PDA

View Full Version : HK 94 9mm's - reliability?

Robc1219
01-27-13, 15:33
Hi I am interested in an actual HK 94 9mm Semi auto carbine. NOT a clone. I am aware how pricey they are. Does anyone know if these are as reliable as HK's get? I know no firearm is 100%, but will they pretty much eat any ammo? do they require certain types to feed properly? Are the mags decently available?

I would like to hear from anyone that has experience or knowledge on this. Again, not about clones, not interested in one.

Many thanks,
Rob

warpigM-4
01-27-13, 15:38
the only problems i have ever heard of was using the straight mags with Hollow points But HK solved that problem by going with the Curve Mag .
I have shot a few and Never have heard of any major problems with the HK94 all weapons can have a malfunction from time to time But with proper cleaning you are GTG

Robc1219
01-27-13, 16:08
Many thanks for the reply!! Thats what I wanted to hear.

SteyrAUG
01-27-13, 16:28
I've got about 3 of them going on 10 years without a hiccup.

So long as you don't try and use aftermarket magazines you'll be fine.

You also have to be careful with people who try and install MP5 trigger frames on 94s. Not everyone can shelf one properly and that can cause problems.

Robc1219
01-27-13, 16:35
I've got about 3 of them going on 10 years without a hiccup.

So long as you don't try and use aftermarket magazines you'll be fine.

You also have to be careful with people who try and install MP5 trigger frames on 94s. Not everyone can shelf one properly and that can cause problems.

3 for 10 years! awesome! I never thought about that with the MP5 trigger, good to know. Thank you

sinister
01-27-13, 17:28
My MP5 has run well for over twenty five years.

The most annoying stoppages I have experienced using Winchester White Box ball, military ball, Federal Hydra Shoks, and Winchester Silver Tips have been empty cases getting under the bolt and carrier, jamming the weapon between the lower and rear end of the magazine

SteyrAUG
01-27-13, 18:17
3 for 10 years! awesome! I never thought about that with the MP5 trigger, good to know. Thank you

That's in addition to the four MP5s.

http://imageshack.us/a/img169/7814/p1003856xc4.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img360/3308/00000000044fa8.jpg

:D

SteyrAUG
01-27-13, 18:21
My MP5 has run well for over twenty five years.

The most annoying stoppages I have experienced using Winchester White Box ball, military ball, Federal Hydra Shoks, and Winchester Silver Tips have been empty cases getting under the bolt and carrier, jamming the weapon between the lower and rear end of the magazine

That is a common problem with many clones. Never seen it happen to a factory gun. Is yours a factory original SMG or 94 conversion? Swing down?

Robc1219
01-27-13, 18:22

http://imageshack.us/a/img169/7814/p1003856xc4.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img360/3308/00000000044fa8.jpg

Let me know if you need a new best friend to shoot with ha...Just awesome. My dream guns. Straight up Jealous!

Robc1219
01-27-13, 18:34

Would love to see pics of the 94's as well...

Turnkey11
01-27-13, 21:28
Sadly only been issued one, would love to own a HK94 (SBR'ed of course) someday. I would pick the real deal over any clone anyday.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/Guns/IMG_20121009_130915_959.jpg

gunnut284
01-27-13, 21:29
My MP5 has always been very reliable, even when quite dirty and using crap frangible ammo. Most of the time if there is a problem it is due to a magazine with a damaged feed lip from dropping on concrete.

JoshNC
01-27-13, 23:20
My mp5k-pdw is boringly reliable. It is an all German HK SP89 that had a new factory pdw barrel installed by HK (back when they did that sort of thing), paddle mag, remark and refinish done by Phil Flack and Gordon Miller, with a 28 locking piece and DLO trigger frame to give it the fun position on the selector lever. It has just over 3k through it (not much, I know), mostly suppressed, with the only stoppages I've had occurring when it was REALLY dirty and gunk had to be cleaned from under the extractor (can count these on one hand). I only use factory HK curved mags.

