and I want it now!!! I am really used to the Glock and it fits my hand very well, and now even better with the Gen 4 backstraps, but I can get the Smith for roughly $100 cheaper?

Omega Man
01-24-13, 22:52
I recently switched from Glock's to M&P's and i am getting better results with the M&P's. Order one from Grant at G&R Tactical and you can add night sights, Apex parts etc. Made to order.

inosaris
01-25-13, 00:30
For $100 less I would go with the smith, plenty left over for an apex kit should you choose

DarrinD2
01-25-13, 07:22
Around here, the used gun market is on par with the new gun market. I can actually get a new G23 Gen 4 for cheaper than I can get a used one because of the Blue Label pricing.

I'm still debating between the Glock and the S&W. The Glock I can have as early as Monday, but I'd have to order the Smith. Now, I shouldn't use that as a deciding factor, but I want my stuff and I want it now!!! I am really used to the Glock and it fits my hand very well, and now even better with the Gen 4 backstraps, but I can get the Smith for roughly $100 cheaper?

It's a subjective thing, but the M&P fit my hands better than my Glocks, and was a factor in switching to M&P's, among other thing. The only thing I think the Glock has an edge in is the factory trigger, but that can be an easy fix on the M&P.

Omega Man
01-25-13, 19:46
One of my 2 M&P's is completely stock and it has a better trigger than a Glock. S&W has an upgraded trigger in many recent production M&P's. The improvements in mine over the original M&P's are much less pre travel, a smoother & lighter pull and a short pronounced reset. The trigger is quite good and needs no Apex parts as far as im concerned. I like it almost as much as my AEK equipped M&P.

CHouse34
01-26-13, 15:41
+1 for the M&P. Ergonomics suit me best. But then again I have bear hands

GH41
01-26-13, 15:47
Take a look at the XD or XDM Spingfield guns. If you can go to an indoor range that rents guns and try them all. The XD felt and shot better to me. Everyone is different. I bought mine from a guy that shot a Glock better. GH

Atlshaun
01-26-13, 18:26
Take a look at the XD or XDM Spingfield guns. If you can go to an indoor range that rents guns and try them all. The XD felt and shot better to me. Everyone is different. I bought mine from a guy that shot a Glock better. GH

Most would disagree with this suggestion.

GH41
01-26-13, 19:00

Could I ask why? Is there cool-aid involved?? GH

FAB45
01-26-13, 21:19
Glock 19.

morbidbattlecry
01-26-13, 21:51
Your pretty limited by what you can even find right now. Let alone something good.

Smirak
01-26-13, 21:53
Glock 19.

That or the 23 is what I'm looking for. I can find the 23, but not the 19...

TriviaMonster
01-26-13, 22:13
That or the 23 is what I'm looking for. I can find the 23, but not the 19...

Don't be afraid of the 23. Its not hard to shoot and with the Glock low bore axis it isn't a hand full or flippy. Plus there is ammo for it out there, at least in my neck of the woods. You lose 2 rounds to the 19, but 180gr at around 1000fps is a good, proven load that has done a lot of damage in the relatively short time its been around.

Its funny how we never traded a little bit of freedom of religion after the Jonestown Massacre.

larson1122
01-27-13, 01:29

Don't settle for your second choice over $100. Go with whichever works best for you. Since you have more experience with Glocks I would peobably go that route but both are fine choices.

boogergoo
01-27-13, 10:07
I think if I were in your shoes I would go Glock as well. I had a 19 and loved it. Wish I still had it.

Smirak
02-01-13, 14:31
Not trying to ressurect an old thread, but just wanted to let everyone know I went with the Gen 4 23 today. Got blue label pricing for $435 Pre tax...will post pics later cause we all know this post is useless without pics.

Kevin

uglyducky
02-02-13, 00:16
Thanks for all the suggestions so far...I've actually been looking at the s&w m&p line. $50 rebate for military isn't too shabby either...

Also looking at the sig p2022 and p250 as well as any number of blue label Glocks...

