PDA

View Full Version : What is the AR15 of 223 bolt guns?

GrandPooba
01-31-13, 12:19
Looking for the "AR15" of .223cal bolt guns. So obviously, the key traits would be reliability, ergonomics, availability of parts, accuracy, etc.

Thanks

Seagunner
01-31-13, 14:06
There's about a thousand choices. Remington 700, Savage,Weatherby, CZ. Thats like asking whats the AR15 of Ar15's. Everybody drinks their own flavor of koolaid.

Freelance
01-31-13, 14:49
+1 to the Remi 700, I think it meets all of the requirements that you listed and has more aftermarket stuff between actions and stocks than any of its competition for tailoring to your specifics.

GrandPooba
01-31-13, 16:17
sorry should've been more specific. I'm more interested if there is a Colt/BCM/DD/LMT/etc equivalent for .223 bolt guns.

I do see that the Rem 700 is very popular, are there large quality differences between the various models?

juliomorris
01-31-13, 20:18
Mossberg has a great idea with their MVP, the design isn't bad but Remington or Howa or even Savage needs to steal their design or at least the idea and run with it. It allows you to use AR mags and it is a smaller action because it designed around the 556.

I picked one up for my daughters to use varmit hunting and I use it frequently. Its not a bad rifle but it does have a few weak areas like the feeding mech, it could be beefier plus the bottom metal isn't metal its plastic. The trigger isn't bad but could be improved, it is crisp. Time will tell how it holds up, I do alot of varmit hunting so we will see.

I know both Remington and Savage have smaller framed rifle for 223 but they aren't made by them I think both are made in Turkey. But I do like the idea of a action designed around 556 and ar mags.

Gem1950
01-31-13, 23:39
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt109/draper1950/Rem700007.jpg

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-01-13, 08:17
I'm going out on a limb here with the answer or AI, as its the only factory produced equivalent in service with a great number of nations in which you can readily buy a direct copy, to my knowledge.

jwfuhrman
02-01-13, 08:40
I picked up one of the Mossberg MVP Predator 223 bolt actions, they take AR15 magazines. My 69gr handload shoots AMAZING thru this. I've only had it out to 300 but a 4in AR500 plate was not a problem for this gun with my Vortex 4.5-14 PST.

I'm curious to see how well it shoots with a 75gr load at 600. Once the North Pole shifts back to the north farther(its 15 below here today and 30mph winds), and since I work for a gun store/range that has out to 1000 I'm gonna take it out to 600. I'll never shoot it to 1000 as I know thats not a reality, but 600 shouldn't be a problem.

Alot of folks are gonna rag on the Mossberg bolt gun but by God it shoots.

caporider
02-01-13, 08:51
The Savage bolt guns are easy to work on if you have a few simple tools and a good bench vise. The barrel nut design means barrel swaps are quite easy (provided you have the proper headspace gauges, which can be rented for just a few dollars), bolt disassembly is straightforward, etc. In contrast, barrel swaps on a Remington Model 700 are more involved and can require machining. There are also lots of aftermarket Savage parts available now, including prefit premium barrels from Shilen, Criterion, and others.

On a Colt/BCM to Bushmaster/DPMS scale, IMHO the Savages fall into Rock River Arms territory: great for range use and hunting, probably not the best choice for extended use in extreme conditions. Just looking at the way the extractor is set up, for example, confirms this for me.

As mentioned by others, the AI bolt guns (even the AE MkIII) offer switch-barrel capability and extreme reliability, but their initial cost is high (starting right around $4k).

okie john
02-01-13, 15:26
Looking for the "AR15" of .223cal bolt guns. So obviously, the key traits would be reliability, ergonomics, availability of parts, accuracy, etc.

Thanks

It depends on what you want to do with it. Bolt actions are nowhere near as complex as gas-operated semi-autos, and people figured out how to make them reliable, ergonomically friendly, accurate, etc. a long time ago.

For a rifle that you'll shoot a lot and not carry much (and/or use to test stuff), get a Remington 700. If you're going to set it up once and not change the configuration much, then carry it around hunting and such, I'd go light: Tikka T3 series, Remington Model 7, Kimber, etc.

Lots of good choices out there, but just like building an AR, the starting platform depends on your intended use.

Okie John

karmapolice
02-01-13, 15:59
Is the barrel thickness to thick to run a AAC SPR/M4 mount over and can that front sight be removed so it is not in the way?

I picked up one of the Mossberg MVP Predator 223 bolt actions, they take AR15 magazines. My 69gr handload shoots AMAZING thru this. I've only had it out to 300 but a 4in AR500 plate was not a problem for this gun with my Vortex 4.5-14 PST.

