PDA

View Full Version : A strange sensation......... (and a question or two...)

jmoore
01-27-13, 11:51
Observation - It feels very strange to be wearing a holster, and NOT having a weapon in it. (OK - around my house & yard, I do carry - but not out in public for soon-to-be obvious reasons)

OK - the reason......

While having been a shooter for 50+ years - my age, the political environment, and a few other voodoo factors may all be coming together to allow CCW for the first time in my life. (Yeh - I'm in IL. So it's still a LONG way off, even though legislation is SUPPOSED to be in place by June:)

In preparation, I have started wearing what will likely be my primary holster for everyday wear - a Crossbreed Super Tuck. Part of the reason is to get rid of the damned squeaking, and part is to start doing dry runs as to dressing and placement of all the other "junk" I've ended up carrying over the years. That would be, btw - cell on belt-holster now at 9-10 o'clock, Surefire 1-cell shoved horizontally through and clipped to a front belt loop at 11, wallet in left rear (switched there from right rear to put it on the opposite side as the G26), and Emerson Super Roadhoause in lateral portion of right front pocket. Also - I always wear jeans, and always wear Hawaiian-styles shirts so all is covered.

A few questions.....

I'm now looking for a method & location to carry a spare mag. I run g17s as well, so it doesn't have to be the specific g26 mags I have. Any suggestions as to a good carrier that would likely live at 8-9 o'clock?

Also - I'm hoping/assuming that the irritation of the leather on my skin will subside? I wear my outer shirt "out", and rarely wear a t-shirt. When I do, I'm currently planning on leaving the outer shirt open, and tucking the holster under the t-shirt - thus, there still won't be a layer of clothing between my fine, delicate skin & the horsehide. Comments? TIA - john

RCI1911
01-27-13, 12:06
I like wearing an under armor type shirt under my top shirt. I tuck this shirt in underneath my holster. I stay cool and no holster rash.

DWood
01-27-13, 12:24
I do the same. I picked up a dozen UA shirts from LA Police Gear when they OD on sale for $4 or $5 wach a while back. I also stopped carrying anything on my belt that is not a gun or support item. My phone always goes in a shirt or pant pocket now.

Wearing your holster as you are now makes sense for the reasons you mentioned.

The dress you describe will allow the phone to go in a shirt pocket. I usually wear pants with cargo pockets like Woolrich Tactical so the front left pocket is also an option for me. If you look at 5.11 Covert Carry shirts you will have a similar style to your current dress with more pockets.

After trying various IWB holsters that are all considered top tier, I have settled on OWB and my dress makes it easy to conceal the guns I have carried over the last several years (Glock 23, SW 3913, Glock 36, to name a few). IWB is a good choice , but I am more comfortable with an OWB set up.

Any of the top tier holster maker's mag holders will serve you well. I have used Raven Concealment and Blade Tech, and there are others. They are durable and secure but sometimes they are a little wide for me. I want to get a PSS mag holder from Steve, and will if I go back to belt carry. I am also going to buy a Glock holster from him if one of his will fit a 30S.

Right now, I usually pocket carry and use two Kytex gear mag holders for my single stack 9 mm mags. They are only slightly wider than the mags due to the unusual one piece design and take up very little belt room. I can carry two and a 1 CR 123 light in a Kydex holder also from Kytex Gear on the support side without any trouble.

Bulletdog
01-27-13, 12:25
I got nuthin' specific for ya. Only that you are soon going to have a cardboard box in the back of a closet somewhere full of "good" product that just didn't work for you, while you mutter and curse the best "compromise" you have found to date, and constantly search the horizon for that magical solution to all your CCW problems...

:D Welcome to the club brother.

BIGUGLY
01-27-13, 12:32
You can always try Kydex, I though it would be horrible IWB but the Raven holster I bought for a G22 works well. The only problem I have is with the glocks grip its a gen 4 and can rub the hell out of you after a long day. The gen 4 grips will also eat up a under armor shirt pretty quick. I just use cheap cotton shirts now.

Shorts
01-27-13, 12:35
jmoore, look for a product called "mole skin". You can apply it to the back of the holster to keep the hardware off your skin. See if it helps.

It does take time to get accustom to wearing an IWB holster all day. As you break it in it will conform. I don't wear undershirts either so leather is always against my skin (grain side). Kinda yukky in the summer but eh, that's Texas.

gunrunner505
01-27-13, 12:36
I would take that cell phone out of the holster dealie and shove it in your left front pocket and then use that space on your left hip for a mag pouch. You'll have to take the phone out to drive etc but its worth a thought.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

bobnieder
01-27-13, 15:57
I put moleskin on the back of my Comp-Tac Minotaur Neutral Cant hybrid kydex/leather holster. No chafe, no irritation at all. Very comfortable.

My Full size (4.25" barrel) M&P is easy to conceal, and my new Shield disappears completely.

Flamingo
01-27-13, 16:06
If you don't want to wear a regular tee shirt, consider wearing an "A" shirt, commonly called a "wife-beater".

I wear one under all of my shirts, even a tee shirt. It keeps the rubbing to a minimum.

MegademiC
01-27-13, 17:30
Mag pouches, I suggest ready tactical
http://www.skdtac.com/Ready-Tactical-Pistol-Mag-Pouch-p/rdt.103.htm

They are made to go owb so I bought opposite direction to go iwb.

You might want to pick up a blue gun to go in holster for now and help break it in. I also find straight kydex comfortable iwb, ymmv.

gunrunner505
01-27-13, 17:52
I think Crossbreed makes a matching tuckable mag carrier no?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2