PDA

View Full Version : Any south paws that run glocks here? Need help

Petrov
01-31-13, 09:30
Hey guys, I am having a bit of a problem. Was shaking down my glock 19 3rd genand getting used to it and I started to have what I think are user induced malfunctions.

Sometimes when I draw and fire several rounds my middle finger manages to ride on the mag release and sometimes it pushes on it enough to release the mag usually 3/4 way through the magazine, where I have to do a tap and rack to get it running again.

Any one here having similar problems?

I push the mag release with my middle finger so I was thinking of filing down the mag release button a bit.

kornbread402
01-31-13, 09:58
I've ran Glock's for about ten yours and I am a southpaw as well. I had a problem when I went with the extended mag release and quickly changed back to stock. I have never had the problem with the standard mag release. Fileing down would prob work just dont get to short it's already a pain to release as a lefty as it is.

Petrov
01-31-13, 10:35
You know, I bought the glock used and it had lots of tactical faggotry going on, I probably have the extended mag release!
*slaps forehead*

militarymoron
01-31-13, 10:41
use the standard or vickers mag release. never had an issue with those, but extended mag releases cause the same issue you mentioned, especially with gloves. i'm a lefty.

beschatten
01-31-13, 15:58
another wrong handed person here.

try filing it down.

Russell92
02-01-13, 00:01
Fellow lefty here. I've been shooting Glocks for well over a decade and never had this problem; however, I have somewhat smaller hands. I suppose if you have bigger, meatier hands your middle finger would come in contact more with the mag release. Definitely put a stock, non-extended release in there and see if that fixes your problems.

One of the first things I do with all new Glocks before shooting them is take a file or emory board and round off the front 2 corners and front edge of the mag release. If I don't the bottom-front corner digs into my middle finger and hurts during recoil. You only need to round it off a little bit to make it a lot more comfortable. Don't file it down too much or it becomes hard to press it enough to release the mag...ask me how I know :smile:

PathofPain
02-01-13, 00:10
I am brand new to the Glock platform but I'll echo the sentiments above. I purchased an extended mag release and then slightly angled the front in and softened the corners up. Dropping a mag with the standard release with my shooting hand (I'm a lefty) I found that my finger would press into the edge of the square profile, and filing down a standard length mag release didn't really leave me enough meat on it to get a reliable drop. So I just modified the extended one and it works great.

HiPower Fan
02-01-13, 02:49
Been shooting Glocks for about 15 years and release the mag button with my middle finger also. I love the Vickers extended mag release, to me it is the perfect length. I often find the factory mag release button to be difficult to press in.

Arik
02-01-13, 07:37
Another lefty. Been using Glocks for a few years. All my are stock, never had any problems

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

bondmid003
02-01-13, 09:19
You just have to practice and get good with your hand placement. I shoot lefthanded as well and I've had similar issues with different guns I own. My P226 has an issue with my fingers riding up just enough to bump the slide release up so that the slide locks back when it shouldn't. I just have to consciously work on my hand placement.

demkofour
02-01-13, 09:40
Another southpaw here...
I've been running the GLOCK platform since around early 1990 when assigned to my department FTS. Our agency was amongst the first large LE agencies that transitioned to GLOCK 9mm. Since then I have put hundreds of thousands of rounds down range mostly with G19s. I always ran them with the standard magazine release with no problems whatsoever. I would say I have mediums sized hands.
When LV introduced his outstanding magazine release I grabbed one up just to try out. At this point all of my GLOCKs have the Vickers mag release. A great addition and highly recommended...