PDA

View Full Version : PT1911ar owner looking for a new ride

Wolfgang5320
01-29-13, 17:19
I currently have a Taurus PT1911ar (the one with the rail) & starting to flirt with the idea of trading it to buy something else, or keep it for a backup & get something else (Kimber, SA). My question is; if you were in my position, what would you choose? Tax money is already burning a hole in my pocket & haven't even got it yet!

maddawg5777
01-29-13, 20:09
The key here is what will be your budget? Are you having any issues with the Taurus or just want something new and higher end? Also will this be a range toy or ccw/HD/duty weapon?

Wolfgang5320
01-29-13, 20:22
Range toy & soon ccw. The ambi safety on the PT sucks (has a tendency to come apart) & have had ftf issues even after polishing the ramp using Federal ammo. Looking to spend around $800-$1000 whether I trade or not. Just thinkin' if I trade, I will save a little coin.

obucina
01-29-13, 20:24
i have a nifty SA for sale with some mags and misc extras :)

SteveS
01-29-13, 21:42
Instead of just buying another run of the mill Blah mass consumer 1911 Save up and buy a Wilson combat type /class of 1911.

maddawg5777
01-29-13, 21:43
In that price range I'd say springer loaded/operatorand if you can hold a few more pennies I'd opt for the trp. Used ones can be found right around 1k or just over. Also Dan Wesson makes a great non mim gun ( if you care) for a price near the trp.

SteveS
01-29-13, 21:51
Dan Wessons 1911are the highest quality best deal on the market for what they offer for the price.

bigghoss
01-29-13, 21:56
Between Taurus' reputation and the fact that you're having issues with it I would sell it and buy something better. Take what you get for the PT1911 and your cash budget and you can get a good 1911 in the $1300-1500 range. 1911's are fickle mistresses and you really get what you pay for. There's a few good options under $1000 but generally if you want a good 1911 you have to make a serious investment.

Wolfgang5320
01-29-13, 22:02
Even the Wilson Combat classic is around $3K. The Dan Wesson, however, is a nice idea. I like the look of the SA loaded as well though. Decisions, decisions. Lol

Wolfgang5320
01-29-13, 22:04
Between Taurus' reputation and the fact that you're having issues with it I would sell it and buy something better. Take what you get for the PT1911 and your cash budget and you can get a good 1911 in the $1300-1500 range. 1911's are fickle mistresses and you really get what you pay for. There's a few good options under $1000 but generally if you want a good 1911 you have to make a serious investment.

I wholeheartedly agree! Didn't know much about the Taurus animal when I bought it. My first 1911 was a SA mil-spec in OD green.... Lost due to a wife who loved to spend money I didn't have (divorced now thank god!).

Wolfgang5320
01-29-13, 22:12
i have a nifty SA for sale with some mags and misc extras :)

Obicina, I can't PM you from tapatalk... PMing me your e-mail?

Wolfgang5320
01-29-13, 22:13
Obucina. Damn tablet

NWcityguy2
01-29-13, 22:39
I have a CZ Dan Wesson I shoot USPSA with, it is a nice gun but far from the sparkling internet reputation they currently have. It was built too tight from the factory which caused a lot of jams, had problems with light strikes, is real picky about going to slide lock and I shot the front sight off in the first 5k rounds. It has about 15k through it right now and is pretty good about no jams until after 300 rounds through it without cleaning.

It is a good 1911 and will last me a while but it isn't perfect either.

Auto426
01-29-13, 23:20
In the $1000 range I prefer Colt. Dan Wesson gets a lot of praise and they make some nice guns, but their prices have crept up and I would rather save the $500 or so bucks and take a Colt.

maddawg5777
01-29-13, 23:40
I would have loved to of grabbed a colt rail gun when they were 1k now most are 1300 plus. I just checked the prices on th dw's and man have they climbed. I remember looking at a valor and it was under 1400 after tax locally. Not sure if they are worth the 1800ish they want now.

bigghoss
01-29-13, 23:42
I wholeheartedly agree! Didn't know much about the Taurus animal when I bought it. My first 1911 was a SA mil-spec in OD green.... Lost due to a wife who loved to spend money I didn't have (divorced now thank god!).

I've bought a lot of guns before I knew better. Most of the time I got lucky and didn't lose my ass on the deal. The SA Mil-Spec is a pretty good option for under $1000 but the loaded model is right at $1000 through galleryofguns.com. I have an operator which is about $1300 and I really like the gun but it has had constant issues with the extractor. I haven't heard of anyone having the amount of trouble with a SA 1911 that I have but they always pay shipping both ways and attempt to fix it without question.

