PDA

View Full Version : Any news from Daniel Defense from SHOT show?

JackyYeung
01-28-13, 12:22
Things seem quiet. Any new announcements? Everything ok? Thanks for any info you have!

Jim D
01-28-13, 20:13
Yeah, they've told all of their dealers to go screw themselves and start buying through distributors now. Ya know, now that they've helped them build their brand, they don't need them anymore, basically.

מגן ולא יראה
01-28-13, 20:20
Yeah, they've told all of their dealers to go screw themselves and start buying through distributors now. Ya know, now that they've helped them build their brand, they don't need them anymore, basically.

Wish I could be surprised but with experience I have with quality of that company am far from surprised.

Kenneth
01-28-13, 20:24
So whats that about? I was stuck on getting a DD rifle because they are praised so highly. They also have the rep of being a company that was built on a solid foundation?

Jim D
01-28-13, 20:33
So whats that about? I was stuck on getting a DD rifle because they are praised so highly. They also have the rep of being a company that was built on a solid foundation?

They make a gun the right way, with mil grade components. They're not the only ones that do it though, and since prices have dropped on Colt's and BCM is putting out a hell of a rifle, I'd just as soon buy from them now.

There is nothing special about the insides of a DD that set them apart from Colt or BCM. I'd buy what has the features you like, at a price you can afford. DD makes a quality gun, but if you want something that uses a different rail, you're better off starting with a BCM or Colt and upgrading it how you want it.

Anyway, on topic, they introduced some muzzle devices and accessories and a few new .300 blackout configurations.

Iraqgunz
01-28-13, 21:04
Really? And where did you get that from? Did you actually met with and talk to anyone from DD or are you just blowing smoke?

Jim D
01-28-13, 21:15
Really? And where did you get that from? Did you actually met with and talk to anyone from DD or are you just blowing smoke?

Our previous sales contact there. All of their sales are going through distributors now, with no provisions to even drop ship rifles to police departments.

Redbeardsong
01-29-13, 06:45

You mean like Bravo Company, Ruger, Springfield, etc. do? You can't sign up to be a dealer with then. You have to buy those through distributors.

I have not heard they were cutting dealers, and I met with DD at Shot. I doubt it would have been presented as "screw yourself". Marty Daniel and Daniel Defense have been very good people to deal with, and make an outstanding product. Their success is a result of that, and as a result, more people want their product and it is therefore harder to get, especially in the current craze.

There does come a point when a company grows, where they can't effectively serve every dealer who wants their product and so must narrow it down to fewer distributors/master dealers who then can sell to other dealers.
I know one distributor placed an order for basically everything DD could produce in 2013. Add in the 20-30 other distributors/master dealers DD has, and you can see how it might be impossible for DD to fill those orders, let alone all the other smaller dealer orders. So even if you are a direct dealer, you might be able to get product sooner by buying it from another distributor who had a bigger order in earlier. It doesn't mean they're screwing the small dealer. Keep in mind, however much a small dealer may have "built their name up", the larger dealers/distributors did as much or more so. The reason they are distributors is because they have bought more Daniel Defense for more years than other dealers do. Why would they not get priority?

Redbeardsong
01-29-13, 06:52
Back to the thread topic, Daniel Defense has a new Integrally Suppressed Rifle in 300BLK, a 300BLK 10.3" SBR, and a M4V7 300 BLK. I had the opportunity to shoot the SBR (suppressed and unsuppressed) and the ISR and both were really cool. The SBR is basically a 300BLK Mk18, with the smaller DDM4 rail instead of the RIS II rail. I like it a lot!

Here is the Integrally Suppressed Rifle:

BTL BRN
01-29-13, 10:45
They will also be releasing their own branded ammunition, loaded in Lake City brass.

Jim D
01-29-13, 12:29
You mean like Bravo Company, Ruger, Springfield, etc. do? You can't sign up to be a dealer with then. You have to buy those through distributors.
{this is the last I'll say on this, as it's getting off topic}

This is why Ruger has virtually no PD business, and neither does BCM. Springfield we ARE direct with, as is another LGS I used to work for.

I have not heard they were cutting dealers, and I met with DD at Shot. I doubt it would have been presented as "screw yourself". Marty Daniel and Daniel Defense have been very good people to deal with, and make an outstanding product. Their success is a result of that, and as a result, more people want their product and it is therefore harder to get, especially in the current craze.

