PDA

View Full Version : Any reason NOT to go with 9" rail vs 12" on DD M4V5?

Hapworth
02-01-13, 12:05
Slight loss in sight radius; negligible loss in real estate for add-ons...all I can think of.

Thoughts?

wahoo95
02-01-13, 12:08
The reasons mentioned and personal preference. Why go shorter?

Hapworth
02-01-13, 12:15
The reasons mentioned and personal preference. Why go shorter?A little lighter, a little more center balanced. I can live with the drawbacks mentioned; wondered if there might be more. I also vaguely recall reading that a 9" rail might not adequately cover the gas tube in a mid-length...

Col_Crocs
02-01-13, 12:28
I also vaguely recall reading that a 9" rail might not adequately cover the gas tube in a mid-length...
It wont, at all. 9" rails were designed to work with midlength fixed FSBs. Not even a 10 will fully cover the gasblock.

Hapworth
02-01-13, 12:32
It wont, at all. 9" rails were designed to work with midlength fixed FSBs. Not even a 10 will fully cover the gasblock.Leaving the gasblock otherwise unprotected, yes?

Guns-up.50
02-01-13, 12:35
You can always come back on your rail with the extra length but if its too short you are out of options... I went from a 7 to 12 and never looked back

The_Hammer_Man
02-01-13, 13:05
11" is considered almost an industry standard for mid length low pro gas setup.

Obviously is you have an A2 FSB you'll need a 9" or one of the cut out ones like this:

http://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SM&Product_Code=Evolution-9EX&Category_Code=AR-15_Rail_Systems

FYI I've used these on patrol rifle conversions and they rock.

T-Dot
02-01-13, 15:51
I was in that exact predicament a while ago, starting with a 12'' Vltor VIS and thinking to myself "man, this thing is front heavy" (the kx3 probably didn't help). Also, I just didn't need that much rail.

With my second upper, I went with the CASV-M. I actually have an exposed low profile gas block, which hasn't been a problem at all (I think it would take an aweful lot of torque to do any harm).

For what it's worth, I really prefer the difference in weight distribution and, like I said, the gas block's no problem for me. Since I have short arms, I don't have any issues with over-reaching either. I'm keeping the other upper for if/when it makes sense to have that much rail, maybe for another build, but yeah, it worked for me.

TehLlama
02-02-13, 13:18
If you're mounting a weaponlight and iron sights to the rail, and are taller than 5', you will most likely find yourself wanting more than the 9" of real estate at some point - even if not, the 12" OmegaX rail is a very light handguard. As far as balance - a V5 with the footlong rail will still balance in the magwell with an MOE or CTR stock, and it's even farther back with a SOPMOD, ACS, ACS-L, IMOD or EMOD stock. Adding a 3V weapon light and irons won't affect that much either - for the weight you would save losing 3" of rail, you can run a smaller weapon light and have the same handling characteristics weight distribution wise, but have a more capable carbine.

gun71530
02-02-13, 13:34
I would never take a 9 inch rail over a 12. In my opinion a 12 inch rail is perfection.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

RearwardAssist
02-02-13, 13:46
I like to get out farther with my hand to grip it being a pretty big guy. Going with the 12" My hand feels perfect just shy of it being all the way out like around the 11 1/2" area so I like it.

Zane1844
02-02-13, 15:00
I have a 12" DD Lite Rail, and I really like it. For my next upper, either a replacement for the one I have already, or for a new carbine, I want A 9" rail with a Front site.

Though I do like extending my arm while shooting.

Badger89
02-02-13, 17:48
With my second upper, I went with the CASV-M. I actually have an exposed low profile gas block, which hasn't been a problem at all (I think it would take an aweful lot of torque to do any harm).

I agree. Noveske sells their SS barreled rifles and uppers with their Switchblock exposed in front of a 9" rail. The versions with the chrome lined barrels are only offered with a 11.5" with a FSB cut out for the Switchblock. I've been debating, why would Noveske offer a rifle with an exposed gas block (in this case the switchblock) if it was so fragile it needed to be "protected" by a rail? Just curious... seems like covering the gas block is more of a side effect of wanting more rail space than an attempt to protect the gas block from... from what? There have been lots of rifles produces with exposed gas blocks. Heck, rifles with a fixed front sight have an exposed "gas block" if you want to get technical, and a longer leverage arm via the sight to apply torque to damage them. Can anyone shed some light as to why it is suddenly necessary to cover the gas block? If you need more rail space, fine, obviously you'll need to cover it with the longer rail. But if you don't need more rail space, why does the gas block need to be covered?

T-Dot
02-02-13, 18:30
I wouldn't go as far as to say that it wouldn't be preferable to cover the gas block, especially with some gas blocks possibly being less sturdy than others. Good point about the fixed front sight posts, though I would say that they do tend to be double pinned (right?) and therefor could be well more secured than the single-pinned low profile gas blocks.

I'm 5'8'' and my arms only hit about midway to the CASV-M, though I do use a pretty square stance, and like I said, have pretty short arms (hypo-extended elbows).

Someone mentioned weapon lights, and I'll have to agree there: the further forward they are, the less shadow you're going to cast, so I'll concede on that point. I'm not terribly worried about the shorter sight radius, personally. I can see that being another thing, though.

To the OP: I guess it just depends on your endstate. I was looking for something simple, light, but versitile. The CASV was all I needed for that. If you need something with more real estate or need the reach, or both, there's a longer rail out there that will suite your needs. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Col_Crocs
02-02-13, 18:46
Leaving the gasblock otherwise unprotected, yes?

Yes, correct. Not an issue if it's pinned though.

samuse
02-02-13, 23:11
I would never take a 9 inch rail over a 12. In my opinion a 12 inch rail is perfection.

Hell yes. Put an X300 with a Daniel Defense front sight right behind it.

Nirvana!

Bulletdog
02-03-13, 03:00
This is personal opinion, in my opinion. I prefer shorter rails. I like my support hand to rest right where my light sits. I like my light out at the end of my rail to reduce the previously mentioned shadow. A nine or ten inch rail fits me perfectly. Puts my hand AND my light exactly where they need to be. If my rails were any longer, I'd have to either back my light up or reach my support hand farther out.

I have a buddy who is 6'4" with long ape arms. He prefers a minimum 15" rail.