PDA

View Full Version : Which if any tritium front sight posts will work with Mbus Gen II?

Shao
01-25-13, 11:27
I've been searching about two hours now and can only find conjecture and no actual pictures or success stories...

I run trit front sight posts on all of my BUIS and FSBs and for the first time ever I'll be using a MBUS Gen II front sight in a build and I need to know if anyone has succesfully installed a tritium front sight post in one. If so, which brand was it and did it require modification? I'm still waiting for the sight in the mail so I can't just pop one off of another sight to check it out. I'm hoping the Mepro will work, as I like them best. Thanks in advance!!!

b225
01-25-13, 11:51
per Justin at Magpul on TOS:

Both the Gen 1 and current Gen 2 MBUS use a standard A2 front sight post that can be found on any M16/M4. The Gen 1's was held in place via friction while the Gen 2 uses a detent similar in concept to a factory sight.

Shao
01-25-13, 11:55
per Justin at Magpul on TOS:

Ahhh thank you sir... I had read contradicting stories... Much obliged... Another Mepro it is then...

The_Hammer_Man
01-25-13, 13:47
The contradictive stories were probably written by someone attempting to use a non-milspec front sight. Just make sure the thread pitch/length is the same and you'll be good.

ASH556
01-25-13, 14:12
Allow me to illuminate to you why tritium sights are a waste of money on civilian HD guns (the camera flash shows the sights, but they can't be seen with the naked eye):

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/20121025_230315.jpg

For a carry gun, maybe they're worthwhile for that 2% of the day between dark and light.

Generally though, if it's bright enough that you don't need a light, you can see your sights. If it's dark enough that you need a light, the tritium wouldn't show up anyway...all you can see is a silhouette of the sights.

I've tried a tritium front sight post on an AR before and found it to support what I've stated. How have you found it to work well for you or are you just spending money?

^Rb
01-25-13, 14:29
^^ This

The only marginal benefit I've experienced with a tritium front sight is shooting during dusk/dawn. And even then (for folks with better vision than myself; mine is not-so-great), negligible (being honest).

Wake27
01-25-13, 14:33
Allow me to illuminate to you why tritium sights are a waste of money on civilian HD guns (the camera flash shows the sights, but they can't be seen with the naked eye):

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/20121025_230315.jpg

For a carry gun, maybe they're worthwhile for that 2% of the day between dark and light.

Generally though, if it's bright enough that you don't need a light, you can see your sights. If it's dark enough that you need a light, the tritium wouldn't show up anyway...all you can see is a silhouette of the sights.

I've tried a tritium front sight post on an AR before and found it to support what I've stated. How have you found it to work well for you or are you just spending money?

^^ This

The only marginal benefit I've experienced with a tritium front sight is shooting during dusk/dawn. And even then (for folks with better vision than myself; mine is not-so-great), negligible (being honest).

I don't see the point on BUIS, but are you saying that the tritium doesn't show up when it's dark at night? Mine definitely do.

ASH556
01-25-13, 14:40
I don't see the point on an BUIS, but are you saying that the tritium doesn't show up when it's dark at night, because mine definitely does.

Not against a white light it won't. Try it.

Wake27
01-25-13, 15:18
Not against a white light it won't. Try it.

Oh fair enough, I misread. Isn't that kind of the point of night sights though, just in case you don't have a light?

^Rb
01-25-13, 15:54
I don't see the point on BUIS, but are you saying that the tritium doesn't show up when it's dark at night? Mine definitely do.

No, you need to re-read the thread.

Tritium sights wouldn't be tritium sights if you couldn't see them in the dark--the point "Wake27" and myself are trying to make is that, if you are in a position needing to fire your gun in the pitch-dark, you will [likely] be using a weapon-mounted light, and the pictures above clearly show (what we already know) that tritium makes no difference.

NoveskeFan
01-25-13, 16:03
Tritium works well in low light courses, at least for me. Also, at night my home is lit in a way that I wouldn't necessarily need to illuminate a threat for ID...unless the power was out.

The_Hammer_Man
01-25-13, 16:08
That's what is called an "I hope" survival strategy.

