PDA

View Full Version : Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi Killed in Air Raid

M4arc
06-08-06, 04:42
Excellent!

06-08-2006 6:14 AM
By PATRICK QUINN, Associated Press Writer

Listen to audio
BAGHDAD, Iraq -- Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, al-Qaida's leader in Iraq who led a bloody campaign of suicide bombings and kidnappings, has been killed in an air strike, U.S. and Iraqi officials said Thursday, adding that his identity was confirmed by fingerprints and a look at his face. It was a major victory in the U.S.-led war in Iraq and the broader war on terror.

Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said al-Zarqawi was killed along with seven aides Wednesday evening in a remote area 30 miles northeast of Baghdad in the volatile province of Diyala, just east of the provincial capital of Baqouba, al-Maliki said.

Loud applause broke out as al-Maliki, flanked by U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad and U.S. Gen. George Casey, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, told reporters at a news conference that "al-Zarqawi was eliminated."

In London, British Prime Minister Tony Blair said al-Zarqawi's death "was very good news because a blow against al-Qaida in Iraq was a blow against al-Qaida everywhere."

The announcement came six days after the Jordanian-born terror leader issued an audiotape on the Internet, railing against Shiites in Iraq and saying militias were raping women and killing Sunnis and the community must fight back.

Al-Maliki said the air strike was the result of intelligence reports provided to Iraqi security forces by residents in the area, and U.S. forces acted on the information.

A Jordanian official said that Jordan also provided the U.S. military with information that helped in tracking al-Zarqawi down. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was addressing intelligence issues, would not elaborate, but Jordan is known to have intelligence agents operating in Iraq to hunt down Islamic militants.

Some of the information came from Jordan's sources inside Iraq and led the U.S. military to the area of Baqouba, the official said.

Baqouba has in recent weeks seen a spike in sectarian violence, including the discovery of 17 severed heads in fruit boxes. It was also near the site of a sectarian atrocity last week in which masked gunmen killed 21 Shiites, including a dozen students, after separating out four Sunni Arabs.

"Those who disrupt the course of life, like al-Zarqawi, will have a tragic end," al-Maliki said. He also warned those who would follow the militant's lead that "whenever there is a new al-Zarqawi, we will kill him."

"This is a message for all those who embrace violence, killing and destruction to stop and to (retreat) before it's too late," he said. "It is an open battle with all those who incite sectarianism."

Khalilzad added that "the death of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is a huge success for Iraq and the international war on terror." He also gave a thumbs up and said it was a good day for America.

Casey said the hunt for al-Zarqawi began in the area two weeks ago, and al-Zarqawi's body was identified by fingerprints and facial recognition.

Al-Zarqawi, who is believed to have personally beheaded at least two American hostages, became Iraq's most wanted militant _ as notorious as Osama bin Laden, to whom he swore allegiance in 2004. The United States put a $25 million bounty on al-Zarqawi, the same as bin Laden.

U.S. forces in Iraq said the killing was a major victory.

"We killed him, and it's always great when you can remove someone that has caused this much harm," said Maj. Frank Garcia, public affairs officer for the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division. "We're one step closer to providing stability to the region."

Iraqis had mixed reactions.

Thamir Abdulhussein, a college student in Baghdad, said he hopes the killing of al-Zarqawi will promote reconciliation between Iraq's fractured ethnic and sectarian groups.

"If it's true al-Zarqawi was killed, that will be a big happiness for all the Iraqis," he said. "He was behind all the killings of Sunni and Shiites. Iraqis should now move toward reconciliation. They should stop the violence."

Amir Muhammed Ali, a 45-year-old stock broker in Baghdad, was skeptical that al-Zarqawi's death would end the unrelenting violence in the country, saying he was a foreigner but the Iraqi resistance to U.S.-led forces would likely continue.

"He didn't represent the resistance, someone will replace him and the operations will go on," he said.

In the past year, he moved his campaign beyond Iraq's borders, claiming to have carried out a Nov. 9, 2005, triple suicide bombing against hotels in Amman, Jordan, that killed 60 people, as well as other attacks in Jordan and even a rocket attack from Lebanon into northern Israel.

U.S. forces and their allies came close to capturing al-Zarqawi several times since his campaign began in mid-2003.

