PDA

View Full Version : Question about putting a pig nose adapter in an ak

Lpcogan
01-31-13, 16:25
Hey I had an underfolder I converted to a side folder using an ace side folding adapter. When I did instead of cutting a grove in the trunnion I just ground adapter to fit flush.
The side folder is getting too wobbly and I'd just like a fixed stock, so I ordered the pig nose adapter today. Instead of grinding the adapter I'd like to do it right this time and machine a grove in the trunnion. Does anyone have experience with this and know what size this grove needs to be? Depth and width?

Bret
01-31-13, 18:25
Do you have two holes on either side of your receiver where the underfolder went? Sorry, I can't answer your question. I'm just trying to visualize this.

Lpcogan
01-31-13, 18:35
No I plugged them a long time ago. I did have 2 holes though. It actually looks ok.

Bret
01-31-13, 19:17
I was curious. Thanks for the pictures.

CPD15-5
03-02-13, 02:30
Wow, who makes that rail on your Underfolder? That is a Yugo right?

lunchbox
03-02-13, 02:57
Hey I had an underfolder I converted to a side folder using an ace side folding adapter. When I did instead of cutting a grove in the trunnion I just ground adapter to fit flush.
The side folder is getting too wobbly and I'd just like a fixed stock, so I ordered the pig nose adapter today. Instead of grinding the adapter I'd like to do it right this time and machine a grove in the trunnion. Does anyone have experience with this and know what size this grove needs to be? Depth and width?I just bought this same ace folder for SBR Draco build. Have not assembled (waitn on stamp), so am also really interested in this subject. Is this a common occurance? I read where most just grind divit down flush, but didnt remember anybody saying they had problems. Is there anybody out there with this setup with long term use, that could comment on this?

lunchbox
03-02-13, 03:04
Are the screws fully seated? Did you make sure that the holes were lined up perfectly when drilled/tapped? Hate to ask, just asking because if not properly seated(screws)in bottom of groove, maybe if were cocked out maybe was throwing out of wack...Just spitballin, am no way insulting your tool handin.

Lpcogan
03-02-13, 06:55
Wow, who makes that rail on your Underfolder? That is a Yugo right?

Texas Weapons Systems. And yes it's a yugo. And this is one of the dust cover rails that is actually solid, it's return to 0 is amazing. I love the rail. Look up Texas Weapons Systems 2nd generation Dog Leg Rail.

Lpcogan
03-02-13, 06:57
I just bought this same ace folder for SBR Draco build. Have not assembled (waitn on stamp), so am also really interested in this subject. Is this a common occurance? I read where most just grind divit down flush, but didnt remember anybody saying they had problems. Is there anybody out there with this setup with long term use, that could comment on this?

Well last time I grounded the divot down. This time I actually cut my trunnion to accept it. Because without the divot when you're trying to screw your stock down tight it can rotate the ace adapter. It's extremely robust now, I'm Very happy with the pig nose adapter!

Lpcogan
03-02-13, 07:38
Oh and the screw yes they were lined up and properly seated. The problem was comming from the play in the steel pin that works as a hinge to side fold the aluminum adapter. After a year of recoil and training it had wallowed out the aluminum casing more play. The pignose is stout though. I used # 10 screws instead of the #8 that's came with it. 8's seems very small. And in the future I'm thinking about even going to 12's.