PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think this whole 45Colt/410 revolver is a really bad idea?

brickboy240
01-28-13, 11:30
My father has a few friends that recently bought those Taurus Judges...thinking this was the ultimate in short range home defense.

I am sorry..I am no professional but I really....REALLY think these 45Colt/410 revolvers are a very bad idea.

First, there is the whole QC issue with anything from Taurus. We don't need to go into detail on that...do we?

Second, have you ever held one of these things? They just feel really odd in the hand. Not like a 4" Smith K-frame....just odd. Way too heavy and the triggers are terrible.

Third, I have shot rabbits and squirrels with 410s and not killed them with the first shot. That was while using 3" #4s and being fairly close. Ever patterned any 410 shell? Even at short ranges they pattern terribly and the 410 is only good for snakes at maybe 10yds max and that is it.

Fourth, the 45 Colt is about the same power class as the 45ACP. however, 45 Colt ammo is much more expensive and the range of SD rounds is much better in 45ACP than 45 Colt. Also, 45ACP is always easier to find than 45 Colt ammo. As far as SD goes...there is no huge advantage of the 45 Colt in a six gun over the 45ACP in a 1911, HK or Glock. Zero.

Fifth, many have bought in to the idea that you should mix the 410 shells and 45 Colts in their Judge revolvers. How bad of an idea is this? You have 2 rounds that vary in point of impact and recoil feel...being shot in succession in your SD pistol. Again...I am no professional but do NOT see ANY advantage to this at all.

So am I alone in thinking that the 45 Colt/410 revolver is just a terrible idea? Maybe loaded with 3" #4 shot in the tackle box for blasting snakes...ok...but NOT as a SD or HD firearm.

Comments?

-brickboy240

Littlelebowski
01-28-13, 11:37
Does anyone here not think this whole idea is moronic?

brickboy240
01-28-13, 11:40
Well...I wouldn't think anyone here would like this thing.

However I am amazed at the numbers of people (...that should know better) that think the Judge is a great idea.

This just disturbs me greatly.

-brickboy240

NWPilgrim
01-28-13, 11:54
Agree that there are better options for smaller size, etc. The .410 is a borderline shotshell out of a shotgun let alone a semi-rifled handgun. And the .45 Colt is capable but can be had in a smaller frame.

It must have struck some sort of chord with folks though because the concept is selling so well S&W came out with their Governor. With the PDX shotshells buck and ball approach and .45 Colt ammo it is certainly better now than when first introduced. Winchester is making a valiant effort to make a purse out of that sow's ear.

I think a .357 or .44 Special 4" revolver would be more capable and practical. You can still load with snake shot, and yet have a more compact and as capable revolver with cartridge loads.

I don't get it but I have seen people buying their first gun who would not buy a .38 revolver jump at the chance to get the handgun or even longarm version of these things. If it was a fun gun within a larger collection then sure, why not. But for a first time gun owner it is a mistake. The glowing gun reviews do not help.

TXBob
01-28-13, 11:54
I thought it was cool. But then I was 10. My Grandpa said it was a stupid gun and sold it. 20 years before I was born (he was describing to me). Dunno if it was the full 45/.410, but it was a .410 revolver. M1917 Colt (Self-Defense) or a .22 with birdshot (local K-9s/birds that needed encouragement to go elsewhere) seemed to work just fine.

HES
01-28-13, 12:12
The marketing reps at Taurus?

Littlelebowski
01-28-13, 12:13

It did make them a lot of money.

01-28-13, 12:16
My stepfather, Marine with combat tours, bought one and won't shut up about it. I just nod.

brickboy240
01-28-13, 12:26
That is what I am getting at!

I know a few Nam vet friends of my dad...that SHOULD know better...that bought these things and go on and on about how cool it is that they can mix 410 and 45Colt in the cylinder for HD.

Like Obama...how do they get such a bad idea to appeal to groups of people that should know better?

-brickboy240

ryr8828
01-28-13, 12:35
Everybody raves about them like they're nukes for the hands or something.
When I was in my early 30's and only had revolvers I used to have the first one up a shotshell in my .38 or .357. When I was out on the farm I figured it would give me a good chance at a snake if I came across one that was a threat. I left it in there when out and about justifying to myself if I really needed to defend myself maybe it would be enough and I wouldn't have to kill someone, and if that didn't work I had the hollow points behind it.

I've since gotten older and changed my point of view.

Spiffums
01-28-13, 13:37
Not the best platform but I wouldn't want to shot at with a 5 shot 45 Colt.

Todd00000
01-28-13, 14:29
I always thought it would be a good snake gun on the farm or when hunting, but not for HD.