Mags are available, though prices have gone up. Frankly, these mags are built like tanks and as such I feel comfortable with fewer than with other systems. Expect to pay $60-$75 per mag right now. Pre-hysteria they could be found for $45-$55 per mag.

Accessories and parts are more expensive than the AR15 series. And the reputable HK smiths are also costly and often back logged with work.

If you have the cash and want one, I say go for it. Buy a factory 94 or SP89 and SBR it; you will be glad you did.

SteyrAUG
01-27-13, 23:29
Would love to see pics of the 94's as well...

These two are technically Turkish contracts (MKE)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/000000001751_zps10a13cd4.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/00000000426.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/00010HK.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/P1003057.jpg

warpigM-4
01-28-13, 00:01
I hate I found out about the MKE a little to late in the game i would have loved to pick one up

Magic_Salad0892
01-28-13, 04:32
My girlfriends MKE SBR MP5 (A2) clone has about 5k rounds on it, with no documented malfunctions.

Great gun.

Sling solutions suck though.

Hootiewho
01-28-13, 06:28
If you want one, there are more popping up for sale now than I have seen in a long time. I've wanted one for years & just picked up an II date code 94 that has never been fired. I didn't steal it by any means, but I have it. There are tons on gunbroker right now. I know it is a chunk to pay, but they is just something special about the MP5. There was 2 SP89s & a 94 with mags and accessorieson GB that would be a sweet package if you really wanted to get serious or had other buyers who would go in on it with you.

Robc1219
01-28-13, 07:59
If you want one, there are more popping up for sale now than I have seen in a long time. I've wanted one for years & just picked up an II date code 94 that has never been fired. I didn't steal it by any means, but I have it. There are tons on gunbroker right now. I know it is a chunk to pay, but they is just something special about the MP5. There was 2 SP89s & a 94 with mags and accessorieson GB that would be a sweet package if you really wanted to get serious or had other buyers who would go in on it with you.

Yea thats where I have been looking. There's a few nice looking like new looking ones. They are pricey but I think worth it. I think I saw that package you were talking about. 2 sp89's &a 94 for 19k. Would be great.

I'm glad I came on here to ask about em, sounds like some great feedback from folks.

Robc1219
01-28-13, 08:01
These two are technically Turkish contracts (MKE)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/000000001751_zps10a13cd4.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/00000000426.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/00010HK.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/P1003057.jpg

Hell of a collection!!! amazing....

KalashniKEV
01-28-13, 08:18
Hi I am interested in an actual HK 94 9mm Semi auto carbine. NOT a clone.

My girlfriends MKE SBR MP5 (A2) clone has about 5k rounds on it, with no documented malfunctions.

I would also urge the OP to consider the MKE, if he can find one.
(which, as we all know, is not a "Clone" but a licensed HK product)

Mine has been excellent through a few thousand rounds so far.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/IMG_1309.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/2012-07-28_16-21-45_347.jpg

Robc1219
01-28-13, 08:20
I would also urge the OP to consider the MKE, if he can find one.
(which, as we all know, is not a "Clone" but a licensed HK product)

Mine has been excellent through a few thousand rounds so far.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/IMG_1309.jpg

Yea, no problem with MKE's just not interested in those bobcats or whatever. Looking currently at some pre-ban HK's with the 4 digi SN#'s. 1-2 supposedly unfired ones. Nice pics BTW!!!!

SPQR476
01-28-13, 08:56
I've got a 94 and and 89 clone, waiting on stamps. Both are 100% now with everything from ball to HP, as long as it's not powder puff loads...normal ball is fine. My Coharie 94FS took a little work and a few German parts to get there, though. The 89 is from Dave Getz in PA, and it's been 100% since day one.

