PDA

View Full Version : My first

foreverpsycotic
01-28-13, 07:10
Well, your first is always a memorable experience. Here is mine:

http://i45.tinypic.com/sncivb.jpg
Unfortunately I live in CT, so the stock is pinned.

Build list:
PSA Lower Receiver
PSA Lower build kit
KZ single mount sling plate.
Aero Upper Receiver
ARFCOM store 14.5" M4 barrel
YHM low profile gas block
YHM lightweight quad rail (specter length)
Troy Medieval Brake (pinned, welded and the weld touched up with moly resin after)
YHM BCG
Regular ass charging handle, no tac latch.
MBUS sights F+R
Sig reflex sight (borrowing from friend until I can pick up a good red dot)
Magpul AFG2

I still need to pick up a quality red dot (I am between the SPARC, PRO and 512) and a light (leaning towards the Inforce WML).

RMiller
01-28-13, 08:03
My recommendations are an aimpoint pro and a vcas sling.

foreverpsycotic
01-28-13, 13:03
Did a bit more thinking, I have a bit more experience with the Eotech as I have used my friends XPS2 a fair amount. Looks like the 512 from GG&G is going to be it.

Atg336
01-31-13, 09:33
In reference to the red dot, go with what you know.

I've seen 512s dropped from chest height then needing to be re-zeroed because they were way off the mark, while I've dropped and accidentally kicked my Aimpoint :eek: a couple of times and it held its zero perfectly.

However, some have commented that Eotech's allow them to engage targets faster or that at least they shoot better, in whatever way, with them.

What will you be using this rifle for? Range? Home Defense? Fun?
Down the road, look into how well the YHM rail suits your needs. I'd also recommend a DD, Noveske, BCM, Or Colt barrel.

Congrats on your first rifle!

foreverpsycotic
02-03-13, 02:31
In reference to the red dot, go with what you know.

I've seen 512s dropped from chest height then needing to be re-zeroed because they were way off the mark, while I've dropped and accidentally kicked my Aimpoint :eek: a couple of times and it held its zero perfectly.

However, some have commented that Eotech's allow them to engage targets faster or that at least they shoot better, in whatever way, with them.

What will you be using this rifle for? Range? Home Defense? Fun?
Down the road, look into how well the YHM rail suits your needs. I'd also recommend a DD, Noveske, BCM, Or Colt barrel.

Congrats on your first rifle!

A little of everything, range use will be the most often use, I am not a professional. It does serve as HD along with a 500. The YHM is there to stay unless I get a different YHM FF tube, the muzzle brake will NEVER come off (pinned, welded and grinded flat with moly resin over the weld). As for the other barrel, this one shoots fine. I am not trying to (nor can I in this state) shoot 1" groups at 300 yards. Ranges are mostly limited to 100 yards (with 1 at 200 yards, member only and 2 hours away), and this will ring steel if I do my part. Again, this wasn't built as a duty weapon or a competition gun. Range fun and HD are its intended uses.

As for the eotech v. aimpoint thing, I managed to try out an aimpoint and the cheapo sig on there now and my astigmatism ****s with me. The dot looks like a few dots on top of each-other, super distracting. The eotech (because of the super tiny dot) doesn't have the same effect, limiting me to either an eotech, irons or scope.

I took it to the range last week (indoor FTL) and zeroed it in for a 100 yard zero using a ballistic chart. Incredibly soft shooting and man is this thing light. I would guess it to be 6lb +/- .5lb. It will only get heavier from here on out, polytac and mount are on the way from GG&G and am saving a bit more for an eotech.

foreverpsycotic
02-17-13, 22:28
Some new pics of the AR now that I have the light. Weight with the sling and light is 6.8 lbs, will go up a little more (5oz) when I get the Sparc.

http://i46.tinypic.com/bgvjnr.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/152c3ll.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/30dkxlk.jpg

It is pushed all the way out on the mount so I can comfortably hit it with my thumb. For it to me mounted by the head, I would need a 13" rail to be comfortable.

Sparc should be on the way soon as well. Hope the dot doesnt mess with my eyes, the small tube should help (I can see dots fine looking through the rear sight).

fletchman
02-18-13, 16:02
Very nice black rifle, I was going to sugest the strikeforce by vortex but looks like you made up you mind. I would like to drop 5 bills on a red dot but that wasn't and probably won't be an option for a while, enjoy and good luck

CobraBG
02-18-13, 16:16
If you are planning to get an EOTech consider the XPS or EXPS instead of the 512. They are newer and have a battery located perpendicular to the bore. Some have experienced battery contact failure with the 512 and others of that design with the batteries inline with the bore.

foreverpsycotic
02-18-13, 16:30
I ordered a Vortex Sparc and it will be here eventually. I want to try out the micro red dots, just don't have te ability to drop cash on a t1 and mount. 4moa dots don't work, 2moa is pushing it with the flare I can stand.

Allison01
02-19-13, 12:49
Looks great.

uglyducky
02-24-13, 01:07
My recommendations are an aimpoint pro and a vcas sling.

+1 love the aimpoints

Shao
02-24-13, 07:24
I would lose the Streamlight Polytac... If that's a GS G-mount, I would replace it with a Surefire G2 body, Z59/Z49 tailcap, and an LED head/bezel and drop-in (Malkoff).

Split66
02-24-13, 09:21
Get the aimpoint. The Sparc is decent, but the controls are wonky in my opinion. Vs. an aimpoint, the glass is really "green" in color vs clear. It just doesnt compare..... Even a lightly used PRO would be a better investment of the $300 or so. They pop up in the EE sometimes, keep your eyes open and haggle a deal.....

Good luck with your rifle.

Allison01
02-27-13, 12:58
Get the aimpoint. The Sparc is decent, but the controls are wonky in my opinion. Vs. an aimpoint, the glass is really "green" in color vs clear. It just doesnt compare..... Even a lightly used PRO would be a better investment of the $300 or so. They pop up in the EE sometimes, keep your eyes open and haggle a deal.....

Good luck with your rifle.

I'm saving for one.