Kevin

I snagged a P226 .40 on GB for around $600 and have been very happy with it

TriviaMonster
02-02-13, 00:28
Not trying to ressurect an old thread, but just wanted to let everyone know I went with the Gen 4 23 today. Got blue label pricing for $435 Pre tax...will post pics later cause we all know this post is useless without pics.

Kevin

That's a fair price. I plan on picking up a Gen 4 G23 when the panic dies down a bit. I think you will really like it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Smirak
02-02-13, 17:29
That's a fair price. I plan on picking up a Gen 4 G23 when the panic dies down a bit. I think you will really like it.

Sent 50 rds down the pipe this afternoon. I know now that I didn't make a bad decision. I haven't really "shot" a pistol in over 15 years since I left PD while in college. It was like I never missed a beat. Shot 20 at 10yds and cloverleafed many of them. Moved it out to 15 and they opened up a bit. Out at 25 and they opened up even more. However, I really did enjoy shooting again...

I'm going to try and convince the wife into a 27...she has much smaller hands than I do. I really think she'd like one too...

Kevin

TriviaMonster
02-03-13, 16:04
Sent 50 rds down the pipe this afternoon. I know now that I didn't make a bad decision. I haven't really "shot" a pistol in over 15 years since I left PD while in college. It was like I never missed a beat. Shot 20 at 10yds and cloverleafed many of them. Moved it out to 15 and they opened up a bit. Out at 25 and they opened up even more. However, I really did enjoy shooting again...

I'm going to try and convince the wife into a 27...she has much smaller hands than I do. I really think she'd like one too...

Kevin

You don't buy a sub compact because someone has small hands. The 27 is no joke and can have problems with limp wristing. I would get her into a 19 and no smaller or maybe a M&P shield or 9c.

Smirak
02-03-13, 16:10
You don't buy a sub compact because someone has small hands. The 27 is no joke and can have problems with limp wristing. I would get her into a 19 and no smaller or maybe a M&P shield or 9c.

Thanks for that advice...I only mentioned the "small hands" thing because I don't have huge hands, but mine dwarfs the 27 sized frames. I'll let her shoot my 23 and see what she thinks before I do anything...tying to convince her that she NEEDS more than a shotgun...

TriviaMonster
02-03-13, 16:33
Oh c'mon nobody NEEDS anything more than a double barrel shotgun right? :rolleyes:

Your 23 would be a good start. See how she handles that and if she likes it get her one of her own. Give her a list of quality guns and let her pick what she likes. Rent some guns and go to town.

I love my 23 but it kicks a bit hard for my girlfriend. I'm thinking of trading up for something that shoots my 23 better :D
Only kidding.

wraw88
02-11-13, 04:56
Glock 23. Man handle that shit.

Any glock in 9, 40, 45 will do. Pick it up and learn it.

aguila327
02-11-13, 05:45
The Sig P250 is a terrible gun. Just Terrible. Get a GLOCK or M&P. Don't bother with the Sig 2022 either. Its better than the P250 but its no Glock or M&P. Plus neither can match the Glock or M&P for magazine availability (when this whole panic dies down) or holster or parts or anything.

ETA I have a Gen 3 G23 and its a great gun if you like .40.

AGREE.

aguila327
02-11-13, 05:54

What? That statement seemed straight up and in my exp. correct. You never know which will feel better for you and hence shoot better.

I've always loved the Glocks trigger but the feel of the M&P was more comforting In the hand. Never got to try an Xd (difficult to find in NY).

So skip your bias and be honest if giving advice or criticizing anothers.

DarrinD2
02-11-13, 18:20
What? That statement seemed straight up and in my exp. correct. You never know which will feel better for you and hence shoot better.

I've always loved the Glocks trigger but the feel of the M&P was more comforting In the hand. Never got to try an Xd (difficult to find in NY).

So skip your bias and be honest if giving advice or criticizing anothers.

I own both a Glock and M&P, and I prefer the Glock trigger, but the M&P in every other way. It is very subjective though, so get the one that fits your hand and shoots best for you.

coobie
02-11-13, 18:52
M&P or glock.:D

blueorison
02-12-13, 16:35
Glock.

Older Gen 3.