PDA

View Full Version : Strange letter from LA County....

rojocorsa
02-01-13, 02:12
Some guy on Calguns posted this letter which certainly doesn't look like something one sees every day.

Even if its some gun safety campaign, it doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/hiyabrad/LETTERFROMLACITYATTORNEY_zps4fbb0ef8.jpg

Iraqgunz
02-01-13, 02:17
I don't think it's strange at all and is totally in line with everything else in California. Were I him I would have called that number at the bottom and simply asked, wtf?

rojocorsa
02-01-13, 02:34
I personally think that maybe its a little too much, even by CA standards.

Dude went out of his way to post this and there were several surprised reactions in the thread.

After digging around in that thread, I found this link.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/la-gun-owners_n_2345364.html

So this is some new local program. Learn something new, I suppose. All I can tell you is that LA county is relatively on the more strict side of gun regs in this state.

Iraqgunz
02-01-13, 03:32
I know first hand having been born in LA county and living there for many years until I escaped.

I personally think that maybe its a little too much, even by CA standards.

Dude went out of his way to post this and there were several surprised reactions in the thread.

After digging around in that thread, I found this link.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/la-gun-owners_n_2345364.html

So this is some new local program. Learn something new, I suppose. All I can tell you is that LA county is relatively on the more strict side of gun regs in this state.

NoveskeFan
02-01-13, 05:05
"Records show that you have recently purchased a firearm"
That sentence kinda tied my stomach in a knot. Can I ask how recently?

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-01-13, 07:23
So every sale in CA has to go thru an FFL? I hadn't heard of of this DROS before. What if you sell it to a person out of state and send it to an FFL that doesn't require an FFL-FFL transfer?

RHINOWSO
02-01-13, 07:35
You lost me at Kalifornia.... :rolleyes:

They want all firearms registered and anything in state has to go FFL-FFL, even private party sales. Not sure about selling out of state, if they can ship directly to the receiving FFL or have to go through a local FFL for shipping.

Not like I really care what goes on in CA either... They are the liberal poster child state, nearly bankrupt ($$$, morals, and legislation), and crime ridden.

jpmuscle
02-01-13, 10:55
No that doesn't come across as intimidating at all... Perhaps a better waste of toner would have have to send form letters to all of the gangbangers locked away in all of California's fine correctional facilities and reminding them to think of the children when engaging in violent criminal behavior.

8200rpm
02-01-13, 11:11
So every sale in CA has to go thru an FFL? I hadn't heard of of this DROS before. What if you sell it to a person out of state and send it to an FFL that doesn't require an FFL-FFL transfer?

Currently, every firearm purchased or transfered to a resident within the state must go through an FFL (infrequent sale of long guns over 50 years old is currently exempt until 2014). Private party transfers are conducted at an FFL: a DROS (dealer record of sale) is processed through CA DOJ, CA DOJ runs the background check, and the 10-day cooling off (homicidal intentions) period ensues. FFL's are required by law to perform private party transfers and charge no more than $10 in addition to the $25 state DROS fee. This is to facilitate PPT's through "the system" and discourage people from bypassing the system due to exorbitant dealer fees. Dealers not complying with this will have their license revoked.

All handgun sales in CA are "registered" de facto since the DROS form documents serial numbers of handguns and are maintained by the CA DOJ. Long gun serial numbers are currently not recorded on the DROS form and destroyed "after" the background check is completed. These laws will change in 2014 require DROS documentation of long gun serial numbers and prohibit cash-carry exemption for long guns over 50 years old.

If a CA resident sells a firearm to a person outside CA, individuals can ship directly in accordance to Fed/ATF regs as long as the receiving FFL is willing to accept firearms directly from an individual.

LEO in CA run a serial number on a handgun to determine the registered owner. Handguns purchased before the DROS system went into effect are not in the CA system and can only be "traced" via 4473. New residents moving into CA are required to register their handguns with the DOJ within 60 days.

CA also has a "Safe Handgun Roster". Handguns approved by the state for sale must have a mag disconnect, LCI, and external safety, and pass a state-approved lab certified drop test. LEO are exempt from this roster, they can essentially purchase "unsafe" handguns that will blow their hands/faces off.

There's also been a 10 round mag limit and an AWB with a 1 feature test since 2000. Grandfathering AW, required registration.

SomeOtherGuy
02-01-13, 13:30
I saw a virtually identical letter posted on a different forum a couple years ago. It's creepy, but like Iraqgunz said, just seems in line with the rest of life in Kalifornia.

CarlosDJackal
02-01-13, 14:09
So every sale in CA has to go thru an FFL?...

FWIW, in MD it has to go through the State Police. Even if it is a transfer between related individuals who live in the same residence (ask me how I know). It is one of the reasons I left that dumboKratic state.

Outrider
02-01-13, 15:34
So every sale in CA has to go thru an FFL?

No, there are a few exceptions but even those are supposed to generate a record of the transfer. One that comes to mind is a firearm transfer between immediate family members. In CA, members of the immediate family (i.e. spouses, parents, children, and siblings) can gift each other firearms. The local FFL dealers do not handle the transfer between immediate family members. There is a form that has to be filled out and submitted to the state. I don't remember how much the processing fee is to register the firearm.

rojocorsa
02-01-13, 16:16
No, there are a few exceptions but even those are supposed to generate a record of the transfer. One that comes to mind is a firearm transfer between immediate family members. In CA, members of the immediate family (i.e. spouses, parents, children, and siblings) can gift each other firearms. The local FFL dealers do not handle the transfer between immediate family members. There is a form that has to be filled out and submitted to the state. I don't remember how much the processing fee is to register the firearm.

There is a still a form you fill out and send to CA DOJ for intra-familial x-fers. Oh, and a $19 fee too.