PDA

View Full Version : What Postponement of the U.S.'s Largest Gun Show Says About America

kmrtnsn
01-29-13, 22:48
Frank Miniter, Contributor

Op/Ed
|
1/27/2013 @ 8:00AM

Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show: What Postponement of the U.S.'s Largest Gun Show Says About America

The media is missing the real story behind the “postponement” of the largest outdoor show in America. This is a story of ignorance, bias and a gross misunderstanding of America and Americans.

This unfortunate fight began when Reed Exhibitions, a British events organizing company, announced that firearms and products associated with modern sporting rifles (guns the media has given the dubious label “assault rifles”) wouldn’t be allowed at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show. The show was scheduled to begin on February 2 in Harrisburg, Penn.

Reed Exhibitions prohibition also extended to images of modern sporting rifles. They wanted to whitewash a firearm category with Orwellian zeal from the show because they deem these semi-automatic rifles to be too militaristic..........................

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2013/01/27/eastern-sports-and-outdoor-show-what-postponement-of-the-u-s-s-largest-gun-show-says-about-america/

SeriousStudent
01-29-13, 23:02
Good article.

It's a shame that the local merchants will feel the impact of a British firm's foolishness. But the unity shown by the boycotting companies is outstanding, and more important.

lunchbox
01-29-13, 23:21
Well I say that the British can kiss my red blooded American ass...And afterwards, when they go back home(to that sh!tty food and worst weather), they can take Piers Morgan.:D I'll even spring for the ticket.

SteveS
01-31-13, 19:24
The industry is getting smart!!!

Moose-Knuckle
01-31-13, 20:00
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

J Krammes
01-31-13, 21:34
I have been to this show many times since I was a kid. It is not really a gun show at all. I don't know why they are protraying that way. It is mainly a hunting expo dealing with out door activities which includes shooting. There are alot of boats and ATV's. The reason I want to make the point that it is not a gun show is to show how big of a statement it was that so many exibitors pulled out.

SOWT
02-01-13, 09:33
Does Reed "own" the show, or were they working for someone else?

I really hope NSSF finds another organizer for next year.

d90king
02-01-13, 11:14
I am very proud of the work I put into making that happen! :cool: It is time the we all stand together. No more trying to separate the hunters from the guys running an M4 etc...

We are all one and should act accordingly.

I can tell you that both NSSF and Reed were shocked at the turn of events that occurred in less than 48 hours. I am still waiting on NSSF to separate themselves from Reed for future SHOT shows. The job needs to go to an American company that fully supports the second amendment and the values of the community.

d90king
02-01-13, 11:18
Does Reed "own" the show, or were they working for someone else?

I really hope NSSF finds another organizer for next year.

That is Reeds show. NSSF owns SHOT and contracts Reed's services to put the show together... I am hopeful that I will get word from Michael that NSSF has severed ties with Reed in short order.

SOWT
02-02-13, 12:28
That is Reeds show. NSSF owns SHOT and contracts Reed's services to put the show together... I am hopeful that I will get word from Michael that NSSF has severed ties with Reed in short order.

I hope so, I just started working for a small company in Keerville/SA TX and the owner was all set to join NSSF, but they are waiting to see what their position is before dropping $450 (?) on membership.

They think NRA is doing more then NSSF.