PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45 question

newyork
01-30-13, 13:08
Just got an M&P 45 mid with apex upgrades and night sights installed. Gun seems very accurate and handles beautifully with light recoil. I have a bunch of mags, ammo and have some kydex too.
Something I noticed:
Slide release is unreal tight and requires a lot of force to release the slide unlike my 9mm FS. Something that will wear in?
Take down lever doesn't stay verticle unless I hold it verticle, in order to take the slide off. Not a biggie, just weird.
Trigger pull and travel is much better and crisper than my 9fs except there is absolutely no reset. Not audible or tactile. I have to let the trigger go all the way forward in order to fire again. Get used to it or should this be rectified? Can it be?

ap1220
01-30-13, 13:20
I don't have much experience with the M&P45, but in my experience with Glock 21s, and Glock 30s, the heavier duty spring for the .45acp made new gun slide releases difficult to press(let alone the little button there :D), I am thinking similar traits. Should get easier with use.

CoryCop25
01-30-13, 13:27
I have the same pistol you described with the same Apex parts. Yes, the slide stop is a bit tough. It will get a little better. A lot easier with rounds in the magazine. There is no tactile reset on these pistols. I really wish Apex would make a RAM for it like the 9/40/357 pistols. My M&P 9 has none of these issues. The take down lever is a non issue as long as it stays horizontal and locked into place. Try to find out what year your pistol was made, I know the earlier ones had issues with the take down lever but it was more about the finish and the part rusting.

StrikerFired
01-30-13, 13:27
Those are all normal on the M&P 45. I just takes a little getting used to, as far as the trigger goes I don't know if Apex makes a drop in Kit for that but I know Doug over at ATEi does a nice trigger clean up and MP pistols for fair price. I have had Doug work all the triggers in my pistols and I couldn't be happier.

newyork
01-30-13, 13:31
Thanks guys. Was made this year. Purchased brand new. The non reset I can get used to with time. The other things seem normal and will get better with use it seems.

wahoo95
01-30-13, 13:44
The reset is pretty much non existent in terms of feel but you should still be able to fire again without coming all the way off the trigger.

I replaced mine with the Apex FSS and its the shiznut!

newyork
01-30-13, 13:46
Mine has APEX sear, striker block and DCAEK.

Watrdawg
01-30-13, 13:47
I have the same weapon and sent mine to Bowie Tactical for his LX trigger work. I also asked him about the slide release and he said he could take care of that for me. Wepon came back about a month later and the trigger is great. Definite reset and slide release is just as easy to manipulate as my Glock 17. Bowie does good work.

CoryCop25
01-30-13, 13:49
Smith and Wesson pistols suck for trigger reset. I can remember a dash cam video of an Idaho Stater Trooper trying to return fire during a gunfight on a traffic stop. He was doing remedial action drills and attempted to reload. All he needed to do was release the trigger until it reset. I have always had trouble short stroking reset on Sigs but never my M&Ps.

LHQuattro
01-30-13, 14:02
I've had to fix most of my new M&Ps slide releases - most have come stupid hard to release. Its very easy to fix though. I've fixed maybe 5 now?

If it doesn't get easier on its own, just take some sandpaper and lighly sand the engagement points on the release lever and on the slide release notch. Easy does it. 20-30 seconds very lightly sanding the notch should do it.

LHQuattro
01-30-13, 14:09
Are you sure the trigger has to go all the way forward to reset?

That's hard for me to fathom. It seems reset length varies and is inconsistent, but no M&P I've ever handled required you to let the trigger all the way out.

One of the things I like about the M&P - from a gunhandling/safety standpoint - is that its trigger tends to have a long take up before the break point, and a relatively short reset.
That long take up gives me time and distance to before the gun goes off and adds a margin of safety - but the shorter reset means its easier to fire follow up shots quickly. Kinda like a DA/SA autoloader, but with a lighter trigger pull.
For me, this is preferrable to say a Glock trigger.

CoryCop25
01-30-13, 14:16
Are you sure the trigger has to go all the way forward to reset?

