PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Project

Euclidean
03-06-08, 16:52
Hey M4carbine goers! New poster here obviously, but I've been looking at this site for quite a while now off and on.

The short version here is that I have two AR15s that I'd consider "tier 2" or "commercial" rifles.

One I'm very happy with for what I spent on it It was my first AR. It's a DPMS lower built up with a parts kit and a Stag Upper. No it's not milspec in any way and it's just a parts gun, but it's worked well and I'm going to keep shooting it. As things break, and they will break, I'll replace and upgrade them. I've replaced a couple of parts already (due to loss on my part not breakage) but overall I'm very pleased with my Stag, and consider it more inexpensive than cheap. I've gone to some basic classes with local instructors and it has held up. How it would perform at some of the more rigorous classes with the name brand trainers I have no idea.

The other one I like a lot but it's a plinker and not a fighting rifle. I like to shoot it and all but it's just not quite what I'd like it to be. This rifle is a Bushmaster lower with a 20" HBAR profile Armalite upper. It works fine as far as working goes but I'm less satisfied with its features and performance, so I've decided to basically overhaul this gun.

Internal lower parts I've got. I basically buy whatever seem to be the best parts I can find at odd intervals and keep them around, and I replace as I use them up.

Total budget is $950. I stretched that from an initial figure of $800 once I discovered I could save a little more, and that just a little bit more money would get me markedly better parts. I decided to spend roughly $750 of that on the upper. This is what I've come up with.

LMT 16" upper - I know the 14.5" is more "milspec" but if I'm going sub 16" it would only be with SBR paperwork. I like to be able to fix or replace things at home so I don't like permanently attached muzzle devices. I'd rather spend $200 on the rifle than on taking a few inches off the bore. I can get it with a very serviceable BCG and CH from Bravo Company for $615.

The only catch is I don't have a spare rear sight or carry handle so I'd have to buy one. I'm thinking the LMT Adjustable Tactical sight for the rear sight, about $120 so same as a good carry handle. I won't be able to add any optic any time soon so it's going to be all iron sights for some time, and I like this sight because it's fixed (doesn't fold) and it's just like a regular A2 sight, and I'm a big fan of the A2 sights.

I like to keep my lower internals the same as every other AR15 for ease of maintenance and as I said I'm already covered there.

What I would like to change is I'd like to go ahead and change out my A2 stock. If I'm going to do that, I figure I might as well go ahead and get a Milspec buffer tube and the new hardware I need for a stock, about $70ish.

I'd also like some new furniture. I'm thinking Magpul CTR for the stock and a Tango Down battle grip. I like the adjustable stock but I want one that doesn't have so much slop in it, and the A2 grip is fine but it chafes and can even bruise a little with extended use. That's about $130 worth of furniture.

That's a few dollars under budget and I think it will be a dramatic upgrade.

Desired upgrades at this point still include a Gas Buster charging handle and Vickers sling, but these aren't too expensive relatively speaking and I can add them later with great ease. But I have a decent sling I can recycle already that will serve in the interim, and I've honestly never needed the Gas Buster before so it can wait. Birthday or Christmas presents, perhaps.:D

I plan on keeping the old parts so I can shoot the other upper if I feel like it. I might turn it into a third rifle in time if I can find a cheap stripped lower.

I think it's a good plan, and makes the most use of what I can afford to spend. Any thoughts are appreciated.

palakaboy
03-08-08, 04:31
you wont be disappointed with the CTR's performance...no wiggles.

as far as comfort. i couldn't comment on that since its subjective.

from what i've heard look forward to upgraded (replacing) you dpms parts as i've heard that they are prone to breaking....

Mr.B
03-11-08, 02:51
rainier arms has stag stripped lowers for $115 if you want to take all your left over parts and make a cheap 'frankengun'