PDA

View Full Version : Carry Handle / A2 Style Rear Sight Questions

No Bananas
01-25-13, 09:52
Of all the years I've been shooting and learning about ARs I haven't shot an A2 rear sight or carry handle much. I got a carry handle about 4 years ago, and sold it for preference to an optic before I even mounted it.

I just got a 6920 (put it on layaway two months ago and got it for a steal compared to current prices...sorry, had to brag) and I'm putting a carry handle on another AR. I decided to go Colt and ordered from a reputable dealer on this board (who I've ordered much from in the past). Although advertised as new, it's disappointing in appearance. Old dried grease, covered in scuff marks and dings all over, worn anodizing on the knobs. Looks like it was sitting on a garage shelf for years. It has the correct markings and such, and I don't doubt it's a Colt. Other than that, it looks nothing like the NEW carry handle on my 6920. I just got it last night and I'm thinking HARD on asking for a replacement. Never sent anything back for cosmetics before. I could have bought one on the boards in this condition for half of what I paid. :mad:

My greater concern is this, but I wonder if it is standard. When I was looking at the carry handle from above, I noticed that the rear sight base seemed a little of kilter, leaning left. When I grabbed it I could easily push it right to become flush. When I would let go, it would spring back to the left again. So, I went to my new 6920. The rear sight base was also leaning left, but not as much. It could be moved right but the spring tension was MUCH tighter, and it would instantly spring back left much faster.

Is this all normal? I'm assuming so, but like I said, I'm ignorant on these parts. Function is the main thing for me here. If this obviously older carry handle is gonna have sighting issues. It's definitely going back.

markm
01-25-13, 09:58
Everything sounds normal to me.

Was the handle advertised as new or GOOD condition?

I've bought beater mil take offs... but I knew they'd be a little ugly when I made the purchase.

Frens
01-25-13, 10:25
My greater concern is this, but I wonder if it is standard. When I was looking at the carry handle from above, I noticed that the rear sight base seemed a little of kilter, leaning left. When I grabbed it I could easily push it right to become flush. When I would let go, it would spring back to the left again. So, I went to my new 6920. The rear sight base was also leaning left, but not as much. It could be moved right but the spring tension was MUCH tighter, and it would instantly spring back left much faster.

normal,
this comes from the Armalite's FAQ page:

TECHNICAL NOTE 18: M16A2 REAR SIGHTS

1. The rear sight of M16A2 rifles is spring loaded in such a manner that it tends to rotate counterclockwise, as viewed from above. This biasing is caused by a ball and plunger in the left wall of the sight base, which presses against a surface of the receiver and forces the base to rotate. This is a means of taking up accumulated slack in the parts of the sight. The spring loading insures that the sight is always in the same position, even if cocked somewhat to the side. Keeping the sights consistently in the same position aids accuracy.

2. Depending on the buildup of tolerances, the cocking of the rear sight may be quite noticeable. While this may be somewhat unattractive, it is intentional, and is supportive of good accuracy. All M16A2 pattern sights display this cocking to some degree.

markm
01-25-13, 10:30
Yeah.. as far as the sight rotating... that's what it's supposed to do.

No Bananas
01-25-13, 10:53
IM'd you a link, Mark.

Thanks for the info, guys. It all sounds normal, and like any other part...good to have some spare parts and springs on hand.

BBossman
01-25-13, 12:34
Sounds normal to me. I have two 6920's purchased less than 6 months apart. The carry handles are two different colors, one has rough forging flash, one is ground smooth, one has more "wiggle" than the other, one has the attachment studs staked to prevent the "knobs" from coming off one doesn't...

None issue to me, they both fit and function as designed so I roll on with them.

The_Hammer_Man
01-25-13, 13:45
Ugly carry handles are the norm aren't they? At least I've never seen a "pretty" one that was a mil take off.

If it's that unsightly paint it :)

michael word
01-25-13, 14:23
The tilt wont mess with the sight in but may have an effect if you use the windage adjustments frequently at distances. With it being tilted the rear aperture does not move exactly perpendicular to the rifle and will produce less actual windage adjustment than designed to.

markm
01-25-13, 14:43
The tilt wont mess with the sight in but may have an effect if you use the windage adjustments frequently at distances. With it being tilted the rear aperture does not move exactly perpendicular to the rifle and will produce less actual windage adjustment than designed to.

This is pretty negligble... and anyone actually dialing wind on their irons probably should have a national match rear sight or something.

For field use I NEVER dial wind in my irons or Glass. I ****tard it up every time and get burned. :blink:

halfmoonclip
01-25-13, 15:21
Thought all this sounded pretty familiar, and sure enough, the carry handle on my 15-22 has a sight that is slightly cocked. No harm, no foul.
Something to think about; depending on how far you actually intend to engage targets with your irons, you may want to consider XS 'same plane' rear apertures and the striped front sight post. The same plane rear gives you the choice of a larger ghost ring for faster target acquisition, while the smaller one is more useful for greater precision. The striped front sight post is bunches easier to acquire against any kind of broken background. I'm using the XS sights on the .22 and a 9mm, but they would work fine on your 5.56 inside 100 yards.
There is an extensive drill for zeroing your current sights; check on it here before you begin.
Enjoy your irons; they're becoming a lost art, kinda like manual transmissions.
Moon

Quentin
01-25-13, 15:35
... I'm putting a carry handle on another AR. I decided to go Colt and ordered from a reputable dealer on this board (who I've ordered much from in the past). Although advertised as new, it's disappointing in appearance. Old dried grease, covered in scuff marks and dings all over, worn anodizing on the knobs. Looks like it was sitting on a garage shelf for years. It has the correct markings and such, and I don't doubt it's a Colt. Other than that, it looks nothing like the NEW carry handle on my 6920. I just got it last night and I'm thinking HARD on asking for a replacement. Never sent anything back for cosmetics before. I could have bought one on the boards in this condition for half of what I paid. :mad:

My greater concern is this, but I wonder if it is standard... Is this all normal? I'm assuming so, but like I said, I'm ignorant on these parts. Function is the main thing for me here. If this obviously older carry handle is gonna have sighting issues. It's definitely going back.

Like others have said military pulloffs and even "factory new" carry handles often are rough looking. I've bought quite a few pulloffs cheap on eBay and all were genuine milspec but definitely had some dings to the finish. All worked fine. I do think the Cardinal Forge versions are smoother and better finished over Cerro Forge and even Anchor Harvey but otherwise they're all the same.

The main thing to watch out for when buying a used carry handle is that it's truly milspec height (instead of the 0.04" shorter Bushmaster/DPMS/ArmaLite/RRA/Oly height) and that it's not a Chinese knockoff.

gan1hck
01-25-13, 15:49
normal,
this comes from the Armalite's FAQ page:

My Colt HBAR rear peep sight was like that....I always wondered if that was normal.

Didn't think much about it because it shot straight.