I need to grab a real one at some point. I've shot a passel of MP5s over the years, and of course, zero issues. I don't feel bad abusing the clones or throwing a pack in them. I fear that I'd baby a real HK too much to enjoy it.

Robc1219
01-28-13, 09:02
I've got a 94 and and 89 clone, waiting on stamps. Both are 100% now with everything from ball to HP, as long as it's not powder puff loads...normal ball is fine. My Coharie 94FS took a little work and a few German parts to get there, though. The 89 is from Dave Getz in PA, and it's been 100% since day one.

I need to grab a real one at some point. I've shot a passel of MP5s over the years, and of course, zero issues. I don't feel bad abusing the clones or throwing a pack in them. I fear that I'd baby a real HK too much to enjoy it.

I was worried about if I bought one would I let it become a safe queen, but I really want to use the hell outta one ha. If I'm paying 5k, I want to run it hard like my AK's and AR's. BTW, Magpul rocks...all my AR's run on pmags :-)

Joe R.
01-28-13, 12:02
I worked as an Adjunct Instructor for the HK International Training Division for 8 years. While the 94 only made rare appearances in classes (the MP5 being the most common platform), it performed with out issue.

The most common parts breakage you will run into on the MP5/94 are roller holders. The answer is to use the wire roller holders rather then the plates as they were much more resistant to breakage. Next in line would be extractor springs and extractors. These parts are normally available at one of the HK specialty shops on the web.

As previously mentioned the straight magazines will not feed hollow points. The curved mags will work fine with pretty much any ammo.

You will want a chamber brush and chamber face brush. Keeping the flutes clean in the chamber will greatly increase your reliability. You don't need to be OCD about it, but a good cleaning every 1000 rounds and decent lube will work.

While the popularity of the MP5 has wained, I still like the platform as it is very easy to shoot well and exceptionally durable.

chapperjoe
01-28-13, 12:07
I snagged one of the CA jail guns in 05 or 06, but sold it cause I couldn't stand the mag release and didn't want to wait for a paddle job.

MY friends HK91 is butter too, but can't stand the mag release.

Robc1219
01-28-13, 12:09
I worked as an Adjunct Instructor for the HK International Training Division for 8 years. While the 94 only made rare appearances in classes (the MP5 being the most common platform), it performed with out issue.

The most common parts breakage you will run into on the MP5/94 are roller holders. The answer is to use the wire roller holders rather then the plates as they were much more resistant to breakage. Next in line would be extractor springs and extractors. These parts are normally available at one of the HK specialty shops on the web.

As previously mentioned the straight magazines will not feed hollow points. The curved mags will work fine with pretty much any ammo.

You will want a chamber brush and chamber face brush. Keeping the flutes clean in the chamber will greatly increase your reliability. You don't need to be OCD about it, but a good cleaning every 1000 rounds and decent lube will work.

While the popularity of the MP5 has wained, I still like the platform as it is very easy to shoot well and exceptionally durable.

Great information / Feedback...Thanks Joe! I always wondered why the popularity had faded. I assumed AR's in pistol caliber and AR SBR's were becoming the trend. Not sure though...

SteyrAUG
01-28-13, 12:31
I snagged one of the CA jail guns in 05 or 06, but sold it cause I couldn't stand the mag release and didn't want to wait for a paddle job.

MY friends HK91 is butter too, but can't stand the mag release.

Never been a problem for me. I just use my left hand index finger to push the button when I grab the magazine.

You can also install a TacLatch pretty easy.

http://www.taclatch.com/

SPQR476
01-28-13, 12:33
Great information / Feedback...Thanks Joe! I always wondered why the popularity had faded. I assumed AR's in pistol caliber and AR SBR's were becoming the trend. Not sure though...

The move to rifle caliber platforms and the fact that there is a ton of sheet metal welding involved in making a roller locker probably didn't help.

warpigM-4
01-28-13, 13:42
I personally think SteyrAUG Needs a SME title i learn something all the time from you Not to mention you have one hell of a collection and knowledge On the HK94 platform as well as other weapon platforms

Aegis
01-28-13, 14:53
+1 on Joe R's comments on extractor springs.

