PDA

View Full Version : Vet not allowed miniture flag on his patio

tb-av
02-01-13, 12:32
You really have to wonder how far up there ass some people's heads are.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/31/how-did-this-tiny-american-flag-land-a-military-veteran-in-trouble/

austinN4
02-01-13, 12:53
He is quoted as saying he knew his lease didn't allow it.

TAZ
02-01-13, 14:17
Why do people insist on patronizing these kinds of places?? He knew the complex didn't allow flags so why sign a lease and financially support the effers??

Magic_Salad0892
02-01-13, 18:57
If they let you fly other flags, I'd be irritated.

But they don't let you fly ANY flags. Which I'm okay with.

tb-av
02-01-13, 19:08
UPDATE: Tyler Barge told TheBlaze on Friday that Riverwalk Apartments will allow him to leave his small American flag out on his patio.

“The apartment has agreed to allow the flag to remain on the patio! Riverwalk is owned by a Local Virgina based company. They were very apologetic about the whole issue and want it to be known they too support the US flag and what it stands for,” Barge wrote in an email to TheBlaze.

“I greatly appreciate all of the support that has been shown to myself and those we have lost fighting for freedom,” he added.

SteyrAUG
02-01-13, 19:48
Why do people insist on patronizing these kinds of places?? He knew the complex didn't allow flags so why sign a lease and financially support the effers??

Yep. He signed the lease and agreed to it.

Then he pulls the "I'm a vet so I deserve special consideration" card to get his way. Personally I won't live anywhere with a homeowners association or lease that dictates what I can and can't do with my property.

His manipulation of things to get special treatment does not honor him.

tb-av
02-01-13, 19:54
Yep. He signed the lease and agreed to it.

Then he pulls the "I'm a vet so I deserve special consideration" card to get his way. Personally I won't live anywhere with a homeowners association or lease that dictates what I can and can't do with my property.

His manipulation of things to get special treatment does not honor him.

There are so many rules broken in most home-owners associations that sticking a 4" flag in a coffee cup certainly is a bit over the top.

It's not like he draped a full sized flag over the railing.

ETA:
He says he was well aware his lease prohibited him from hanging an American flag, so he opted to put out a small version of the flag in a pot of dirt instead. But the apartment complex is saying even that is unacceptable.

Hanging a flag, flying a flag is quite a bit different than what he did. I suppose no soldier in uniform would be allowed on his patio either if they had a flag on their sleeves. ... and you have to wonder why his glass table is not considered patio furniture.

Not sure how you figure he is manipulating anything.

scoutfsu99
02-01-13, 21:55
This is America. Flying an appropriately sized US flag should never be against the rules or discouraged.

Sensei
02-01-13, 22:22
Hanging a flag, flying a flag is quite a bit different than what he did. I suppose no soldier in uniform would be allowed on his patio either if they had a flag on their sleeves. ... and you have to wonder why his glass table is not considered patio furniture.

Not sure how you figure he is manipulating anything.

I get the impression that his lease specifies what can be placed on the patio. The notice that his landlord provided listed all of the items on the patio except the flag. Thus, it appears that he was in the wrong on this one.

BTW, this is an issue with a lease where someone else owns the property. The tenant agrees to use the property, but the landlord gets to determine the terms in which his property is used in accordance with local laws. It has nothing to do with HOA's that regulate the use and appearance of one's private property.

tb-av
02-01-13, 22:43
Per our lease agreement we only allow the following times on your patio/balcony:

1. Patio furniture

2. Up to (3) working bicycles

3. Plants

I think the landlord would think the rental agent that "enforced" this rule would think they had lost their mind.

I can understand the trash and generally they don't want you flying a flag because many have a single flag somewhere on site. They don't like beach towels hanging over the railings and such... but a little flag in a coffee cup? Come on...... I suppose he could argue it's an artificial flag plant... they didn't say if the plants need to be living.

I suppose you're not allowed to eat dinner on that patio furniture either as dishes and flatware are not furniture. Can't imagine what they would do if you brought a radio out there.

This was someone being an idiot and I don't think it was the tenant.

SteyrAUG
02-01-13, 23:12
This is America. Flying an appropriately sized US flag should never be against the rules or discouraged.

You should never make the mistake of believing if you subject yourself to the rules of others that the rules will always be fair or reasonable.

I can fly whatever size flag I wish because I made a conscious decision to NOT live in a HOA or sign a lease that would prohibit such things.

tb-av
02-01-13, 23:58
When I lived in a condo we had a pond. Always had geese, ducks, turtles and occasional otter.

Had a bad drought one year and the goose crap got pretty bad. Normally it washed away with rain. The interesting thing was the pond was a good 10' or more below the grade. At the top was a parking lot and the geese rarely came up that high.

Well one of the owners got herself elected to the board and decided she didn't like geese. So she arranged to have a 4' fence erected around a portion of the pond. 60% of the perimeter of the pond could not be fenced as we didn't own it.

So we have pond level 10' below grade, a 4' fence to keep out geese that have to fly in and only 40% of perimeter can be covered. I am normally very laid back but when I saw that fence without ever having been notified of it I went off. Called all the board of directors and finally got the woman on the phone and asked her what she was thinking...... she said the people that sold her the fence told her it would work...................

Anyway... after that they started sending out notices to comment on prior to acting and she left the board the following cycle.

I still shake my head in wonder at that one.

It doesn't take a village. It only takes one idiot.