01-28-13, 14:44
I always thought it would be a good snake gun on the farm

I've never understood this line of reasoning(not trying to be a dick at all BTW). Grew up with farming on both sides of the family and everyone always left snakes alone as long as they weren't messing with chickens; which rarely happened. Snakes are great at eating mice/rats that shit on hay for cattle. Snakes woud also get in the rafters and bother any birds that might try and roost; which lead to shit on hay. Same mice/rats also got into feed which snakes helped prevent. We always liked snakes; esp. King snakes. The Kings kept any Rattlers or Copperheads in fear and drove them away.

Todd00000
01-28-13, 14:51
I've never understood this line of reasoning(not trying to be a dick at all BTW). Grew up with farming on both sides of the family and everyone always left snakes alone as long as they weren't messing with chickens; which rarely happened. Snakes are great at eating mice/rats that shit on hay for cattle. Snakes woud also get in the rafters and bother any birds that might try and roost; which lead to shit on hay. Same mice/rats also got into feed which snakes helped prevent. We always liked snakes; esp. King snakes. The Kings kept any Rattlers or Copperheads in fear and drove them away.

I only kill poisonous snakes on my property, and would relocate King snakes for my Mom’s sake if the Lab didn’t get to them first.

TAZ
01-28-13, 14:52
I always thought it would be a good snake gun on the farm or when hunting, but not for HD.

1+ to this. Seems like it could be good on the trail to keep snakes at bay if you need to. 45 colt can be pretty decent, but I wouldn't want to shoot any hot loads out of that thing.

brickboy240
01-28-13, 15:48
We only kill poisonous snakes here as well.

Mostly cottonmouths. They are nasty and aggressive snakes.

Leave the others alone because they rid the barn of mice.

I never understood just blazing away at all snakes.

-brickboy240

hatt
01-28-13, 17:42
And S&W. But it shoots .45 ACP too. No idea why Smith doesn't offer a nice, sensibly priced revolver that does the .45 ACP and Colt but leaves out the retarded shit.

one
01-28-13, 18:13
It did make them a lot of money.

Probably a lot more than we'd like to imagine. One of my LGS's sold those things right and left. I mean an unbelievable amount of them went out the door.

I know the guy personally and he told me on more than one occassion that he could barely keep them in stock with local purchasers.

Then when they started arriving with SERPA holsters for them, LOOKOUT! The CCW crowd really went nuts on them then.

Magic_Salad0892
01-28-13, 18:40

I think we should support a movement to ban any member who likes the Judge.

MAUSER202
01-28-13, 18:47
Have you ever held a Judge/Governor? It's like aiming a frying pan. I cant imagine carrying one concealed if you are the least bit active or not
wearing a trench coat with a saddle strap for a belt.

LSG sells a shit load of them I just don't get it.

gun71530
01-28-13, 18:51
I think it's one of the dumbest things produced in a long time.

jaxman7
01-28-13, 18:53
The Judge has great press. The whole exploding head/watermelon advertisement.

Regular Bubba must be really impressed.

Might make an excellent snake gun with .410.

No other applications whatsoever.

-Jax

yellowfin
01-29-13, 21:44
I know a pretty good looking girl (yes she's single, and I wasn't at the time, otherwise I'd have been on it like salt on french fries) who routinely carries a Taurus .45 Colt snubbie that isn't a Judge and it's a fairly decent carry gun. Pretty smart choice and VERY effective. .45 Colt as a carry gun is a concept worth considering and it's a shame the Judge really ruins it for too many people.

TXBob
01-30-13, 09:33
A judge/governor is NOT the same as a .45 LC (or .45 ACP) snub revolver (which I wish they actually would make more of). "Real" Snubbies 44 spec/45 ACP/45 LC are a nice BUG. 45ACP would be a nice double with semi-autos.

J-Dub
01-30-13, 10:23
All the old codgers love them.

Hey if they want to buy a piece of shit, let them.

SteveS
01-30-13, 10:31
Does anyone here not think this whole idea is moronic?It is an interesting idea . I would say kinda moronic though I never have had the urge to buy one.

PdxMotoxer
01-30-13, 12:26
I thought the different caliber's, sizes, lengths were merely
TOOLS to add to your "tool box" with each one having and meeting
special needs.
I'll never understand WHY so many get butt-hurt because a company
makes a tool that they them selves have zero use for.

Snap-On and MAC make specific tools like aviation tools, and specialty
tools and i dont see anyone getting butt-hurt over that or suggesting
and "ban" on someone who chooses to spend the outragous price
on that specialty tool.

You don't have ANY use for it??
don't spend your hard earned money on one.

But those saying others should NOT even be able to buy a judge or defender just seems to me like the cry babies saying there is NO use
for ANY mag over TEN rounds.