His closest brush may have come in late 2004. Deputy Interior Ministry Maj. Gen. Hussein Kamal said Iraqi security forces caught al-Zarqawi near the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah but then released him because they didn't realize who he was.

In May 2005, Web statements by his group said al-Zarqawi had been wounded in fighting with Americans and was being treated in a hospital abroad _ raising speculation over a successor among his lieutenants. But days later, a statement said al-Zarqawi was fine and had returned to Iraq. There was never any independent confirmation of the reports of his wounding.

U.S. forces believe they just missed capturing al-Zarqawi in a Feb. 20, 2005 raid in which troops closed in on his vehicle west of Baghdad near the Euphrates River. His driver and another associate were captured and al-Zarqawi's computer was seized along with pistols and ammunition.

U.S. troops twice launched massive invasions of Fallujah, the stronghold used by al-Qaida in Iraq fighters and other insurgents west of Baghdad. An April 2004 offensive left the city still in insurgent hands, but the October 2004 assault wrested it from them. However, al-Zarqawi _ if he was in the city _ escaped.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Link (http://hamptonroads.cox.net/cci/newsnational/national?_mode=view&_state=maximized&view=article&id=D8I3VH900)

Hawkeye
06-08-06, 05:07
Excellent.

Yojimbo
06-08-06, 06:20
I saw earlier, it's definitely good news! One more for the good guys!

Voodoochild
06-08-06, 06:25
Well I guess this means he wont be making anymore videos showing his incompetence when it comes to weapons. Just goes to show you that you can run and hide but in the end you find yourself on the receiving side of a missle strike.

Boom
06-08-06, 06:47
Awesome very happy to hear this.

GunnFixr
06-08-06, 06:52
Good deal...

...now if we just do the same with Bin Laden.

Arock
06-08-06, 07:23
My whole day just put on a smile.

BravoCompanyUSA
06-08-06, 08:45
How many virgins do ya think he got . . . . . :rolleyes:

Impact
06-08-06, 08:57
awesome !!

DevilDog
06-08-06, 09:46
I heard reports that Iraqi journalists cheered when they heard the news, ... but I haven't heard any reports of American journalists cheering.

Not suprised at this, just sharing it.

Kudos to all involved for hitting a bullseye!

gcpd19
06-08-06, 09:52
Best news to come out of that region for sometime, however, read this:

Michael Berg, father of American businessman Nicholas Berg, whom is it believed al-Zarqawi beheaded in May 2004
"I'm sorry whenever any human being dies. Zarqawi is a human being. He has a family who are reacting just as my family reacted when Nick was killed and I feel badly for that.

"I feel doubly badly, though, because Zarqawi is also a political figure and his death will re-ignite yet another wave of revenge and revenge is something that I do not follow, that I do not ask for, that I do not wish for against anybody. It's an endless cycle. As long as people use violence to combat violence we will always have violence."

If my son was killed by Zarqawi, and he was finally dead, it would be party time at the house....

ColtM4
06-08-06, 09:59
Glad he's dead , while its not the end all of the war its a significant blow to the terrorists in Iraq.

PS: My first post here :D

Razoreye
06-08-06, 13:48
You should hear what the idiot Mike Berg said regarding this kill. I believe he's the father of the slain contractor Nick Berg. (Spelling may be off.)

DrMark
06-08-06, 13:53
Wonderful news!

In fact, we're getting off work a little earlier because of it!

Kisara
06-08-06, 15:09
Yay!!!!!! A beer on me for that one.

u-baddog
06-08-06, 16:09
I will raise my glass tonight and toast al-Zarqawi's death.
One down many more to go...........

Hobbes
06-08-06, 16:45
الله اكبر

(Allahoo Akbar- God is great)

06-08-06, 17:53
Glad to hear that he's room temperature. Rest in pieces, a$$hole!

Hawkeye
06-08-06, 17:56
I had a BLT ryder for lunch, and I ordered it with double bacon in Zarcrappi's honor.

durka
06-08-06, 18:48

SoCalJBT
06-08-06, 20:01
Yup, this was great news!:D

VA_Dinger
06-09-06, 19:32
Wow, this is great news.

Colt6920
06-09-06, 22:13
I hope it hurt.

sledge42
07-04-06, 15:49
what i liked of the whole thing is that before the A$$hole died ....he knew we were there next to him...i would of wispered your going to hell