PDA

View Full Version : Forum ideas....

SAW_5.56
06-07-06, 14:55
Since this site has a great who's who list of AR products, I was wondering if a forum for hyping some of their upcoming products might fly. Something less formal than industry news press releases, something to generate some hype or buzz for mfg.s upcoming products. Thoughts?

M4arc
06-07-06, 15:07
The dealers and manufactures have their own forums as well, is that what you mean?

I have a feeling that any new and exciting products will receive plenty of buzz in the appropriate technical forum :)

STAFF
06-07-06, 15:09
Since this site has a great who's who list of AR products, I was wondering if a forum for hyping some of their upcoming products might fly. Something less formal than industry news press releases, something to generate some hype or buzz for mfg.s upcoming products. Thoughts?

Thank you for your input. The companies that sponsor M4Carbine.net are encouraged to showcase new products and ideas anywhere on the forum they want.

SAW_5.56
06-07-06, 15:38
The dealers and manufactures have their own forums as well, is that what you mean?

I have a feeling that any new and exciting products will receive plenty of buzz in the appropriate technical forum :)

I was thinking more along the lines of a forum like an Industry Insider(if you've read American Handgunner). New products, maybe some gossip, maybe even feedback for new ideas. Instead of searching thru various forums it would be centrally located. Am I 'splainin' myself better? ;)

TigerStripe
06-07-06, 23:02
If people in the industry would ask opinions about what the M4 community wanted before they went ahead and built something, they could get a product that the consumer wants the first time. Larry at CProducts does this and gets good feedback at what people want.

TS

olds442tyguy
06-08-06, 20:38
The only thing I'd like to see added thus far is a shotgun forum.

Cyclic240B
06-09-06, 12:51

Yep', have to agree there.

Kisara
06-09-06, 15:23
I'd like to see a LOG OFF button at the top of the screen, as opposed to (or in addition to) the one at the bottom of each screen.

Saint
06-09-06, 16:05
Another vote for the shotgun section.

Boomer10
06-09-06, 16:56
Yet another vote for adding a shotgun section.

imported_C4IGrant
06-09-06, 17:03
I'd like to see a LOG OFF button at the top of the screen, as opposed to (or in addition to) the one at the bottom of each screen.

Why would you ever log off??? :D

C4

Kisara
06-09-06, 22:13
Although the brass frowns upon it, there is an unofficial tradition at work that when a terminal is found logged-on and unattended, you send a mass email to the entire facility. Since you know you that someone else will be listed as the sender, the email content is usually quite embarrassing. Needless to say, I've never seen someone make the same mistake twice about walking away without locking or signing off...

Hi, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Grant, and I have just transferred in from VA. In case you don't know, I was the Vice President of the VA Pink Flamingo Collector's Club. I also collect pink Beanie Babies. Don't get me wrong- I can outperform (enter job description here) any of you old timers who have been here awhile. So, I am challenging all of you who think you're hot XXXX to a contest to see who can (job related tasks) better than I can. They told me before came here that everyone working here at (Current location of assignment) were a bunch of kiss-ass lazy slaps, and so far it looks like they were correct. Especially the supervisors here. Where I came from, we...

Well, you get the picture.

Stickman
06-10-06, 11:35
Usually the replies from the logged in terminal will be enough to get someone kicked off a board, and while I don't post from work, I can see where this would be pretty important if I did.

bigbore
06-10-06, 11:40
Get rid of the General Discussion forum, keep this place on the topic of ARs:D

Boom
06-10-06, 12:11
Guys all good suggestions. Well talk it over and see what we can come up with. A shotgun forum needs to be added and I think a log off button at the top would be helpful.

Please keep them coming.

baffle Stack
06-10-06, 15:14
A page like this,
http://10-8forums.com/moderators.htm
with info on all the industry professionals.

Saint
06-10-06, 16:34
How about small icons for G&R, Mooneys, and others. Like there is for Daniel Defense, DPMS, iShot.

The banners are nice, but I have to keep refreshing the page in order to find the one I am looking for.

An idea.

STAFF
06-10-06, 16:48
How about small icons for G&R, Mooneys, and others. Like there is for Daniel Defense, DPMS, iShot.

The banners are nice, but I have to keep refreshing the page in order to find the one I am looking for.

An idea.

