PDA

View Full Version : To MOE or not to MOE

Turk182
02-01-13, 13:44
This is my question. Subject : 6920

Looking to replace my handguard. I have read the other thread, with basicly the same question.

Im not looking for a ladder rail and Im leaning tword the MOE.

My question is ... What am I missing here? What is available out there?

The Magpul MOE @ $30.00

or

DD Omega @ $260.00 :blink::blink:

This is quite a price gap, no? What am I missing

Thankyou

Shorts
02-01-13, 13:50
My question would be, what do you want the hand guards to do? What is your goal? Why do you want to change them out? Answer these questions and now you can look specifically at models that fill those purposes.

Guns-up.50
02-01-13, 14:02

The Magpul MOE @ $30.00

Plastic, non free floating minimal rail space, short less hand space, less money

or

DD Omega @ $260.00 :blink::blink:

12 in of free rail space top ,left, right or bottom, free float, allows for extended hand placement, more durable more space more freedom more money

Both serve their intended purpose, get what you need and want. when building a possible life saving tool price should take a back seat to quality if you think you want a rail buy it now because selling shit you bought to buy better shit never workouts for you.
Remember buy one cry once

yellow50
02-01-13, 14:19
With a DD rail you can run it over with a truck and throw it out of a helicopter and it will protect the gas tube. I have both the DD Ris ii and a MOE carbine hand guard and I like both for what they are. The only reason I picked up a MOE though was to mount a light. Other than that its not much different than a stock hand guard .

TurretGunner
02-01-13, 14:29
Why?

Why do you need a rail. Plan to hang a laser or light off of it?

6920's are very light, handy and reliable. Unless you need to tacicol it out, I would leave it as is.

Personaly I think the MOE looks like cheap shit like most of magpul's gear.

If you want a decent rail for good money, look into a KAC RAS. They wont require any modification and are around $150 bucks if you look. Same rail thats on most m4carbines in the .mil.

When it comes to rifles, lighter is better, all things being equal.

FeltaDorce
02-01-13, 14:39
I am very satisfied with MOE furniture, and prefer it to standard GI handguard and stock. IMHO, everyone who tries to justify a freefloat on a carbine is either over-estimating their shooting ability or has too much money to waste. If you are able to change your POI due to forces on the handguards at carbine shooting distances, you need to seriously re-evaluate your form and support of the rifle. I fully expect to feel the heat after this post :) Good luck with your furniture choice. MOE all the way.

Turk182
02-01-13, 14:47
My question would be, what do you want the hand guards to do? What is your goal? Why do you want to change them out? Answer these questions and now you can look specifically at models that fill those purposes.

Thankyou for you reply
Maybe a light, maybe. I do like the QD socket idea & would use it.

Id like to change them out because they just feel 'fat'. Not to mention it reminds me of one of my first rifle style BB guns, kinda cheap-ish.

Usage.. Steel, local range and I own my land and am willing to drop any coyote I see. No hunting

I have a 15-22 for the opossum, we had an entire family this year.
I mow with a 22A1 with 5.5 HB for the rock-chucks (little chip-n-dale looking ground rat/mole/thing)

J

Turk182
02-01-13, 14:52
[QUOTE=TurretGunner;1530908]

Unless you need to tacicol it out, I would leave it as is.

[QUOTE]

I believe your looking for 'Tacticool

I have a 22 if I want to add a disco ball

Turk182
02-01-13, 14:54
With a DD rail you can run it over with a truck and throw it out of a helicopter and it will protect the gas tube.

With any, and I mean ANY luck. I will not be doing these things. I hope

Turk182
02-01-13, 14:57
I am very satisfied with MOE furniture, and prefer it to standard GI handguard and stock. IMHO, everyone who tries to justify a freefloat on a carbine is either over-estimating their shooting ability or has too much money to waste. If you are able to change your POI due to forces on the handguards at carbine shooting distances, you need to seriously re-evaluate your form and support of the rifle. I fully expect to feel the heat after this post :) Good luck with your furniture choice. MOE all the way.

Thankyou for the honest answer. Im thinking MOE also.

^Rb
02-01-13, 15:00
If you're only looking at price, then you're looking at it incorrectly.

For what it's worth, the MOE handguard is one of the most cost-effective upgrades for the AR15 platform. It's lightweight, it's robust, and it's cheap. However, if you find the need for the best accuracy possible out of your existing weapon, and/or auxiliary rail-mounted add-on's, then you'll likely outgrow the MOE and wanna look at a quality rail.