Great weapon, reliable, just get some of the small parts like the rollers and the extractor springs.

Just like any weapons system it's good to keep these parts on hand.

Turnkey11
01-28-13, 15:00

I had to give up my Colt SMG for a MP5 last year, if it was an option it wouldve never happened.

Robc1219
01-28-13, 15:37
I had to give up my Colt SMG for a MP5 last year, if it was an option it wouldve never happened.

Just curious as I'm not a LE office, was that a bad decision? what were thoughts on the change?

Gadfly
01-28-13, 15:40
I had an MP5A3 as my issued long gun for about 4 years. Everybody I knew always wanted to shoot it. So in addition to all the normal training, it saw a lot of extra rounds.

It was filthy a lot of the time. (I know, should always clean it) But it ran and ran and ran. I cannot recall a single malfunction. I even had one of the roller locks come out of the bolt, I simply held it in place to reassemble the gun, and it still ran fine. According to the markings on the gun, it was a mid 80's manufacture, so It had some miles on it long before it was issued to me. When I requested a new bolt to address the lose roller lock, I was told I had to deadline the gun. It was replaced with an M4. I like the M4, but the MP5 was so short and handy, especially working out of a vehicle. If the 94 runs like the MP5, it should last a lifetime, and run fine...

We have slowly phased out all but perhaps 5 or 6 MP5s. At the max, we had about 30, and I cannot recall seeing any of the malfunction. (With the exception of shooters not seating the mag in the gun..)

Cant get the stupid photo to upload...

SteyrAUG
01-28-13, 16:24
Just curious as I'm not a LE office, was that a bad decision? what were thoughts on the change?

Depends.

The Colt SMG offers a significant training advantage if officers are already familiar with the AR-15 and how it functions. There are some ergonomic advantages (safety and charging handle are easier for most to manipulate than the MP5) and for anyone wearing body armor the 4 positions stock is superior (even when compared to the multi position F stock).

Colt parts are cheaper and generally more available. Things like barrel replacement are much, much easier. If Colt ever offers a SMG with a M4 top rail it will be a superior system for mounting optics.

The MP5 / HK94 have the advantage of a better magazine. They load and feed better and won't spill ammo when dropped on a hard surface. The iron sights are generally superior although this can be a very subjective thing. The three lug barrel is superior for mounting suppressors.

And probably the most significant advantage the roller delayed action is much smoother than the Colt blowback system.

However, as noted, as 5.56 systems become comparable in size and weight they are displacing most SMG systems in the same way that Micro SMGs such as the B&T TP9 are replacing handguns.

Turnkey11
01-28-13, 17:16

As SteyrAUG stated, for me it is a manual of arms issue more than anything. Having been active duty Army and a reservist since the 90s I can run a AR platform gun in my sleep. I dont like that the bolt doesnt lock back on the last round, or the position of the selector (too far to manipulate without changing my firing grip.) The sights are too low, I always had to tilt the gun to use the irons and the stock could use some extra locking positions in between fully collapsed and fully open. What I do like is that the gun does not move under recoil, it is very easy to shoot accurately fast. The Colt had more muzzle rise, but was also very easy to shoot fast accurately. The extra steps involved to do a magazine exchange with the MP5 is probably what I dislike about it the most, if they could be modified like the UMP to lock back on the last round I probably wouldnt have much of a problem with it at all.

