PDA

View Full Version : Glock Night sights, other questions

WickedWillis
01-31-13, 18:00
I am looking at upgrading my two Glocks with night sights. They are both personal defense handguns, and I would like some sights that reflect that. Quick acquisition, good tritium. I have been looking at the XS Big dot sights, and the Ameriglo I-dot sights primarily. Also, does anyone know if you can buy just the Gen 4 Glock frames yet?

wesshipman
01-31-13, 20:42
I don't mind the factory night sights.

But I have also shot a friends Glock with Trijicon HD's. I prefer the Trijicon HD's over the factory night sights. But I don't have the funds to upgrade.

I would love to shoot a Glock with the XS Big Dot. I have heard good things but, never had the opportunity to actually use them.

4str
01-31-13, 20:50
At the LGS yesterday to do just that - order a gen 4 17 frame. They called Glock and were told no go on ordering just frames. So I ordered one on gunbroker since all online vendors I checked had not frames in stock.

Toyoland66
01-31-13, 21:15
Ameriglo Hackathorns are my default now for glock sights. They have everything you need and nothing you don't.

TurretGunner
01-31-13, 21:17
Strait 8's. I have used them, warrens, 10-8, Mepros ect.

Strait 8's are fast and very easy in the dark.

RD62
01-31-13, 22:04
I'll be picking up some Amerigo CAP orange front sights paired with Amerigo Pro Operator Rears for both my G19 and G17.

I proofed the concept during a recent IDPA using and old set of Glock factory night sights with the front sight face painted. Front sight acquisition was noticeably faster.

jp0319
02-01-13, 05:56
I dots, they are effectively like HDs but cheaper. I got some in a special edition 27 I bought with EXO coated slide and I dots. I really like them on Glocks very fast plus the ledge to rack the slide one handed

duece71
02-01-13, 06:02
Another vote for Heinie Straight eights (ledge).

Talon167
02-01-13, 07:11
Another vote for Heinie Straight eights (ledge).

This.

Serlo II
02-01-13, 07:38
I have run the Heinie straight eight and my night qualification score was perfect. I think the pattern of stacking one dot on top of the other is much better under stress and in low light. The Warren is also very good and comes in the same configuration. They are both excellent. I have standardized on the warren “straight eight” style pattern on my glocks. These are a bit faster for me.

I tried the XS big dot and while it is very visible, I had a hard time getting used to it and my scores declined.

Big A
02-01-13, 07:40
I am looking at upgrading my two Glocks with night sights. They are both personal defense handguns, and I would like some sights that reflect that. Quick acquisition, good tritium. I have been looking at the XS Big dot sights, and the Ameriglo I-dot sights primarily. Also, does anyone know if you can buy just the Gen 4 Glock frames yet?

I have the XS Big Dot 24/7's on my Glock 19 & 26 which are my 2 carry Glocks and I like them. They are very fast for sight aquisition and I think they improved my shooting during drills. I have a Glock 17 that I need to get night sights for and I am looking to try something differnt on it like the Novak's or Straight 8's I just haven't made up my mind yet.

If either of your guns are gonna be used primarily for home defense I would not put the Big Dot's on them. I would only put them on a gun that is a primary carry gun. I have a Glock 23 that is my home defense pistol and it has the 3 dot Glock factory night sights and I perfer a set up like that for home defense over the Big Dot's.

Voodoo_Man
02-01-13, 08:44
I have defoors on a 34, ameriglo pro I dots on a 19 and 17, run oem trijicon night sights on my duty 21 and oem plastic sights on a 26.

The trick is to figure out a sight, front or rear, that you willh content with. Try them all, figure out what you like and go frok there. Tastes change and people are more inclined to try cheaper sights than their more expensive counterparts, I would suggest you dont look at price but at the function.

Ironman8
02-01-13, 09:01
I can't recommend the Hackathorn sights enough. They're extremely fast and its like shooting with a red dot.

See post #3047 HERE (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=495&page=153) (and the next few posts) for a look at the Hack sights and what others had to say about them.

What I will say is that the sight acquisition is extremely fast, the front sight post is still skinny enough to shoot 4" groups (or better) at 25yds, and being that they have black rears means that your eyes can better focus on the front sight, especially at distance. I like the squared rear notch, as well as the ability to rack the slide off the rear notch for one hand manipulations.

Straight Shooter
02-01-13, 09:15
Ameriglo CAP sights. Orange. Best defense pistol sights Ive ever seen.

Nightstalker865
02-13-13, 22:56
Trijicon HD's.

gunnut284
02-14-13, 08:39
I've been satisfied with the factory night sights. I haven't used all of the various options but I hated the XS sights.