I'm curious to see how well it shoots with a 75gr load at 600. Once the North Pole shifts back to the north farther(its 15 below here today and 30mph winds), and since I work for a gun store/range that has out to 1000 I'm gonna take it out to 600. I'll never shoot it to 1000 as I know thats not a reality, but 600 shouldn't be a problem.

Alot of folks are gonna rag on the Mossberg bolt gun but by God it shoots.

jwfuhrman
02-01-13, 19:57
front sight? what front sight?

karmapolice
02-01-13, 20:07
the one with the black stock that comes with a 16inch threaded barrel has sights.

Auto426
02-01-13, 21:01
What is the AR15 of 223 bolt guns?

An AR-15 with the gas blocked off? :blink:

If your looking for something with a large aftermarket that performs well, then a Remington 700 is probably the best bet. There are plenty of other good options out there though.

CAVDOC
02-02-13, 02:34
I am going to come out of left field here and say the 223 version of the steyr scout would fit the bill. I have the 308 version. Sub moa accurate in a7 pound package, detachable mags integral bipod back up iron sights. You just have to get past the $2500 price tag

Gem1950
02-02-13, 08:21
I am going to come out of left field here and say the 223 version of the steyr scout would fit the bill. I have the 308 version. Sub moa accurate in a7 pound package, detachable mags integral bipod back up iron sights. You just have to get past the $2500 price tag

Yes, too bad there is nothing comparable at a more afordable price.http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt109/draper1950/steyr_scout_3.jpg

jwfuhrman
02-02-13, 08:44
the one with the black stock that comes with a 16inch threaded barrel has sights.

thats the Patrol, not the Predator.

Predator: http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-mvp-series-mvp-predator/27715

Patrol: http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-mvp-series-mvp-patrol/27755

rickwinger
02-02-13, 12:04
Hmm. I'm old enough to remember when the question would have been phrased "what is the Maytag of bolt action ...?" etc. Guess I'm feeling my age today.

Anyway, IMHO it is the Remington 700.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okie john
02-02-13, 13:31
You just have to get past the $2500 price tag

Yep. But trying to build the equivalent costs a lot more.

Okie John

Jake'sDad
02-03-13, 16:43
thats the Patrol, not the Predator.

Predator: http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-mvp-series-mvp-predator/27715

Patrol: http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-mvp-series-mvp-patrol/27755

If the Patrol rifle weighed a lb and a half less, that would be interesting.

Raven Armament
02-03-13, 17:57

Thanks
When someone wants a basic bolt action .223 that won't break the bank but is a solid, accurate rifle, I tell them to look at the Remington 700 SPS. Affordable, accurate, lots of aftermarket, great support from the manufacturer. I also see a lot of long range shooters cut their teeth on them. Cheap ammo, low recoil, and a good "training wheels" rifle to get the basics down before they spring money on a more expensive rifle.

Mossberg has a great idea with their MVP, the design isn't bad but Remington or Howa or even Savage needs to steal their design or at least the idea and run with it. It allows you to use AR mags and it is a smaller action because it designed around the 556.
I've been wishing Remington would adapt their Model Seven .223 to accept AR mags. That would be a little daisy of a rifle.

Atlshaun
02-07-13, 19:24
Rem 700 would be my recommendation.

GrandPooba
03-13-13, 18:34
I probably going to pick up a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223 soon.

Any issues with shooting 5.56mm NATO in it? Also, any experience with extended magazine floorplates or detachable magazine mods? Or are those best left off due to reliability issues?

jamesbern
03-13-13, 19:33
If I had to say, i'd say the Remington 700 with the Savage a close second. I love my 700. It is the only bolt action i've owned (had three of them).

Gem1950
03-13-13, 19:38
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt109/draper1950/Rem700007.jpg

I probably going to pick up a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223 soon.

Any issues with shooting 5.56mm NATO in it? Also, any experience with extended magazine floorplates or detachable magazine mods? Or are those best left off due to reliability issues?

No issues yet that I have experienced.

munch520
03-13-13, 20:44
http://scoutsupplycompany.com/rifle-packages/

Kain
03-13-13, 21:13
If the Patrol rifle weighed a lb and a half less, that would be interesting.

I would take a pound less and a 1/7 twist or a 1/8 twist. Would be a neat little rifle then in my opinion. Wonder if there is plans on doing a .308 like that? Would give Ruger a run for their money.

airman
03-26-13, 01:53
It is already out in 308 but you cant find one in 308 or 556 anywhere. I have been wanting one of the 556 mvp patrols and cant find one and dealers dont know when they will be available.