PDA

View Full Version : Who makes pistol magazines?

Traveshamockery
02-02-13, 19:30
Do pistol manufacturers usually build their own magazines, or do they contract out to third-party companies?

We know a ton about the OEM makers of AR-15 parts, but I don't know much at all about the supply chain for pistol magazines. Anyone know?

DanjojoUSMC
02-02-13, 20:02
Many use mec gar and a few do in house

Traveshamockery
02-02-13, 20:07
I'm mainly interested because it seems like pistol mags were constantly in short supply even before the panic, and now, with the exception of the occasional Glock mag, pistol mags are basically non-existent.

I'm wondering why the big AR mag builders are seeming to keep some inventory flowing, while pistol mags are missing from the shelves.

bigbang
02-02-13, 20:15
I'm only aware that Kimber 1911 magazines are made by Checkmate. Don't know about the rest of them.

MAP
02-02-13, 20:16
Glock makes their own. They do make some in the US.

Mike

blueorison
02-12-13, 18:35
Most pistol mfg's with steel magazines and large production runs outsource their magazine production to companies like MecGar.

That said, many make them in-house.

Rinspeed
02-12-13, 21:12
Both Mec-Gar and Checkmate make mags for a boatload of different companies. I had friend over the other day and had a new Kimber KimPro tac-mag, which are made by Checkmate, and it was very high quality. I have three or four older Checkmate 1911 mags and they have always ran 100% in several of my 1911s.