PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?? Maybe time to change...

RSarge
01-28-13, 13:35
The NRA just posted this article about DHS aquiring 7000 select fire PDWs (Personal Defense Weapons), Good enough for them but not us??

Since the public sees AR-15 and Assault Weapon as synonymous maybe it's time for us to do like DHS and call them Personal Defense Weapons too.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/26/if-assault-weapons-are-bad-why-does-the-dhs-want-to-buy-7000-of-them-for-personal-defense/

Big A
01-28-13, 13:41
I like the way you think...

rdbse
01-28-13, 13:41
Excellent first post. I am fed up with this political BS.

RSarge
01-28-13, 13:49
Excellent first post. I am fed up with this political BS.

Thanks, I am going to try it right now on my wife, she just got home so I am going to mention that I am going to buy another PDW and see how she responds....:dirol:

wideglide
01-28-13, 14:33
This definitely weakens the liberal anti gun argument. DHS not only defined them as good for home defense but added the select fire to the mix.

nml
01-28-13, 15:18
Weakens the argument implies they had one to begin with. Let's face it, if a good number of Americans fail to see that every major proponent of so-called "gun control" happens to have an armed 24/7 security detail, this won't open their eyes. You're either capable of critical thought or you're not.

SteyrAUG
01-28-13, 19:39
I always liked Sport Utility Rifle.

Mauser KAR98K
01-28-13, 19:45
I always enjoyed Home and Homeland Defense Rifle.

BrigandTwoFour
01-28-13, 20:12
I've always liked Sport Utility Rifle as well.

As much as I think the PDW angle could work in our favor, I don't think it's technically correct. As much as we all harp on the other side for getting the assault rifle terminology wrong, I don't think we should co-opt a term that has an accepted definition already (to describe short barreled automatic rifles).

Kfgk14
01-28-13, 20:48
I call 'em none of anyone's ****ing business, when gun-grabbing statist ****s ask me. Sorry, no apologies, it's an AR. That's the terminology, not changing it :dirol:

djegators
01-28-13, 23:30
Read this today, makes a lot of sense:

Status Update
By Denny Hansen
I have a wild idea: how about all of us stop espousing the same terms the anti-gun people use?

Assault rifle: Those words should never leave our mouth. And while at it, and I'm not too keen on the pro-gun term of modern sporting rifle. Why bunch a lot of firearms under one name? Why not just call it a rifle and leave it at that?

High capacity magazine: Unless you're carrying a Beta C mag, one of SureFire's mags or something similar, you have a (gasp) standard capacity magazine. On the other hand if you have a 10-round mag in a Glock 17, you have a diminished capacity magazine.

Just food for thought...

Magic_Salad0892
01-28-13, 23:35
I think the term PDW should be used for all firearms for personal defense.

As for what we know as PDWs like the KAC PDW, HK MP7A1, or FN P90....

I think we should just call them submachineguns.

Well... the KAC gun actually fires a real bullet, so we should just call that an SBR. I mean... we call a Krink an SBR...

fixit69
01-28-13, 23:38
How about rifle and pistol magazine. High or low has no bearing.

Why do people label? How about:
A more efficient magazine.
A better magazine.
A multiple attacker magazine
The list goes on and on...

shootist~
01-28-13, 23:50
Homeland Defense Rifle.

That's what I've always called my truck gun. Then there's my 3-Gun rifle, Sporting Clays gun, and so on.

I do like the term PDW though, especially for the ones that are used for exactly that.