.46caliber
02-01-13, 15:04
I like my MOE furniture. Its comfortable and adding a light is easy. If you don't need the rail real estate and it fits your hands well go for the MOE. Fit and comfort can make a big difference.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Traveshamockery
02-01-13, 15:05
IWC has a MOE handguard with a QD socket pre-installed. They also make mounting hardware for lights that fit the MOE handguards.

rackham1
02-01-13, 15:35
MOE - 30
Surefire G2X - 65
IWC SMC light mount - 65
IWC QD socket - 25
VCAS sling (w/ QD) - 65

Total = 250 < the example rail you mentioned

This is very close to my main AR's config and it meets all my HD, ranch gun, range needs. Can't imagine it not doing the same for you.

TriumphRat675
02-01-13, 15:55
MOE - 30
Surefire G2X - 65
IWC SMC light mount - 65
IWC QD socket - 25
VCAS sling (w/ QD) - 65

This is very close to my main AR's config and it meets all my HD, ranch gun, range needs. Can't imagine it not doing the same for you.

This.

I bought a 6920 and jocked it out with a DD omega rail, etc. etc. After actually using it, I put an MOE on my SBR and outfitted it like rackham. For me, the MOE provides 95% of the functionality of the rail at about 15% of the price...

pcardinal42
02-01-13, 16:17
For me the MOE has all the function I need for only having a light attached and provides a comfortable grip that rails or stock handguards can't provide. Go to your local gun store and get a hands on feel would be the best advice I could provide.

Shorts
02-01-13, 17:21
Thankyou for you reply

Id like to change them out because they just feel 'fat'. Not to mention it reminds me of one of my first rifle style BB guns, kinda cheap-ish.

Usage.. Steel, local range and I own my land and am willing to drop any coyote I see. No hunting

I mow with a 22A1 with 5.5 HB for the rock-chucks (little chip-n-dale looking ground rat/mole/thing)

J

From this I would say a MOE hand guard would be something to consider. The carbine length is inexpensive, lightweight and feel better than the stock guards - more grab-able if you will with the slightly slimmer(?) profile, smoother in hand. My stock guards are 6.4oz and the MOE is 6.8oz. The aluminum handguards are nice, but more expensive and unnecessary for my purposes a this point in time. They are also slightly heavier (slightly is 4+oz).

I changed mine out for similar reasons as you - wanted something different from stock. I don't need rail space but there is room for small rail pieces to be installed for small or situational accessories depending on the outing. My purpose for my rifle is land/coyote/hog - ranch rifle if you will. It is not my primary pd and not a duty piece.

Big A
02-01-13, 17:36
I love my MOE hand guards. The shape feels much better than the standard ones to me and you can mount a light to them with ease.

3 AE
02-01-13, 19:00
Thankyou for you reply

J

Please PM Senior Member "markm" on the usefulness of QDs. Be sure to insert earplugs prior to hitting "Send"! :D

ColtSeavers
02-01-13, 19:54
Forget MOE handguards, outside of aesthetics they offer nothing (edit: over a regular handguard IMO).

I suggest (and went with) the VLTOR CASV free float no mod rail customizable handguard.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=casv

http://www.vltor.com/casv-sub.htm

Atlshaun
02-01-13, 20:02
Get what serves you best and shoot

ZINCOGNITO
02-01-13, 20:11
If you're worried about weight and cost, I don't know of any hand guard that can beat the MOE. Having shot a monolithic colt and moe colt side by side, I can see why some people prefer a lightweight m4. Goodluck

BufordTJustice
02-01-13, 20:14
The MOE's are tough, economical, and functional. Unless you require a free float for accuracy or mounting a dbal/peq unit, the MOE works just as well.
I use an MOE on my duty carbine.

I bet i can outshoot most of the people with free float handguards.

If you're gonna blow $200, get a damn Geissele SSA. That will add more function to the gun and have a bigger effect on accuracy under 100 yards.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

D.S. Brown
02-01-13, 20:42
I recently sold two DD EZ CAR rails that were on a DD and BCM. Both were replaced by carbine length MOE handguards. I like the way they feel, and how I can get a solid grip on them, especially, on my DD, where I have a Surefire X300 mounted on the left side of the handguard. When I can afford to I'll get one for the BCM. I don't plan to mount anything else on them.