The tabs are reserved for manufacturers only.

bigbore
06-10-06, 16:55
If the goal is a place to share info about the m4carbine, and keep above water, why not stick to topics only related to the M16/AR15 platform?

Get rid of the general discussion, forget the shotgun idea, dump the other assault rifles forum – we already have, hkpro, falfiles, etc, dump the handgun forum –1911forum, Glocktalk, Sigforum etc., already out there, and limit the precision rifle forum to the AR platform.

Just thoughts…..

STAFF
06-10-06, 17:11
If the goal is a place to share info about the m4carbine, and keep above water, why not stick to topics only related to the M16/AR15 platform?

Get rid of the general discussion, forget the shotgun idea, dump the other assault rifles forum – we already have, hkpro, falfiles, etc, dump the handgun forum –1911forum, Glocktalk, Sigforum etc., already out there, and limit the precision rifle forum to the AR platform.

Just thoughts…..

All forums that are dedicated to one weapon platform and nothing else is generally the kiss of death. People get bored discussing only one thing all the time and enjoy having the ability to discuss other weapon systems on one forum.
While this forum is dedicated to the M16/AR15, we also want to offer other venues so members don't have to go all over the internet to get quality information.

A GD that is heavily moderated and open to topics about current affairs is a good thing in our eyes.

bigbore
06-10-06, 17:42
I’m not being argumentative, just asking and thinking….

What do you mean by “kiss of death” ?? Is it a money issue? I’m sure enough people would pay to keep this site “alive”.

I think you’re way off about people getting bored about discussing one thing – the M4 Carbine, is not one thing, it’s a modular weapon system – with new configurations/options constantly being made available.

I think a streamlined, to the point information source would be best. There is no one place for members to go to get information. If someone has a specific interest in a different firearm, they are going to go to that forum. For example, I just bought an UZI. For information I went to UZItalk.com, and got all my questions answered in one place. I wouldn’t expect to find what I was looking for in the NFA forum here. People are going to go to the source specializing in their topic of concern.

We’ll just agree to disagree on the GD.

I wish you guys the best of luck here, and I’ll sit back and enjoy the ride.:)

Boom
06-10-06, 18:46

What do you mean by “kiss of death” ?? Is it a money issue? I’m sure enough people would pay to keep this site “alive”.

I think you’re way off about people getting bored about discussing one thing – the M4 Carbine, is not one thing, it’s a modular weapon system – with new configurations/options constantly being made available.

I think a streamlined, to the point information source would be best. There is no one place for members to go to get information. If someone has a specific interest in a different firearm, they are going to go to that forum. For example, I just bought an UZI. For information I went to UZItalk.com, and got all my questions answered in one place. I wouldn’t expect to find what I was looking for in the NFA forum here. People are going to go to the source specializing in their topic of concern.

In time I am sure most will come here to discuss the M4 platform. The data and info we will be collecting and posting will be very detailed. In regards to GD I enjoy the quality posts without the garbage mixed in. The Mods and staff will work hard to insure we retain a quality site for all to enjoy. Useless posts will be weeded out as they are posted. Example would be a post about your broken down car......Sorry that will not be allowed or how the guy down the street let his dog piss on your grass. Those type posts will be nothing but a waste and will not be allowed. This site will be heavily Moderated.

ETA: We will try to keep GD interesting with topics that everyone will enjoy. M4arc and Va Dinger are the Mods for GD so they will be the ones who really decide what stays and goes in GD.

olds442tyguy
06-10-06, 20:03
I just noticed a big problem....

The upper receiver reply window borders don't have tactical charging handle latches. :D

Sorry, it won't happen again. :cool:

I'd also like to see the marketplace be split up between firearm, and non firearm for sale posts. I'm pretty sure that can wait until the site gets a little bigger though.

baffle Stack
06-12-06, 00:24
A "show all" button would be cool.

STAFF
06-12-06, 08:06

Kiss of death is in reference to having a forum with 3 sections (AR Technical, AR pics and a Market Place). Members would become very bored very fast and not spend time on the site. The low traffic would then lead to the site sponsors leaving. If the site sponsors leave then the owners wouldn't have much interest in paying all the costs for servers & software.

If you notice in this thread alone, people are asking for more forums.

beltfed
06-12-06, 16:12
Gotta have a 1911 forum.:D