I don't think Glock offers frames (of any generation) separately but you may be able to find one on the secondary market. Maybe Glockmeister or Gunbroker. Might be cheaper to buy a Gen4 gun and sell the top half.

thei3ug
02-14-13, 09:11
Do some searching on the XS big dots. There's been a very wide and colorful range of opinions on them.
I've used them for three years on one defensive pistol. I've noticed no practical difference. They work. Any better? I can't tell.

HCM
02-14-13, 10:34
Not a fan of the XS sights.

1st choice: Heinie ledge - you can paint the front sight orange. Narrow front sight with the wider rear is quick to acquire but still allows for precision.

I also have 1 gun each with the Orange HD's and I-Dots. The HD's are fast but I prefer the I dots . YMMV

T2C
02-14-13, 10:48
Strait 8's. I have used them, warrens, 10-8, Mepros ect.

Strait 8's are fast and very easy in the dark.

This is a good recommendation. I prefer the Straight 8 sights over the 3 dot sights.

C4IGrant
02-14-13, 10:55

Pass on the XS big dots.

The Ameriglo I-Dot (PRO/Hackathorn) is a good choice and so are the Trijicon HD's.

We have both in stock if interested.

C4

Plumber237
02-14-13, 14:39
+1 for the Trijicon HD's, they're the best sights that I've used. Plus if you're teaching someone who hasn't shot alot of pistol it definately helps them focus on the front sight...

nobody knows
02-15-13, 17:24
Another one for the trijicon HD night sights. Iv had a set on my carry 19 for about two years. I love them the next set will be in yellow for my 26.

M_Rapp
02-15-13, 18:13
I have a set of Ameriglo Pro Operators (GL-235-OP) on order for my G20. I mostly carry the G20 in a Safariland thigh rig for on the wheeler (bears / hunting application) and the plastic front sight wore down after I did a practice session (drawing from holster with snap caps). I quickly decided metal sights were a must... Probably something I need to work on in terms of drawing and holster set up to be learned in all this as well....

The sights had good reviews and from what I could see of them I like the sight picture.

JEC75
02-16-13, 21:37
I have tried numerous sight setups and have settled on using Ameriglo Pro Glow orange front sights with 10-8 Performance .156 rear sights. Very fast and easy to get solid hits at 25 yards.

beschatten
02-17-13, 02:22
I run Trijicon HD's on my Glock 19 and Heine Straight 8's tritium on my 17. I actually prefer the Heine's for shooting beyond 15 yards and the Trijicon HD's for faster target acquisition. Tough call... I love both but I do recommend either of these. I only wished for the Trijicon HD's they did something different for the front dot.. In the dark they're just regular tritium sights.

Devildawg2531
02-17-13, 14:35
I highlu recommend the AmeriGlo Hackathorn and the AmeriGlo CAP nnight sights. Both are very well constructed, bright and I use them on my Glock's for HD, IDPA and carry. Both can be bought new for about $70 for front and rear sights.

Jim D
02-17-13, 15:08
I highlu recommend the AmeriGlo Hackathorn and the AmeriGlo CAP nnight sights. Both are very well constructed, bright and I use them on my Glock's for HD, IDPA and carry. Both can be bought new for about $70 for front and rear sights.

Ditto that, I'm carrying the CAP's now on my 17 and loving them.

Sooie
02-18-13, 00:16
If I saw a pair of big dots I'd snatch them up!!

I have a big dot on my 870, love it. I can only imagine them on a glock!

Bodhi
02-18-13, 02:13
If I saw a pair of big dots I'd snatch them up!!

I have a big dot on my 870, love it. I can only imagine them on a glock!

I'm swapping my big dots out for some glock night sights in a few days. The big dots weren't effective (for me.)

LMT Shooter
02-18-13, 04:58
I've used Trijicon & Meprolight 3 dots night sights, they were OK but I never warmed up to 3 dot configurations. Switched to XS Big Dots on my SIG's a few years ago. It took a while to get used to them, I kept "floating" the dot too high at first. I feel like they are faster to aquire & I can see them in recoil a LOT better than 3 dot sights, so overall I feel like I am faster, although I do not use a timer very often at all because I focus on accuracy & figure the speed will follow. I think I may have lost a very, very little in accuracy, but not enough to offset the ease of aquisition. Love the XS Big Dots, but they may not be for everybody.

Nephrology
02-18-13, 07:28
I will be another voice to recommend the Ameriglo Hackathorns. All of my glocks are set up with the Hackathorn front sight post and a flat black rear. Very fast sight pictures. the CAP by Ameriglo looks good too but I have not used them.

Maineshooter
02-18-13, 14:11
I don't mind the factory night sights.

But I have also shot a friends Glock with Trijicon HD's. I prefer the Trijicon HD's over the factory night sights. But I don't have the funds to upgrade.

I'll second that. I have the factory night sights on one glock. They work and are rugged. I do prefer the Trijicons also. Never tried the Heine sights but I have heard good things about them also.