PDA

View Full Version : SHTF Carry options

cotton617
02-01-13, 10:58
Situation is SHTF, you are armed with an AR15 and wearing a chest rig. Looking for best method to carry my G19. OWB such as Phantom? Drop leg? My chest rig really would not conflict with a draw from the hip, but what is superior in comfort, retention, etc? OWB vs. Drop leg?

jck397
02-01-13, 12:01
Delete

Dave L.
02-01-13, 12:25
Situation is SHTF, you are armed with an AR15 and wearing a chest rig....

This thread wont last long...

The real answer is: It doesn't matter what type of holster you have because someone is going to notice you and your gear and snipe your ass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY

eightmillimeter
02-01-13, 12:47

The real answer is: It doesn't matter what type of holster you have because someone is going to notice you and your gear and snipe your ass.

Have not seen that video yet. If the voices were not digitized I would have laughed even more.

Koshinn
02-01-13, 13:18

Yeah, we don't need more than 5 rd mags!

Kafir
02-01-13, 13:33

Outstanding! One of the better ones...

legumeofterror
02-01-13, 13:36
Situation is SHTF, you are armed with an AR15 and wearing a chest rig. Looking for best method to carry my G19. OWB such as Phantom? Drop leg? My chest rig really would not conflict with a draw from the hip, but what is superior in comfort, retention, etc? OWB vs. Drop leg?

Don't worry about it. Folks like you will be dead before any of that matters.

Voodoo_Man
02-01-13, 13:47
Thats a funny video.

In SHTF there is no defualt answer because everyone has different situations. Do what you think is best and what your training has taught you.

jonconsiglio
02-01-13, 13:51
I hate these threads. People think there will be a break down and they'll be walking the streets in their carriers and ARs.

Normally I wouldn't post, but people actually believe this stuff. Carry your handgun as you normally would. I like a Raven outside the waistband.

Then, if you really want to wear a plate carrier, strip it and wear it under something. Throw a rifle mag on your belt and the rest in a backpack.

You will not be patrolling the streets with your rifle. Keep it out of sight. If I saw some dude walking down my street that wasn't mil or LE in a plate carrier and rifle, I'd probably light him up (from a distance) thinking he's some nut taking advantage of a bad situation.

It just doesn't work that way in real life. I'm not trying to be a dick, I just hate this fantasy shit.

EDIT - Drop legs exist so they can clear your carrier and the gear on it like your radio. If you run it slick on the side, there's no need for a drop. Drop it only as far as needed.

Out of curiosity, what type of training do you have? This shit isn't as simple as just carrying a rifle around. Fighting in a 360 degree environment isn't the same as standing at your local static range. I would strongly suggest you make no changes to your carry set up if you don't have the training to know exactly what works for you, what doesn't and why it does or doesn't.

I looked at some of your other posts, and you've asked some very basic questions. My guess is this should be at the bottom of your list of priorities. Leave this shit to the kids at AR15.com. Learn how to fight and this shit will work itself out.

jmnielsen
02-01-13, 13:55
Personally, I would carry IWB or another form of concealed carrying. I wouldn't want to stand out by advertising what gear I have.

Big A
02-01-13, 16:48

Stop watching Doomsday Preppers....

Five_Point_Five_Six
02-01-13, 17:37
I hate these threads. People think there will be a break down and they'll be walking the streets in their carriers and ARs.

Normally I wouldn't post, but people actually believe this stuff. Carry your handgun as you normally would. I like a Raven outside the waistband.

Then, if you really want to wear a plate carrier, strip it and wear it under something. Throw a rifle mag on your belt and the rest in a backpack.

You will not be patrolling the streets with your rifle. Keep it out of sight. If I saw some dude walking down my street that wasn't mil or LE in a plate carrier and rifle, I'd probably light him up (from a distance) thinking he's some nut taking advantage of a bad situation.

It just doesn't work that way in real life. I'm not trying to be a dick, I just hate this fantasy shit.

EDIT - Drop legs exist so they can clear your carrier and the gear on it like your radio. If you run it slick on the side, there's no need for a drop. Drop it only as far as needed.