Colt Rail Gun is actually about $100 cheaper than the operator, but doesn't come with night sights.

Wolfgang5320
01-30-13, 00:14
I've recently seen a very nice 4" barrel Kimber at my LGS & there's always been a soft spot for them with me. I don't know why really, I've never owned one, nor has anyone I know. Besides the "OMG! The mainspring housing is PLASTIC!!", is there anything inherently wrong with the brand that isn't present in the other big names as well? I've personally never cared for Colt 1911's since I saw my brother go through quite a bit of grief trying to keep his from rusting. Yes, rusting. Shoot, wipe down/clean, put away. Next time out of case, RUST. He has a basic SA 1911 now & loves it.

bigghoss
01-30-13, 01:18
Not sure how the company is lately but their GC took a dive a while back. My understanding is the man responsible for that then went on to ruin Sig's reputation too.

TriviaMonster
01-30-13, 18:46
I've recently seen a very nice 4" barrel Kimber at my LGS & there's always been a soft spot for them with me. I don't know why really, I've never owned one, nor has anyone I know. Besides the "OMG! The mainspring housing is PLASTIC!!", is there anything inherently wrong with the brand that isn't present in the other big names as well? I've personally never cared for Colt 1911's since I saw my brother go through quite a bit of grief trying to keep his from rusting. Yes, rusting. Shoot, wipe down/clean, put away. Next time out of case, RUST. He has a basic SA 1911 now & loves it.

The Kimbers just aren't built with the same care as other guns in their price range. I have seen 2 Kimbers crap badly and should have never left the shop like they were. I would go Colt or SA, and SA has the BEST customer service in the industry. Kimber is going downhill and has been for years now. They are more worried about making new models than fixing old problems. Wait was I talking about Sig?

Better yet, save a bit more and get the new Colt USMC type gun. Its a full Colt custom build and is incredibly sexy. About $2k if you can find one when they start shipping.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Redbeardsong
01-31-13, 08:29
I'd say Colt or Springfield in that price range.

cdunn
01-31-13, 12:48
as far as Kimbers go I believe the older they are the better,pre series 2,I understand that they had better quality control, that being said I had a tactical pro 2 that I sent back and the customer service was very helpful and paid for everything,I feel like they went above and beyond my expectations.I just bought an elite pro the other day and if it has any issues I have full confidence that kimber would make it right.they offer several models for under 1k.this is just my experience and opinions ,I'm sure others will tell you different.

bondmid003
02-01-13, 09:16
Springfield Armory or Colt without shadow of a doubt.

wingspar
02-05-13, 19:01
I currently have a Taurus PT1911ar (the one with the rail) & starting to flirt with the idea of trading it to buy something else, or keep it for a backup & get something else (Kimber, SA). My question is; if you were in my position, what would you choose? Tax money is already burning a hole in my pocket & haven't even got it yet!

I have a PT 1911 I bought new about 5 months ago. In a little over 700 rounds, I’ve had zero issues, tho I hate the ambi-thumb safety. I have a Wilson Combat safety sitting right here, and will probably have it installed sometime this month.

I don’t have the urge to get another 1911 as long as my Taurus holds up, and I think it will be fine for a long time, but if it was me, I’d keep the Taurus and buy what you want. Lots to choose from. A Springfield Range Officer was high on my list, but since I live remotely, and the LGS keeps the Taurus in stock and I could fondle it, I decided to try it. Have been quite satisfied. For under $1000 you are limited, but there are still some good choices.

Wolfgang5320
02-05-13, 20:47
Maybe I've got a lemon. Or the previous owner abused it.

B4RK3R
02-05-13, 21:36
Another great one to look at is the Smith & Wesson SW1911TA E series. Railed, Government length, flat serrated top and rear, tritium night sights standard, Ambi safety, big external extractor which S&W is known for having ZERO issues with, you can either get it in stainless or melonite finish all backed by S&W lifetime warranty and its made in the good ole USA. I also like the slide serrations! I had mine for $1100 out the door and have shot 600ish rounds through it with ZERO malfunctions... Plus everyone owns a Colt and SA's (absolutely nothing wrong with that might I add lol). And if its for carry they make a bobtailed commander version with a scandium frame for about the same price! Check em out

offroader1006
02-05-13, 21:36
I'd spring for a sig personally