PDA

View Full Version : For A Mere $25.00 You Can Fix Your High School Education...

SteyrAUG
01-25-13, 02:08
The Century of Warfare (2010 Slimpack Edition) (http://www.amazon.com/Century-Warfare-2010-Slimpack-Edition/dp/B00496JIPY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1359100985&sr=8-7&keywords=a+century+of+warfare)

By far the most comprehensive, detailed and accurate documentary on 20th century conflicts. Only "The World at War" is more comprehensive, but that focuses on that sole conflict.

I watched this entire set with a critical eye for errors, omissions or distortions and found almost nothing to take issue with. Furthermore I learned a quite a bit more about subjects I thought I knew a lot about already.

If you've been watching the History Channel lately and found yourself screaming at your TV this collection from the days when facts were important will be refreshing.

Moose-Knuckle
01-25-13, 02:47
You mean to tell us that you don't learn nuff'n from watching them Pawn Stars and Swamp People. :sarcastic:

cqbdriver
01-25-13, 06:22
History Channel isn't all that bad. I wouldn't have known how much aliens have impacted our world history. I have also increased my understanding of paranormal activity.

I used their documentaries to good purpose. I have enhanced my telepathic powers. Last week, I stared at my dog & in my mind told him to go away. After about a minute of staring, he got up & left the room. I tried with the wife & it almost worked. She didn't leave, but she did get pissed off.

Spiffums
01-25-13, 06:54
I still haven't seen the Zombie one but once. :sarcastic:

High School history and most of what I remember from college didn't really hit on any past Korean War. I guess they figured we could get the rest from our parents and stuff.

Business_Casual
01-25-13, 06:55
I wouldn't have known how much aliens have impacted our world history.

I LOL'ed.

bc

RMiller
01-25-13, 07:00
It's the only channel I used to watch growing up. You probably wouldn't have known a 15yr old kid who knew more about WWII off the top of his head than a history teacher with a book to reference.

I'm not to fond of the reality tv that's poked it's head up. The ancient alien stuff... I find entertaining......thats about it, entertaining. They still have some decent stuff on from time to time though.

Looks like a good set to own.....good find.

cqbdriver
01-25-13, 07:20
In 2008, I turned my cable off. Partly because I was tired of getting mad watching the news, but also because the documentary channels were not having serious shows any more.

warpigM-4
01-25-13, 08:47
it has sicken me the way TV has become

Todd00000
01-25-13, 10:20
The Century of Warfare (2010 Slimpack Edition) (http://www.amazon.com/Century-Warfare-2010-Slimpack-Edition/dp/B00496JIPY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1359100985&sr=8-7&keywords=a+century+of+warfare)

By far the most comprehensive, detailed and accurate documentary on 20th century conflicts. Only "The World at War" is more comprehensive, but that focuses on that sole conflict.

I watched this entire set with a critical eye for errors, omissions or distortions and found almost nothing to take issue with. Furthermore I learned a quite a bit more about subjects I thought I knew a lot about already.

If you've been watching the History Channel lately and found yourself screaming at your TV this collection from the days when facts were important will be refreshing.

I think you would like this book, lots of data, and for a UK author he treats the Eisenhower and Montgomery conflict from a very fair and dispassionate point of view.

Why the Allies Won

"Overy has written a masterpiece of analytical history, posing and answering one of the great questions of the century."—Sunday Times (London)

Richard Overy's bold book begins by throwing out the stock answers to this great question: Germany doomed itself to defeat by fighting a two-front war; the Allies won by "sheer weight of material strength." In fact, by 1942 Germany controlled almost the entire resources of continental Europe and was poised to move into the Middle East. The Soviet Union had lost the heart of its industry, and the United States was not yet armed.

The Allied victory in 1945 was not inevitable. Overy shows us exactly how the Allies regained military superiority and why they were able to do it. He recounts the decisive campaigns: the war at sea, the crucial battles on the eastern front, the air war, and the vast amphibious assault on Europe. He then explores the deeper factors affecting military success and failure: industrial strength, fighting ability, the quality of leadership, and the moral dimensions of the war.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Allies-Won-Richard-Overy/dp/039331619X