PDA

View Full Version : Rem. 700 bipod help

HELLSING
02-01-13, 18:34
I'm looking for a relatively cheap, but decent bipod to put on my .270 Rem. 700.

I've seen a huge assortment looking at pictures on here but have no clue who makes good/bad ones.... so any help is HUGELY appreciated.

The only brands I know of are UTG, Harris, and Blackhawk which Dick's Sporting Goods sells.

orkan
02-01-13, 18:37
For cheap but good - Harris BRM-S.
For expensive but the best - B&T Atlas.

TriviaMonster
02-01-13, 22:20
The Harris will be fine for just about any usage. Stay away from UTG bipods or just about anything UTG.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

kevN
02-01-13, 23:01
Orkan,

Do your Atlas legs wiggle when locked in place? Mine do, and I can take the wiggle out temporarily if I tighten the allen screw at the hinge but if you move the leg into a different position it loosens up again and the wiggle is back.

I don't know if it's an issue, but I tend to prefer my Larue/BRMS to it because of that. Wondering if that was status quo.

j-dubya
02-01-13, 23:54
I stopped using the Atlas bipods due to the wiggle and the extra movement the unit has from the ball and socket. It was harder to be consistent, especially in rapid re-engagements. I am a left-handed shooter so I already have enough movement going as it is.

orkan
02-02-13, 06:39
The allen screw at the hinge shouldn't move. If it does, it needs fixed. Send it in for warranty.

There has to be a little play in order to work properly. Too much tension and the legs wouldn't move.

As for the "wiggle" causing you to not be able to shoot? Never seen that before. Ever. ... and I own about 6 atlas's and have put them on about 40 customer rifles. They are the best bipod available.

wburns
02-02-13, 09:44
I have a shooters ridge "rock mount" on my 700 sps .300wm. It's nothing special by any means but it's solid and does the job pretty well!

Will

davidz71
02-02-13, 09:57
You probably know this already but do not buy anything that attaches to the barrel which will change barrel harmonics and thus accuracy. I sight in a friend's rifle for him every year because he does not have access to a range and has a schedule which does not allow him time to do so. He brought his rifle and a friend of his rifle this time. I don't mind doing it for him but believe he should do it himself. Anyway, his friend's rifle had a bipod attached to the barrel. I sighted that rifle off sandbags/bench rest and told his friend not to use or detach the bipod until after the deer season. I recommended a Harris bipod attached to the stock because that is what I used years ago on a Ruger M77 heavy barrel .220 Swift. I could still shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds. using the bipod. When I sold the rifle, I kept the bipod and will attach it to my next heavy barrel rifle I buy.

-one-
02-02-13, 18:01
Harris are great and pretty inexpensive. The 6-9" I got was only $60 on Midway.

Gramps
02-02-13, 18:39
STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING UTG!!! :nono:
Just what are your plans for this .270? Going out laying down and shooting gophers/varmints? Or carrying for deer. Not exactly a long range cartridge. But if you are carrying it for a while, look at weight too. I assume you don't have a small rail on your for end, so I would go with Harris. If your going to be down in some tall grass, then look at length enough to get you above for good sight.

Pappabear
02-02-13, 20:57
Yea, for the Harris for the "affordable" , they are very nice. They are not Atlas. My advice, dont shoot the Atlas unless you plan to buy it.
They are awesome.

O, I was running one today that worked great as usual. It had just enough tension to lock tight but was effortless to mount. Some of mine are adjusted so they are quite tight ( in reference to the lever to latch it closed on the rail). Typically, my Larue's are pretty darn tight too.

How tight do you adjust the lever. I have 5 of them so I still need to rotate sometimes and was thinking it would be nice if they are were really easy to slap on / off. It seemed perfectly solid but....?

wburns
02-02-13, 21:18
The "rock mount" on my 700. It's no frills, low end, but works pretty well. The rifle is nothing special either, don't claim it to be.

dstocum
02-02-13, 22:13
STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING UTG!!! :nono:
Just what are your plans for this .270? Going out laying down and shooting gophers/varmints? Or carrying for deer. Not exactly a long range cartridge. But if you are carrying it for a while, look at weight too. I assume you don't have a small rail on your for end, so I would go with Harris. If your going to be down in some tall grass, then look at length enough to get you above for good sight.

Er, what's your definition of "long range"? Properly loaded, 270 Win is suitable for hunting medium game out to 700 yards (in the sense that you can make an ethical kill if you have the skill to hit it in the vitals at that range... not recommending trying), and hitting steel or punching paper to at least 1200 yards.

If the Nosler 150gr Accubond that supposedly coming out this year is even close to the advertised 0.625 BC, it'll be good for another 150 yards at least. True 0.625 shows the bullet going transonic at ~1475 yards (500 feet elevation, 2800 fps muzzle velocity).

----

Anyway, yeah, Harris for cheap. Make sure you get the swivel version, the ones that don't swivel suck for anything but shooting off a bench or from a fixed position where you can set it up and leave it all day.

I recommend buying the Alpha-Bravo swivel lock. The stock swivel knob will quickly become impossible to fully tighten by hand, and the Alpha-Bravo is much easier to use in any case. I'm not certain but I think I have the long angled zinc levers on my bipods.

prdubi
02-04-13, 11:16
I was exploring on getting an atlas for my remi 700 but stuck with the Harris 6-9 adjustable and other goodies on it.
Truth be told.....when I was broke as a joke, I got the RockCreek or whatever the clone of Harris and truth be told, it was a Harris in it.

I took it back to the store and I told them about it and turns out one of their store workers was switching them around and having friends buy it.

They canned him and they let me keep the Harris.

It's a great bipod in my opinion. Is the Atlas worth more.

Not sure but alot of people swear on it.

orkan
02-04-13, 11:19
It's a great bipod in my opinion. Is the Atlas worth more. Not sure but alot of people swear on it. More forgiving equipment is better than less forgiving equipment.

The Atlas is more forgiving than a harris. This is fact. :)

prdubi
02-04-13, 11:32
There are three models there.

The only part I am lost on is how to attach it to my rifle, my stock is a HS precision m24 stock setup.

Also lost on the 3 versions and their differences.

http://www.accu-shot.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24

What do I with my rifle. I try my best to shoot small holes at 1200 yards with it.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/272362_2069483812831_1116910480_32199643_7629917_o.jpg

markm
02-04-13, 11:53
The only part I am lost on is how to attach it to my rifle, my stock is a HS precision m24 stock setup.

B&T makes a rail section that attaches where your Front Sling swivel studs are. They're like $19 for the rail kit.

Then you can either buy the QD or the clamp on model. The QD is nice, but I could totally get away with the screw on/clamp on version.

orkan
02-04-13, 12:11
Yup, lots of companies make rail sections. Badger, Seekins, etc.