That's hard for me to fathom. It seems reset length varies and is inconsistent, but no M&P I've ever handled required you to let the trigger all the way out.

One of the things I like about the M&P - from a gunhandling/safety standpoint - is that its trigger tends to have a long take up before the break point, and a relatively short reset.
That long take up gives me time and distance to before the gun goes off and adds a margin of safety - but the shorter reset means its easier to fire follow up shots quickly. Kinda like a DA/SA autoloader, but with a lighter trigger pull.
For me, this is preferrable to say a Glock trigger.

No, not all the way out. The issue is that you can't feel it resetting so you can pull the trigger prematurely in a bad situation. Glocks and the Walther PPQ in my opinion have the best triggers right now.
I was issued a S&W 4006 when I first came on the job. I didn't have much trouble with reset but I had to think about it a bit. When I started at my current PD, we had Sig 226s. I was the king of short stroking with that pistol. I loved the accuracy but hated the trigger!

LHQuattro
01-30-13, 14:22
No, not all the way out. The issue is that you can't feel it resetting so you can pull the trigger prematurely in a bad situation. Glocks and the Walther PPQ in my opinion have the best triggers right now.
I was issued a S&W 4006 when I first came on the job. I didn't have much trouble with reset but I had to think about it a bit. When I started at my current PD, we had Sig 226s. I was the king of short stroking with that pistol. I loved the accuracy but hated the trigger!

I hear ya. I shot 1911s exclusively for a long time. Then I tried a Hi-power for awhile. That was embarrassing - looong reset length and completely indiscernable = many short strokings.

I've kinda decided I don't care that much about a tactile reset. When shooting fast I never feel or notice it anyway. Its nice to have when shooting slow, but when the chips are down I don't notice it.

Now I just try to learn the trigger and make sure I release it well past the reset point. I don't try to "ride the link" and go just to the reset point anymore. Now I just try to unconsciously reset the trigger in recoil.

newyork
01-30-13, 14:22
Ill check how far my trigger has to go in order to reset, this weekend.

wahoo95
01-30-13, 14:45
Hate to tell you but when things go bad you will never feel your reset :D

You will revert back to the muscle memory that you have ingrained which through practice should have given you a firm grasp of how far you need to release for reset.

DocGKR
01-30-13, 20:29
"Reset"...really? As noted before, while the lack of tactile reset on M&P's bothers some folks, it has turned out not to be a big deal for me. There is a good interview with Rob Leatham where he discusses trigger reset and its irrelevance when shooting at speed (starts at 2:37): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqqhSSiU_j8. It is bizarre that if one of the best shooters in the world is clearly stating reset is not a concern when shooting, why do so many people get so worked-up about it???

Hogsgunwild
01-30-13, 21:14
Yep, people are way too hung up on resets...

Jdbl14
01-30-13, 21:20
I have heard about my 9c's "horrible" reset from all of my glock and 1911 buddies, and you know what? I could care less... It's only an issue if you let it be. As has been stated, "train for what you have, not what X, y, z other gun has." At the very least, training to let the trigger all the way out on every shot
You won't ever run into a situation where you are "short-stroking".

I also had problems with my slide release being very tight. I filed down the tab on my release lever, just a teenie bit and while it is still a little stubborn I hardly ever notice it. Often when I let others shoot it they go to release the slide and look at me like something is wrong, I just say, "don't be afraid to give it a little push, it's not like it's a fragile antique."

The disassembly lever would be nice if it just flipped down, and stayed there while removing the slide, but as has also been said," as long as it says up and keeps the slide from flying off when I don't want it to, I'm not complaining... "

Watrdawg
01-31-13, 07:32
Even though in my earlier post I said I can feel a definite reset with my trigger now, as I think about it the only time I really concentrate on trying to feel it is in a class. In all of LAV's classes we do reset work. However, when I'm shooting other drills I never concentrate on recognizing the reset. I'm concentrating on the mechanics of that drill. I'm sure that in a situation where you have to defend yourself with your handgun reset will be the farthest thing from your mind.

newyork
01-31-13, 08:25
Well said. Understood. I will be working on it. Bad habit I will have to erase.