Out of curiosity, what type of training do you have? This shit isn't as simple as just carrying a rifle around. Fighting in a 360 degree environment isn't the same as standing at your local static range. I would strongly suggest you make no changes to your carry set up if you don't have the training to know exactly what works for you, what doesn't and why it does or doesn't.

I looked at some of your other posts, and you've asked some very basic questions. My guess is this should be at the bottom of your list of priorities. Leave this shit to the kids at AR15.com. Learn how to fight and this shit will work itself out.

jonconsiglio wins the thread.

duece71
02-01-13, 19:33
That video is some funny shit. I think JonC hit it on the head. The last thing I would do if SHTF is walk around with an AR. Low key would be my mantra and I would definately be using my Phantom with the IWB loops. I would let everyone else who wants to pound their chest and measure their cocks fight it out. No point in getting wasted for nothing.

El Pistolero
02-01-13, 20:33
Why isn't this locked yet? :rolleyes:

Magic_Salad0892
02-01-13, 20:35

Good reply, Jon.

gun71530
02-01-13, 20:57

Excellent post, spot on.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Dave L.
02-02-13, 05:16

Agree with jon, except that I believe the lack of being a dick is why these people keep showing up and pissing in the well.

This amateur hour horse shit has to stop before it spreads. Anyone who gratifies discussions like this with a serious response is just a guilty.

Chameleox
02-02-13, 05:48
Why isn't this locked yet? :rolleyes:

Hopefully its because the mods are debating whether to sticky Jon C.'s post in "Training and Tactics", or "Tactical Gear", or both.

indawire
02-02-13, 09:51
It's not locked yet cause it's funny.:haha: The question could not have been serious in the first place.

Beat Trash
02-02-13, 10:16
Personally every single time I've had to put an armed suspect at gunpoint, I kind of felt that it was a SHTF situation...

But that's just me.

To the OP, during a "SHTF" incident, such as... oh say NOLA after Katrina... and you're not on-duty LEO, I'd conceal the gun.

Not being view as a threat and a target by the good guys as well as the bad guys would be a good thing.

My personal goal during this type of incident is to be the guy no body notices are cares to give a second look to.

The best way to win an armed encounter is to avoid one in the first place.

So to answer the question in a somewhat serious manner, I'c carry the Glock 19 in the same manner that I'd carry it when it's not a SHTF situation.

tanktop
02-02-13, 10:57
I was browsing gunbroker last night and saw an M60 for a mere $85,000! You should buy that, a couple belts of ammo and just walk down the middle of the street like Rambo! Forget about your pussy 1911, get some explosive tipped arrows so you can blow up a Tank if you need to.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Phillygunguy
02-02-13, 20:20
Asking questions like this is what anti's feed on :nono:

TriviaMonster
02-02-13, 21:49
So to continue the important part of this thread, that video made me laugh pretty hard, "it's cordless". Too much.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SteveS
02-02-13, 21:54
After reading the how the hide the guns if there is a ban posts. Most will not need guns anyway.

thehun
02-02-13, 22:38

NOW THAT IS AWESOME

Mac5.56
02-02-13, 23:07
This is thread is why Anti-gunners hate us.

Seriously. They quote shit like this, and put it before congress.

they
02-02-13, 23:10
His question is valid.

True SHTF... carry whatever and however you want...

tanktop
02-02-13, 23:48
Okay, serious reply, dress like a ninja! No, not a Hollywood ninja, a real one. If SHTF try your best to blend in, perhaps try to look a little desperate and needy but also look harmless. You don't want to get killed for what you may have or for being a possible threat.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

RagweedZulu
02-03-13, 23:52
Plan to be the Gray Man. Blend in, don't show your gear or let others know what you have stashed at your home or camp. The element of surprise when dealing with bad guys doesn't change after a "collapse". If anything, it's MORE important since cops won't be around and thugs will take what they want from you if you carry it around exposed like a one-man walking Turkish Bazaar.

JSantoro
02-04-13, 07:21
His question is valid.

...for the Tactical Gear subforum, where he's got stickied threads filled with photos and descriptions to look through.

Specifically the "First Line Belts" and "Loadout" threads.