"I hope the electricity doesn't fail" is not a plan.

get a weapons light :)

NoveskeFan
01-25-13, 16:12
Should have clarified that all my AR's have surefires attached, my SBR also has the tritium.

That's what is called an "I hope" survival strategy.

"I hope the electricity doesn't fail" is not a plan.

get a weapons light :)

Shao
01-25-13, 16:28
I'm old school... have always had tritium sights on handguns... now on ARs... I have great night vision so I like having the option of aiming in near darkness if necessary without giving up my position by using a light. Lights and night sights both have their purpose. I find my tritium front posts very handy when shooting in low light and I imagine that in a combat situation, where you don't want to give your position away and lack NV capabilities, that it would be almost necessary. Trying to make out a black post in a dark environment is difficult. Tritium is good... For a minimal investment, it could mean the difference between life and death and they add no weight to your rifle unlike a weapon light (though I run both).

Wake27
01-25-13, 17:06
No, you need to re-read the thread.

Tritium sights wouldn't be tritium sights if you couldn't see them in the dark--the point "Wake27" and myself are trying to make is that, if you are in a position needing to fire your gun in the pitch-dark, you will [likely] be using a weapon-mounted light, and the pictures above clearly show (what we already know) that tritium makes no difference.

Likely? Maybe you will be using a WML. Doesn't mean everyone else has one on all of their weapons. I don't see the point on putting it on a carbine because its much more practical to put a light on an AR than many pistols. Agreed if you have a WML it'll negate the tritium in the sights if you use it, but you don't always have to use it.

Shao
01-25-13, 18:22
Likely? Maybe you will be using a WML. Doesn't mean everyone else has one on all of their weapons. I don't see the point on putting it on a carbine because its much more practical to put a light on an AR than many pistols. Agreed if you have a WML it'll negate the tritium in the sights if you use it, but you don't always have to use it.

Exactly...

glock_40_caliber
01-26-13, 07:22

My thoughts exactly.

TF82
01-26-13, 14:58
Having been required to shoot rifles and shotguns at night both with and without tritium sights, I definitely see them as a useful enhancement. I've always been trained to identify the target with the light and if possible go dark and move to fire on it. This is much more difficult to do with black sights. Tritium is also nice for low light if your light fails. On the other hand, my patrol rifle is equipped with a tritium rear which is a complete waste of money on an AR. When aiming the two rear tritium dots are completely invisible. I'm just glad it wasn't my money. Our newer patrol rifles use magpul rear sights and they cannot accept a tritium rear.

halfmoonclip
01-26-13, 15:47
It would seem the need to identify the target would outweigh most other considerations; I want to know what I'm dropping the hammer on, tho' I follow the notion of using the light in brief bursts.

What I have found useful are the XS 'skunk stripe' front sights, that in daylight or low light are much easier to pick up than a plain black sight, particularly in conjunction with their 'same plane' rear sights using the ghost ring.
Down at our camp, and at a local indoor range, there is the opportunity to experiment firing in full darkness.
Moon

Wake27
01-26-13, 18:23
It would seem the need to identify the target would outweigh most other considerations; I want to know what I'm dropping the hammer on, tho' I follow the notion of using the light in brief bursts.

What I have found useful are the XS 'skunk stripe' front sights, that in daylight or low light are much easier to pick up than a plain black sight, particularly in conjunction with their 'same plane' rear sights using the ghost ring.
Down at our camp, and at a local indoor range, there is the opportunity to experiment firing in full darkness.
Moon

There are situations where your target may be illuminated and you may not.

Shao
01-26-13, 18:35
There are situations where your target may be illuminated and you may not.

Good point...

halfmoonclip
01-26-13, 18:39
Really like a weapons light on a carbine; seems much easier to manage than on a handgun. I think what we need to bear in mind is the relatively short engagement distances involved, even using the carbine.
I understand why they have replaced the shotgun in many departmental vehicles; they enhance hit probabilities (especially under stress), and answer the question of 'bring enough gun?'.
Had a tritium front sight on a revo some years ago, and I experimented with it under various lighting conditions. Never felt it was a bit of help, and when it expired, it was not replaced.
Moon