There does come a point when a company grows, where they can't effectively serve every dealer who wants their product and so must narrow it down to fewer distributors/master dealers who then can sell to other dealers.
I know one distributor placed an order for basically everything DD could produce in 2013. Add in the 20-30 other distributors/master dealers DD has, and you can see how it might be impossible for DD to fill those orders, let alone all the other smaller dealer orders. So even if you are a direct dealer, you might be able to get product sooner by buying it from another distributor who had a bigger order in earlier. It doesn't mean they're screwing the small dealer. Keep in mind, however much a small dealer may have "built their name up", the larger dealers/distributors did as much or more so. The reason they are distributors is because they have bought more Daniel Defense for more years than other dealers do. Why would they not get priority?
There is a difference between "hey, we got slammed with order and we don't expect to be able to ship any new orders before the end of 2013" and "sorry, you have to place all orders through a distributor now."

There was no mention of them going back to taking dealer sales should the bubble burst, and a LE dept doesn't pay excise tax. There is no way to get a PD pricing through a distributor because virtually none of them will go through that process. So after I talked a number of agencies into DD rifles for their 2013 budgets, I've got to go back to them and tell them that the manufacturer isn't interested in taking their orders now.

Buying from a distributor might not be the end of the world for most over the counter sales, but it is the nail in the coffin for agency sales. If you'd like to know why most PD's carry Bushmasters, S&W's and the like... this is why.

Psybain
01-29-13, 13:44
Back to the thread topic, Daniel Defense has a new Integrally Suppressed Rifle in 300BLK, a 300BLK 10.3" SBR, and a M4V7 300 BLK. I had the opportunity to shoot the SBR (suppressed and unsuppressed) and the ISR and both were really cool. The SBR is basically a 300BLK Mk18, with the smaller DDM4 rail instead of the RIS II rail. I like it a lot!

How effective is their homemade suppressor compared to ones from AAC or surefire?

mtdawg169
01-29-13, 15:29
How effective is their homemade suppressor compared to ones from AAC or surefire?

Reports from range day seemed favorable.

Dmaynor
01-29-13, 15:51

Wasn't AAC and Surefire products homemade at some point?

Redbeardsong
01-30-13, 06:31

I only got to shoot 5-10 rounds through each, on a noisy range with double ear protection, so it's not the best test, but I noticed no difference between the ISR and the SBR 300BLK with a 762SDN6. Both are 10.3" barrels.

Iraqgunz
01-30-13, 06:55
You are wrong about BCM.

{this is the last I'll say on this, as it's getting off topic}

This is why Ruger has virtually no PD business, and neither does BCM. Springfield we ARE direct with, as is another LGS I used to work for.

There is a difference between "hey, we got slammed with order and we don't expect to be able to ship any new orders before the end of 2013" and "sorry, you have to place all orders through a distributor now."

There was no mention of them going back to taking dealer sales should the bubble burst, and a LE dept doesn't pay excise tax. There is no way to get a PD pricing through a distributor because virtually none of them will go through that process. So after I talked a number of agencies into DD rifles for their 2013 budgets, I've got to go back to them and tell them that the manufacturer isn't interested in taking their orders now.

Buying from a distributor might not be the end of the world for most over the counter sales, but it is the nail in the coffin for agency sales. If you'd like to know why most PD's carry Bushmasters, S&W's and the like... this is why.

Jim D
01-30-13, 11:13
You are wrong about BCM.

I'll have to take your word for it then. I have yet to come across a single department who owns even one BCM brand AR (not individuals, but departments). Maybe it's just a regional thing.

jonconsiglio
02-04-13, 17:00
You are wrong about BCM.

Yep. I've seen a few departments using them.

I love how people have gotten to the point where if it's not true in there area, it must not be true anywhere.

Numerous officers on Lightfighter are issued BCM's. So, it's not like we have to venture too far out of our world to find that info. Especially those of us that post there.

msstate56
02-04-13, 19:54
Big thread drift but,

BCM will most certainly put together orders for a PD. We were looking at ordering rifles for our PD and BCM basically said just tell us what you want and we'll build it.

CoryCop25
02-04-13, 21:44
I'll have to take your word for it then. I have yet to come across a single department who owns even one BCM brand AR (not individuals, but departments). Maybe it's just a regional thing.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=73582

leeradio13
04-02-13, 20:08
The SBR is basically a 300BLK Mk18, with the smaller DDM4 rail instead of the RIS II rail. I like it a lot!

totally want that DD 300blk SBR! however i prefer the flat dark earth RIS II rail on the mk18, do you think DD will do me a favor and switch out the ddm4 rail before shipping it to me? :happy:

Dmaynor
04-11-13, 23:57
So is the suppressor just that much smaller to fit under the rail or is the rail larger than first glacé would indicate.