PDA

View Full Version : New Marine Corps Build

Spartan USMC
01-31-13, 20:53
Thanks to the generosity of the Marines for giving me a reenlistment bonus, I was able to finally afford a nice AR. Finding everything I wanted in a built upper from BCM, I chose to build only the lower myself.

I wanted something unique, so I started my build with a US Marines lower from JD Machine Tech (I was pleasantly surprised by the quality). I had the LPK Cerakoted in Magpul FDE to match some of the other furniture and did a color fill on the lower (that was a HUGE pain btw).

Here's the result, let me know what you think!

Parts List:
Upper- BCM 14.5" barrel with pinned Surefire MB556K
Centurion arms 12" quad rail with Magpul rail covers
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
BCM BCG
EOTech 553
Troy Folding Battlesights (front and rear)
Magpul AFG

Lower- JD Machine Tech USMC lower
Magpul BAD lever
CMMG lower parts kit
Magpul MOE+ grip
Magpul CTR stock (mil-spec)
Troy QD end plate
KNS anti-rotation pins
Geissele Super 3 gun trigger
Sprinco Blue CS spring
Spikes ST-T2 buffer

-Semper Fi-

el_chingoton13
01-31-13, 20:59
Fantastic build, looks great!

MontePR
01-31-13, 21:18
Very nice indeed

LonghunterCO
01-31-13, 21:28
Nice. Thank you for your service.

Spartan USMC
01-31-13, 21:39
Thanks guys! And thanks for the support Longhunter.

SS1304
01-31-13, 21:52
Nice build. That will be my next color combo.

Why did you have problems with the color fill? I have done a few of mine and they have all went pretty smooth.

bigbang
01-31-13, 22:18
Nice stick dude. Semper Fi.

kyrin88
01-31-13, 22:46
Very nice!! What light are you going to run on it?

Spartan USMC
01-31-13, 22:54
Haven't decided on a light yet. Any good recommendations? As for the color fill, the syringe I originally intended to use was too big, and I ended up using toothpicks instead. No big problems, just a little messier and took a little longer.

snowdog650
01-31-13, 23:47
Great build, Marine.

However ... Geissele explicity states that KNS pins are NOT recommended for use with their triggers.

Perhaps others can weigh in ... but I did not go the KNS route with my Geissele based on other members' postings on this site.

Spartan USMC
02-01-13, 00:41
Huh. Just searched that, thanks for the heads up! I guess I'll be switching those out ASAP.

theblackknight
02-01-13, 07:11
You got a reup bonus as a 11 in 2012? Impressive! That stuff was drying up

sent from mah gun,using my sights

kyrin88
02-01-13, 07:55
Haven't decided on a light yet. Any good recommendations?

I would go with the scout mini in tan or an m952v for long-gun WL's. If you want a lighter WL then Ill go with the surefire x300 ultra or a TLR-1 at the 12 o'clock position and place the troy front sight behind it.

Littlelebowski
02-01-13, 07:59
That brake will make people hate you.

TehLlama
02-01-13, 10:49
Eventually you'll want to replace the KNS pins (run the Geisselle pins in there, sell the kNS off), and if there are any cycling malfunctions, the ST-2 buffer should be among the early suspects.

Save the rest of the bonus - same advice I'm always giving to me friends that are still in, but don't blow a chance to get and stay financially ahead.

Spartan USMC
02-01-13, 12:47
Haha. That's why I said they were generous. It was only $10K, but hey, in 2012 as an 11, I'll take that.

And thanks for the advice TehLlama. The spikes buffer is really just an experiment to see if I can get a softer shooting rifle out of it. If not, I've got an H2 as a backup.

Littlelebowski, I shoot most of the time on my friend's private range, so no worries there :D. Eventually though I want to get a Surefire can for it... as soon as I can convince the wife I need another one ;).

The_Hammer_Man
02-01-13, 15:24
Nicely done.. very clean build. Kudos :)

I should do a USN HM(fmf) commemorative build some time. Figure I'll have to put a side saddle on the stock for bandaids :)

Guns-up.50
02-01-13, 16:35
You got a reup bonus as a 11 in 2012? Impressive! That stuff was drying up

sent from mah gun,using my sights

I got offered a fat bonus in 08 as a 0331. still kicking my own ass for passing that one up...

OP I want that lower ......

semper fi

Blayglock
02-01-13, 17:11
Thank you for your service and nice build.

Caduceus
02-01-13, 18:38
Nicely done.. very clean build. Kudos :)

I should do a USN HM(fmf) commemorative build some time. Figure I'll have to put a side saddle on the stock for bandaids :)

And Vitamin M ;)

MoCop
02-01-13, 20:42
Nice rifle and thank you for your service!!

TehLlama
02-02-13, 14:36
Haha. That's why I said they were generous. It was only $10K, but hey, in 2012 as an 11, I'll take that.

I with I had gone a year sooner or a year later - the 70k bonuses in my field, and a year later the 25k sign-on bonuses were stupid. I decided that was horseshit, and managed to leave with more than those two combined in savings from a five year stint.