In the end I evaluated what I need the gun to be able to do, and how the gun fit my hands. In the end the MOE handguards work better for me, but remember YMMV. Good luck.

Best,

Dave

02-01-13, 20:49
IMHO, everyone who tries to justify a freefloat on a carbine is either over-estimating their shooting ability or has too much money to waste.

I guess those crazy kids like Kyle DeFoor, Kyle Lamb, LAV, Jeff Gonzalez, et al. are just ignorant. Using support with FF rail vs. non-FF? DBAL or PEQ?

RCI1911
02-01-13, 21:28
I really like my Moe on my mid length but depending on how you control the gun with your support hand it may be too short especially when trying to manipulate a weapon mounted flashlight. The Moe is a great handguard for the money but it may not be ideal for how you shoot.

Turk182
02-01-13, 22:16
I guess those crazy kids like Kyle DeFoor, Kyle Lamb, LAV, Jeff Gonzalez, et al. are just ignorant. Using support with FF rail vs. non-FF? DBAL or PEQ?

He never used the word "ignorant". Stir the pot on another thread.
I have owned a pair on Nike shoes, yet M.Jordan has always been better.

Personaly I tend to agree with the statment. IMO, if your a good shot, your a good shot with the firearm your handed. Sure you get better with trigger time but I believe its an art that you understand or you dont.

Turk182
02-01-13, 22:19
Forget MOE handguards, outside of aesthetics they offer nothing (edit: over a regular handguard IMO).

I suggest (and went with) the VLTOR CASV free float no mod rail customizable handguard.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=casv

http://www.vltor.com/casv-sub.htm

Not what I want or what Im looking for but I like the looks of it.
What do you do with you gas block? The pictures look as if the front is of the pop-up type.

Turk182
02-01-13, 22:22
Im leaning hard tword the MOE. On top of that I am thinking I just read a post saying that you can buy the MOE with a pre-installed QD. This is a plus.

So from what I gather there is no other option in the same price range. Correct?

yellow50
02-01-13, 22:40
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/category/combo-deals/handguards/

Personally i dont see how this is really a huge decision. One is 30$ and the other is hundreds of dollars more. If you are really hung up, buy the MOE and if you dont like it, save up for the DD. Then sell off the MOE on the EE.

currahee
02-01-13, 22:42
Keep the hand guards you have. Spend the money on ammo (when you can find it)

ColtSeavers
02-01-13, 22:46
Not what I want or what Im looking for but I like the looks of it.
What do you do with you gas block? The pictures look as if the front is of the pop-up type.

I have their CASV-S on my 16" midlength with 'F' marked front sight post with absolutely no modification as per their instructions.

Visual example since my pictures will never be as good of quality.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/j4enh.r2en5/v/vspfiles/photos/BCM-URG-MID-16%20CASV-SB-2.jpg?1334734642

Depending on the model and particular picture you look at, you can see options for using their (or a) flip up front sight either on the casv or on the gas block, as I suspect that is what you are referencing.

xjustintimex
02-02-13, 00:13
For me the moe handguards on the 6920 are too short. Other than that they are awesome. If I could get on of those uppers with a rifle length moe handguard on a carbine length system it would be perfect

kVon
02-02-13, 01:06
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k617/kvon1/31C60CD5-C0AA-4A0E-9452-BA30665734E1-1742-000000BA179C5900.jpg

I have had many rails. I prefer long rails if I'm going to use one. For carbine gas with a fixed front sight, I prefer the moe. The QD socket and light attachment from IWC are cheap and work for my uses.

xjustintimex
02-02-13, 02:34
For a little sbr like that, moe works awesome

Five_Point_Five_Six
02-02-13, 08:44
For my needs, the mid length MOE handguard with IWC light mount is perfect.

nova3930
02-02-13, 09:29
I have a 6.8mm rifle with rails and wish I didn't. I think my next project after I finish my current rifle is to convert to a FSB and MOE.

I have 2 5.56mm rifles with MOE midlengths and love them.

I came to the conclusion after building and using the 6.8mm, that I as a civilian have no need for all those rails and really no need for free float.

I don't have 50 pieces of gear that need to hang off my rifle, lights and slings are about it, so I end up with a whole lot of wasted rail space. On top of that, I'm not taking long range shots and even if I was, I'm not a good enough shot for FF to make a darn bit of difference.

IMO I wasted a lot of money on that rail that could have been better spent on ammo....