SteyrAUG
01-28-13, 18:18
As SteyrAUG stated, for me it is a manual of arms issue more than anything. Having been active duty Army and a reservist since the 90s I can run a AR platform gun in my sleep. I dont like that the bolt doesnt lock back on the last round, or the position of the selector (too far to manipulate without changing my firing grip.) The sights are too low, I always had to tilt the gun to use the irons and the stock could use some extra locking positions in between fully collapsed and fully open. What I do like is that the gun does not move under recoil, it is very easy to shoot accurately fast. The Colt had more muzzle rise, but was also very easy to shoot fast accurately. The extra steps involved to do a magazine exchange with the MP5 is probably what I dislike about it the most, if they could be modified like the UMP to lock back on the last round I probably wouldnt have much of a problem with it at all.

The F stock actually has additional locking positions. Still kinda sucks and I'd take an A2 stock over it every day.

Doesn't sound like you are doing magazine changes as efficiently as you might be capable of doing them. I find paddle releases faster than push buttons.

The MP5/40 and MP5/10 both incorporated a bolt hold open. We need to remember the MP5 9mm is a 1960s design. The fact that it is still being used as all, let alone considered by many the premier SMG, is impressive.

As they are generally being phased out (and HK has been trying to discontinue the MP5 for almost 10 years now but nobody will let them) it just wasn't practical to develop an upgraded MP5 in 9mm as HK wanted everyone to just buy the new polymer guns.

Turnkey11
01-28-13, 19:48
The F stock actually has additional locking positions. Still kinda sucks and I'd take an A2 stock over it every day.

Doesn't sound like you are doing magazine changes as efficiently as you might be capable of doing them. I find paddle releases faster than push buttons.

The MP5/40 and MP5/10 both incorporated a bolt hold open. We need to remember the MP5 9mm is a 1960s design. The fact that it is still being used as all, let alone considered by many the premier SMG, is impressive.

As they are generally being phased out (and HK has been trying to discontinue the MP5 for almost 10 years now but nobody will let them) it just wasn't practical to develop an upgraded MP5 in 9mm as HK wanted everyone to just buy the new polymer guns.

What is required for certification is that you pull the trigger and observe the click and no bang, lock the bolt to the rear, release the magazine with the paddle, insert new magazine, slap the cocking handle and engage. Anything else is a no-go for us.

SteyrAUG
01-28-13, 21:17
What is required for certification is that you pull the trigger and observe the click and no bang, lock the bolt to the rear, release the magazine with the paddle, insert new magazine, slap the cocking handle and engage. Anything else is a no-go for us.

Official "protocols" aside I'll teach you a trick.

Instead of engaging the paddle magazine and waiting for it to fall free like an AR magazine learn to pull the magazine down and out of the well but with a stiff thumb that punches the paddle magazine before you can grip the magazine.

You can learn to release and throw empty magazines as fast as you can slap the cocking handle to chamber a round. You can then learn to modify this same method along the same path that reaches for the replacement magazine.

So basically (assuming you a trained to run the weapon dry) you palm the cocking handle to the rear locked position. Sweep down yanking the magazine free with a stiff thumb on the paddle (dropping it as soon as it's free) and then continuing the same motion to your magazine carrier. Insert the fresh magazine and slap the cocking handle into battery as usual.

It's essentially the same thing but a more efficient way to do it that most people don't develop without somebody showing it to them. And thankfully it's a lot easier to do than it is to describe in print.

Turnkey11
01-29-13, 11:24
I'll give it a try, thanks for the tip.

FMJ556
01-29-13, 16:53
Awesome ! Very nice collection !

El Pistolero
01-29-13, 22:35
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/2012-07-28_16-21-45_347.jpg

I think the MP5 and a SIG P226 are an unbeatable 9mm combo. Both are proven and have the same attributes of craftsmanship, reliability, and accuracy.

SteyrAUG
01-30-13, 00:07
I'll give it a try, thanks for the tip.

Just a couple things.

1. It's harder with gloves,

2. Watch the sling keeper on the magazine well. If you start doing the MP5 kung fu too fast you can open up a knuckle on that piece of spring steel.

But once you get it down it's pretty easy. I've seen guys pop mags so fast this way you'd think they were spring loaded in the well.