Freelance
02-05-13, 14:39
Congratz and thanks for your service. Let us know how it shoots :)

Texasflyboy
02-05-13, 15:11
Love the Surefire MB on yours. I have the SOCOM M556-RCX (http://www.surefire.com/socom556-rc.html) and the corresponding SFMB-556 MB (http://www.surefire.com/sfmb-556-1-2-28.html) on my 14.5" barrel.

Love that setup.

glocktogo
02-05-13, 16:43
Nice looking build!

I have one of the JD Machine USMC lowers set aside for a build and they are nice. Mine is going in a one off "over the moon" custom build. I hand picked an upper that fits up snugly. I'll be using a 6.8SPC Bison Armory 18" recon barrel with a tapered PRI Quiet Comp. I'm going to have the lower, upper, 13.5" Noveske NSR handguard and Vltor A5 reciever extension done in burnt bronze Cerakote and everything else in black. I plan to have the right side of the magwell engraved with the U.S. flag by Ident Marking and all markings color filled in black. I plan to top it off with Troy BUIS and a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP Riflescope in a LaRue mount.

Can't wait to finish mine! :)

rstang99
02-07-13, 09:31
How are you liking the JD Machine lower? I wanted to build around their USAF stamped lower but couldn't get one. I have an email into them for lead time with no response as of yet. For now I have a Spikes lower on my build.

SWThomas
02-07-13, 13:48
Great looking rifle there Devil! I'm planning to build something similar. I really like that lower.

Quentin
02-08-13, 00:41
Very nice rifle! I also am impressed with my JD Machine Tech stripped lower (actually from a batch they did with the Valkyrie Arms rollmark). Nice finish and a flared magwell.

I didn't know they had a USMC rollmark, that was a nice find! Quentin Defense has billet lowers done in editions for all five branches of the service and I got their US Army edition which is very well done. I know you'll always be proud of YOUR rifle! Be safe, I hope this new hitch goes well for you.

Gunzilla
02-12-13, 18:13
Nice build. I too left the KNS pins off when I installed my SSA trigger group, no issues so far.

As for the ST2 buffer, don't worry about it, I've had zero issues using them in 2 different rifles. If everything else is 'spec' you should be OK with that buffer. Whether one weight buffer works better than a ST2 will depend on ammo used and a few other variables....and unless you're doing a lot of full auto firing you should never have an issue.

Atlshaun
02-12-13, 22:02
Nice rifle and thank you for your service.

I have one very similar, colors and all. Love it.

R0N
02-13-13, 04:03

And thanks for the advice TehLlama. The spikes buffer is really just an experiment to see if I can get a softer shooting rifle out of it. If not, I've got an H2 as a backup.

Littlelebowski, I shoot most of the time on my friend's private range, so no worries there :D. Eventually though I want to get a Surefire can for it... as soon as I can convince the wife I need another one ;).

11s got an enlistment bonus in 12?

DiabhailGadhar
02-13-13, 12:54
Semper Fi!

OP, I have a st-t2 in my build and I'm thinking of scrapping it or selling cheap to one of my guys here. eveidentaly there was some review done with those that they cause carrier bounce. I found the info on youtube and on here. it was vuurwapens blog (that spelling is way off for the record) I'm going to look into it more and maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been recommended to run that same springco blue and a BCM H2 buffer for the best results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=575Q0O41u5s

The_Hammer_Man
02-13-13, 13:43
And Vitamin M ;)

Vitamin M? New one on me.. but then I got out in '82.

DiabhailGadhar
02-13-13, 21:44

Must be ground side...winger4life..lol.

fletchman
02-17-13, 19:54

I put the spikes buffer in my AA middy when she wasn't cycling and problems solved plus it did soften it up a great deal. Thanks for the advice on this forum I now know I have to replace the bufer with a lite one when shooting wolf. Ammo hard to get so I take what I can Find.
Great build and Thank you for your service Spartan USMC

Tortuga
02-17-13, 20:10

800mg Motrin, usually used when "take and knee and hydrate" just isn't enough.

OP, nice stick. Good to see a 0311 get some love and put it to good use.

BH321
02-17-13, 20:43

There are reasons that you shouldn't take painkillers when you are on duty. Pain is a warning that you are doing something wrong (overworking muscles, carrying too much weight, just tripped and rolled down a hill with 68 pounds of gear in my ruck...) and while I have nothing against taking it while you are back in the barracks after a hard day, it is a generally bad idea to take it when in the field. Take a knee, hydrate, and suck it up.

DiabhailGadhar
02-18-13, 00:26
Our Doc swapped us to daypro or something like that ask for it, it actually works...

Jolly Roger
02-24-13, 11:27
Thanks for your service man. And nice looking stick.

cop1211
02-24-13, 20:15

We called it "Grunt Candy" when I was in 89-93.
2531 F.R.O.
Grunt with a battery shoved up my ass.

RB-S13
03-07-13, 18:29
That brake will make people hate you.

I let my buddy shoot one of my sticks with a Surefire brake with me standing beside him. My first thought was damn I'm a douche.

Nice rifle Spartan.