TurretGunner
02-02-13, 09:34

You are talking about guys who have the training and skills to wring out that accuracy. Most are also paid to promote products and/or given a ton of top of the line shit to use.

The majority of the military runs non FF rails on their carbines..... Can't belive they can actually kill something with a non-ff rail..... I read on ARFCOM that's impossible.

indawire
02-02-13, 09:36
Take MOE and leave Larry and Curly at home. For the money get one used and sell it later if you feel the need to do the FF rail thing.

WhiskyNiner
02-02-13, 09:45
I got both.

It's my first AR, so what did I know? The MOE that came with it felt ok, was light, and looks ok to me. But it couldn't sprout nearly as much stuff as a rail.

I got a rail for way less than $200 on a trip to Cabelas. I haven't put anything on it but a front sight and a handle, but am going to get a light on it soon-ish. I know now that I really don't need most of what can go on a rail.

I'm doing a build of my second AR as soon as all the parts arrive. I'll be able to test them side by side to see what I like best. It has little to do with need at this point, since it's only for range use. The .45 does primary home defense duties.

Litpipe
02-02-13, 10:46
Go MOE and get a Geiselle trigger with the savings. You will be happy.

I have MOE on one AR and a troy ff rail on another. You can mount a light on an moe.

Trigger is worth the money...it actually influences shooting. The rail will protect tube/barrel and your hand.

JPB
02-02-13, 11:29
The MOE's are tough, economical, and functional. Unless you require a free float for accuracy or mounting a dbal/peq unit, the MOE works just as well.
I use an MOE on my duty carbine.

I bet i can outshoot most of the people with free float handguards.

If you're gonna blow $200, get a damn Geissele SSA. That will add more function to the gun and have a bigger effect on accuracy under 100 yards.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

^The best advice this thread has to offer. Unless you need to mounted sighting equipment up front (BUIS, PEQ, BDAL, etc...) there is no need for a rigidly mounted free float rail on a 6920.

Airhasz
02-02-13, 11:56
[QUOTE=WhiskyNiner;1531890]I got both.

It's my first AR, so what did I know? The MOE that came with it felt ok, was light, and looks ok to me. But it couldn't sprout nearly as much stuff as a rail.

I got a rail for way less than $200 on a trip to Cabelas. I haven't put anything on it but a front sight and a handle, but am going to get a light on it soon-ish. I know now that I really don't need most of what can go on a rail.

How is that handle working out for you?

Traveshamockery
02-02-13, 13:14
Accuracy is not the only reason to mount a longer free float rail. Many instructors teach students to get their support grip as far down the barrel as possible. Carbine length handguards make me feel like I'm folded up on myself.

That said, I have a MOE on my main rifle and it works fine. But I will be replacing it with an NSR or something similar in the future for ergonomic purposes.

WhiskyNiner
02-02-13, 14:05
How is that handle working out for you?

I like it. I've taken to placing my hand right in front of it with the heel using it as a backstop. It feels better, but I have to think about it when I place my hand there.

It's similar to the "thumb across the top of the rail" thing, but more comfortable to me. I've tried that hand-on-top thing but I don't see what all the hoopla is about. It doesn't do anything for me.

I'd like to take a rifle class this year if ammo costs every come back down. No telling what I'd have as a setup after one of those...

discreet
02-02-13, 15:40
MOE - 30
Surefire G2X - 65
IWC SMC light mount - 65
IWC QD socket - 25
VCAS sling (w/ QD) - 65

Well said. People often forget that when they spend 200+ on a rail, you will then want some kind of rail cover to protect the unused rail (even those some like uncovered rails), a light mount, sling mount (for some rails), sling etc. Pretty soon price starts adding way up, especially if a good light is going to be used etc.

NTM, if using a longer rail, and not using a rail with a FSB opening, you will end up shaving or replacing the block, and thus then using a front sight, which is again, and additional cost.

Really goes either way though, so I can't talk as I have both a monolithic upper on one rifle, and then some MOE mid lengths on another.

WhiskyNiner
02-02-13, 16:17
That rail I got at Cabelas was a 7" by Troy, and has the QD points on it. The handle was a CAA, also got it at Cabelas. The sights are Magpul.

I don't dislike the MOE, but it feels to me like small tool bag. It's good if you only want a couple of things, but not if you (may) want more than a couple of things. I like the possibilites and room to grow of the rail. I like the mechanicalness of the rail. It's heavier than the MOE, but I'll put that on the wife's gun.

