PDA

View Full Version : M&P Ammo

maitresaman
03-07-08, 13:13
What is the best ammo to use in the M&P for the range? What is the best for self protection?

ToddG
03-07-08, 13:16
Anything free.

maitresaman
03-07-08, 13:27
Anything free.

Great! Here's my mailing address:

2255 Smart Ass Lane
Nice Try, USA

Can I get some serious answers please?

rathos
03-07-08, 14:45
for the range, anything brass cased that is full metal jacket. Lead doesn't always work good and it tends to plug up barrels fast. The aluminum case stuff also sometimes causes stoppages due to the cases shaving while feeding.

For defense any hollowpoint will work good. Its best to buy 3-5 different types and do you own tests at the range as to what feeds the best and what shoots the tightest groups. Personally I like federal hydrashocks for defense as they feed well in every gun I have ever tried and are generally at the top of the list in real shooting stoppages for reliably opening and stopping aggressors.

Hope that helps.

WS6
03-07-08, 15:32
I use Monarch Brass-cased ammo. It is the cheapest stuff out there, including Blazer aluminum.

It has PPU headstamping (Prvi Partisan) and while a bit dirty, it was 100% reliable in my 226 ST Elite 9mm and provided the most robust ejection I have gotten from 115gr FMJ plinking ammo. I fired a 5-shot group measuring 1.9" from 10 yards. The ammo is G2G in my book, just a bit sooty and a TINY bit more smokey than other brands I have tried.

For self Defence, I keep 124gr +P Ranger Talons.

the1911fan
03-07-08, 16:29
Anything free.

Me too. Thanx taxpayers:D

ToddG
03-07-08, 16:46
for the range, anything brass cased that is full metal jacket. Lead doesn't always work good and it tends to plug up barrels fast. The aluminum case stuff also sometimes causes stoppages due to the cases shaving while feeding.

FWIW, I've fired close to 100,000 rounds of aluminum case Blazer over the past five years or so, including 18,476 rounds of 9x19mm through my M&P9. I'd say it is above average in quality, and I prefer it over many other "bargain" practice loads.

Gutshot John
03-07-08, 17:43
I've not fired these through a M&P but...

Do you prefer max terminal ballistic effects or shootability in your defense ammo?

For max terminal ballistics my preference is for any 115 gr. +p hollowpoint. Cor-bon DPX probably is my preferred.

For shootability probably Federal 147 gr. HSHK which is what I used to carry before switching to the DPX.

For range ammo...whatever is cheapest and your gun cycles reliably.

rathos
03-07-08, 18:24
Good to hear it works good for you. Every gun I have fired it out of it shoots low and right and in my 1911s especially it shaves cases. It also shaves cases horribly in my taurus 24/7.

FWIW, I've fired close to 100,000 rounds of aluminum case Blazer over the past five years or so, including 18,476 rounds of 9x19mm through my M&P9. I'd say it is above average in quality, and I prefer it over many other "bargain" practice loads.

ToddG
03-07-08, 20:21
I'm having a hard time figuring out ammunition could cause consistent low-right hits in multiple guns. I've seen stuff like that happen for a particular pistol (it shoots one load to POA and another is consistently off) but it doesn't shoot off center consistently in other guns.

The shaving think is certainly not uncommon, though I haven't found it happens for me in [/b]my guns[/b] with Blazer any more often than other loads.

WS6
03-08-08, 03:17
I'm having a hard time figuring out ammunition could cause consistent low-right hits in multiple guns. I've seen stuff like that happen for a particular pistol (it shoots one load to POA and another is consistently off) but it doesn't shoot off center consistently in other guns.

The shaving think is certainly not uncommon, though I haven't found it happens for me in [/b]my guns[/b] with Blazer any more often than other loads.

My SIG eats up the Blazer Aluminum. I just prefer brass and since it is cheaper than aluminum, I use it.

Trim2L
03-08-08, 11:19
I fired about 1K rounds of Blazer Aluminum and I had no problems. I ended up with it in a trade as a favor to a friend but I wouldn't have a problem shooting it again. I primarily load all my own ammo but CCI/Speer/ATK is tops in my book and I don't think they'd ever intentionally sell bad or defective ammunition.

As far as what is best in in an M&P, according to me, anything that is reliable and allows you to shoot more. Cheap is good but FREE is better. :D

Kurt Reifert
03-08-08, 12:04
What is the best ammo to use in the M&P for the range? What is the best for self protection?

What does "best" mean?
Cheapest?
Most accurate?
Easiest to obtain?

You'll have to buy a box of each brand that is available and give them a test run to find out what performs "best" for your intended use.

maitresaman
03-11-08, 16:17
I'm looking for fairly cheap ammo for the range that isn't of horrible quality.

As for the defense ammo, I'm partial to the Hornady Taps and Federal Hydro. Thought I'd ask that one to see what others thought.