"They" are hunters and only NEED 1, 2, or 3 shots so why should you??

Well many live in poisonous snake country and NOT found of shooting those CCI b.b.'s out of their daily carry weapon.
while riding dirtbikes in the desert and ony wanting to buy ONE pistol
then every spring fly up to Alaska and salmon fish across from grizzlies that most of you would poop your pants even hearing thier deep breath's.
admittedly a S&W 500 would be a better choice BUT i'd
rather have a 45 long colt than my 9mm!!! lol

Besides with as many Judges and Defenders that have been sold
the manufactures of .410 shells have really stepped up their game
and that load has come a long way from where it once was 10 years ago.

I HAD a judge and loved it!!
but after my crash that ended my motocross career it just sat
being a safe queen so i sold it to a good friend in Northern Valley Springs Cali who has TONS on snake troubles and 4 grand babies
who like to play outside.

I'll NEVER get why soooo many get just butt-hurt that a company
(with a questionable at best service department) makes a pistol/weapon they don't "need".
Has there EVER been another pistol that caused this much :cray:
crying before?

**Hahahaha way WAY over caffeinated reply!! didnt realize i wrote so much till AFTER it posted. This starbucks VIA is the right tool for lack of sleep!! :blink: Don't think i've blinked in 5 mins :blink: **

Littlelebowski
01-30-13, 12:30
PdxMotoxer, I can name a forum member on here that does nothing but fly himself around Alaska to hunt. He packs a Glock 20 most of the time and never packs a .410 of any sort. He also seeks out professional instruction on shooting which most likely has a lot to with his choice not to use the .410 revolvers.

Please make your future posts somewhat readable. Also, you're not the only one who has lived in poisonous snake country.

TXBob
01-30-13, 12:32
Whoa there fella!

No one is suggesting a ban. Just that they are a very poor choice, poor execution, and the subject of a GREAT DEAL of misinformation.

To take your analogy--the Judge is a poorly executed combo-tool.

Most of us would rather have the 2 separate tools. That is all.

Take 2 shots of whiskey and two deep breaths.
-
Also as to any other gun the subject of this much crying?

I give you: the 1911 :p

PdxMotoxer
01-30-13, 12:54
I live just out of PDX (Portland Oregon) so i do not have much contact with any snakes other than small gardeners snakes.
When i would race the deserts of eastern Oregon is when there was
any worry of rattle snakes. (flat tires and broken chains happen).

Just saying I had a use for it and don't understand WHY so many feel
that gun should NOT even be made just because they have no use for it.

Other reason i owned one? I could :p
I've owned and own a lot of things I don't "need" and enjoyed them
thank you.

Sorry I'll type slower for you. :D :smile:

KrampusArms
01-30-13, 16:03
I have a friend who is HEAVILY into zombies, video games, etc. Him & his dad think its a devastating "Zombie" weapon.

This is a novelty gun. The problem is, the target audience, people who buy these things, typically don't view them as a novelty.

The kind of folks who just buy guns based on aesthetics, & fall for the marketing. The folks who buy guns, shoot them twice a year, & go back to eating chicken fingers & playing call of duty. They don't give much thought or really care about ballistics.

What does matter is their influence from holywood, & emulating big screen action. It strokes their fantasies formulated in their basement. As they load those AWESOME shotgun shells, into their shitty revolvers, with trembling sausage fingers..........

Suwannee Tim
01-30-13, 17:26
And S&W. But it shoots .45 ACP too. No idea why Smith doesn't offer a nice, sensibly priced revolver that does the .45 ACP and Colt but leaves out the retarded shit.

Because there are so many retarded people out there clamoring to buy one of these things.

I thought the different caliber's, sizes, lengths were merely
TOOLS to add to your "tool box" with each one having and meeting
special needs.
I'll never understand WHY so many get butt-hurt because a company
makes a tool that they them selves have zero use for.........

First off, we are not butt hurt. You might be but we are not. No one is saying that these guns should't be made. We are saying people shouldn't be retarded. These things are tools with no real use. I learned this 35 or 40 years ago when I bought a Thompson Center Contender in 44 magnum which included a screw on choke tube which stopped a rather hefty shot load from spinning and making a donut pattern. I quickly learned, two or three shots quickly, that the thing was useless without the choke. The Judge is the same thing as the chokeless TC Contender 44 mag. Useless and retarded. I can very well see how a noob could get sucked in but it's hard to see how someone would stay sucked in.

Suwannee Tim
01-30-13, 17:43
Ain't No Body Got Time For That (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB3ffk9FGIY)

Suwannee Tim
01-30-13, 17:55
......The folks who buy guns, shoot them twice a year, & go back to eating chicken fingers & playing call of duty...........

Really? I mean really? Chickens don't have fingers.