It's a learning experience that I've only been experiencing for six months, so I have a lot of things to go through. As with anything, the learning curve will have dollar sign mile markers along the way.

Shoot. Enjoy. Talk about it.

Litpipe
02-02-13, 16:40
Hope you enjoy it. Not free float which is what I thought u wanted.

jesuvuah
02-02-13, 18:08
I really like moe for what they are. I really like the tube on my DD m4v7...but other then being able to get my hand out there, it does little for me beause they only thing I mount up to my guns is a light.

I have owned rifles with moe handguard and really liked them over the stock ones. When I get my next upper it will probably have moe handgaurds.

you'll shoot your eye out
02-02-13, 18:17
I was looking at purchasing a MOE...I recently lost my other AR's in a boating accident and I am currently going for a lightweight AR build. I was able to get a lower (spikes) and upper receiver for less than 300, I have everything else, so why not. I like the MOE because it has mounting options...If I even choose to ever use the option, its there.

Samson1
02-02-13, 20:39
i would say just buy a moe and see how you like it. there will always be someone to buy if if you dont like it and you'll lose max $10. to be honest its on my rifle and i dont like it all that much, my hands just dont feel right. i dont hate it, but i dont love it either. however, when i think of paying 5x the price of a moe to replace it with the closest ok quality rail, i can learn to deal with it. id rather save up for my aimpoint.

Korgs130
02-03-13, 08:38
i would say just buy a moe and see how you like it. there will always be someone to buy if if you dont like it and you'll lose max $10.

This is a great point. Try one and if it isn't for you unload it on the EE.

Turk182
02-04-13, 07:16
This is a great point. Try one and if it isn't for you unload it on the EE.

Thanks guys. I am buying one from an M4 member. It has the QD socket. I will post the members name and give positive feedback after I get it.

J

kevguillot
04-07-13, 20:45
If you're worried about weight and cost, I don't know of any hand guard that can beat the MOE. Having shot a monolithic colt and moe colt side by side, I can see why some people prefer a lightweight m4. Goodluck

THIS! lol what up mang??

jaxman7
04-07-13, 20:56
I just wish Magpul would make a MOE handguard that would extend even further past the handguard cap on both sides. Centurion FSP style. That way I could push my light (Scout w/MOE cantilevered rail section) past my support hand grip. Only bothers me when I shoot support side though. Eventually gonna try out their scout mount but still would be cool if they would extend the hg out towards the sides a little.

-Jax

DIRTMAN556
04-07-13, 21:05
I just wish Magpul would make a MOE handguard that would extend past the handguard cap on both sides. Centurion FSP style. That way I could push my light (Scout w/MOE cantilevered rail section) past my support hand grip. Only bothers me when I shoot support side though. Eventually gonna try out their scout mount but still would be cool if they would extend the hg out towards the sides a little.

-Jax

I'm right there with you on longer MOE handguards.

Recently I ditched my DD 7" Omega rails for a simple MOE. After trying out different configurations, for my use. Which is mostly range and possible HD. Rails were a bit much. I used XTM panels which actually weighed the carbine down a bit. Next upper will have a longer rail.

Have fun and don't forget to post some pictures up.

DocH
04-07-13, 21:23
I just wish Magpul would make a MOE handguard that would extend even further past the handguard cap on both sides. Centurion FSP style. That way I could push my light (Scout w/MOE cantilevered rail section) past my support hand grip. Only bothers me when I shoot support side though. Eventually gonna try out their scout mount but still would be cool if they would extend the hg out towards the sides a little.

-Jax

I've thought about this myself,and wish Magpul would make it. Maybe we can drop it in their suggestion box.

.46caliber
04-07-13, 21:26

-Jax

Definitely agree there. I really like the way the Centurion FSPs blur the line between a 7 and 9 inch setup. In addition to the light, VFG users could have a little bit more flexibility possibly with an extended MOE handguard.

fdxpilot
04-07-13, 21:41
This.

I bought a 6920 and jocked it out with a DD omega rail, etc. etc. After actually using it, I put an MOE on my SBR and outfitted it like rackham. For me, the MOE provides 95% of the functionality of the rail at about 15% of the price...

I have a similar experience. My primary AR is a DD DDM4v5 with the 12" rail, and shortly after I got it, I bought a 6.8 upper configured similarly. While the look great and have lots of rail space, I find I don't need a whole lot of it. Almost all the more recent ARs I have bought or put together have MOE handguards, usually with the IWC QD sockets installed.

smac61
04-07-13, 21:52
MOE - 30
Surefire G2X - 65
IWC SMC light mount - 65
IWC QD socket - 25
VCAS sling (w/ QD) - 65

Perfect.

This is exactly what mine looks like. May switch to an Aimpoint pro over the EoTech 512 I have on it now and call it done...

Obscenejesster
04-10-13, 22:43
For my next build, I will be going the MOE route. Not because I like it more but because it will serve it's purpose and make the most sense for that build. I am going for a low cost build with no optics, no lights and no lasers. On my current rifle, I am using a C4 Rail mainly because it gives me the option to mount my optics anywhere I want without being limited to the rail space on top of the upper.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

DIRTMAN556
04-12-13, 18:00
Do it!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8380/8633662528_15f6b31cc4.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dirtman556/8633662528/)
Magpul Scout Light Mount (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dirtman556/8633662528/) by DIRTMAN556 (http://www.flickr.com/people/dirtman556/), on Flickr

freefly
04-12-13, 19:00
Just to pile on:

I will re-emphasize the weight (savings) with the MOE, especially with longer gas/rail systems. I have a 14.5" middy upper with a LW-profile barrel + the MOE hand guards, and the thing is super light. For me, "adding lightness" is high up the list of desirable factors. YMMV.

DocH
04-12-13, 19:29
I was looking at purchasing a MOE...I recently lost my other AR's in a boating accident and I am currently going for a lightweight AR build. I was able to get a lower (spikes) and upper receiver for less than 300, I have everything else, so why not. I like the MOE because it has mounting options...If I even choose to ever use the option, its there.

I'm a diver.Where'd the boat turn over?:D

krichbaum
04-13-13, 06:46
MOE handguards work very well IMO. Are they the "best"? No, but that all depends on what you need to do with the weapon anyway. For the money, I think they're great.

A set up as shown below covers the needs of *most* shooters and costs a helluva lot less than any of the high end rail systems. Fairly light weight (that carbine is 7lbs unloaded). I prefer the shape of the MOE handguards to the standard handguards. Light and sling attachment options are available...IWC makes some really nice stuff.

http://www.krichbaum.net/pics/i.php?/upload/2013/04/13/20130413043616-ab160681-xl.jpg

uffdaphil
04-13-13, 15:44
I prefer the look of the standard Colt type handguards, but the lower shape makes them feel like they want to squirt out of my grip. The MOE just feels ultra stable in comparison. And only my DDV7Lw feels as balanced. My other rails - two DD and a KAC, feel good in hand but front heavy.

+1 for the 14.5 middy LW with MOE. Finished a BCM a couple days ago and liked so much I snagged another upper for the future. Though this one will probably wear the ultra light Geissle MK4 when finally avaiable.

MrCleanOK
04-13-13, 16:31
I don't own a MOE yet, but I am planning on putting one on my 16" lightweight-ish carbine. I want the ability to attach a light and QD sling swivel, and the standard two-piece plastic handguards I am using now just don't do it for me.

I can shoot perfect day and night rifle qualifications with the Army's M4 with the standard RIS. Consistent day time hits out to 300m, and a PEQ that keeps zero well enough for consistent hits at 250m in the dark is proof enough for me that a non-floated handguard isn't the limiting factor of defensive carbine accuracy.

incognito
04-14-13, 00:43
As a few other have said, for a simple, lower cost, but still very usable set-up,

MOE handguard + IWC QD + IWC light mount + flashlight of your choice

For the Surefire G2X, that comes out to ~$180 plus shipping. What set up gives you as much for less?

Incognito

NYH1
04-14-13, 02:05
As a few other have said, for a simple, lower cost, but still very usable set-up,

MOE handguard + IWC QD + IWC light mount + flashlight of your choice

For the Surefire G2X, that comes out to ~$180 plus shipping. What set up gives you as much for less?

Incognito
That's the setup I'm using. It works pretty good for me. I bought the MOE handguard locally then ordered the IWC QD and IWC's light mount & G2X combo.

NYH1.

The Ground Truth
04-14-13, 09:42
I looked at the DD rail but I couldn't justify the cost versus what my need was. In the end, I went with the MOE because it improved my overall grip and is visually pleasing to me. I can always add a light to the MOE as well.

Complimentary typos courtesy of Tapatalk