PDA

View Full Version : Noveske NSR vs Fortis REV?

txbonds
02-03-13, 17:39
Anyone have both of these that can offer some objective comparison commentary?

I've got a 13.5 NSr arriving tomorrow according to tracking but I can't help but be drawn to the fortis for some reason. Before I go and list a for sale or for trade ad, thought I should see if anyone has any input.

How well do they both lock up?
Any differences in feel and handling?
Are the qd points on the fortis just as nice as the add on piece for the NSR?

Brahmzy
02-03-13, 18:40
Anyone have both of these that can offer some objective comparison commentary?

I've got a 13.5 NSr arriving tomorrow according to tracking but I can't help but be drawn to the fortis for some reason. Before I go and list a for sale or for trade ad, thought I should see if anyone has any input.

How well do they both lock up?
Any differences in feel and handling?
Are the qd points on the fortis just as nice as the add on piece for the NSR?

Apples n oranges.

txbonds
02-03-13, 18:42
Apples n oranges.

Yes and no. One is a tube and one is a hybrid but otherwise they both share the key-mod system.

Brahmzy
02-03-13, 18:56
Yes and no.

Huh? :confused:

Hundreds of different rails share picatinny, soon hundreds will share KeyMod. What's your point?

There is NOTHING similar about these two rails.

txbonds
02-03-13, 18:59
Huh? :confused:

Hundreds of different rails share picatinny, soon hundreds will share KeyMod. What's your point?

There is NOTHING similar about these two rails.

So you are saying that no constructive contrasts/comparisons can be made?

Brahmzy
02-03-13, 19:11
What do YOU need from the rail? What does the tool/mission require?
The choice should be clear once you nail that down. Do you need tons of uninterrupted picatinny space? Do you need built in symmetrical QD sockets? Do you want fat? Thin?

AKDoug
02-03-13, 19:16
Not yet. Other than T&E examples, I think there are only 100 Fortis rails out there right now.

I have owned a Fortis for about a week. I've shot a couple rifles with NSR's. I far prefer the feel of the "tube" style handguard vs. an almost quad rail like the Fortis.

Brahmzy
02-03-13, 19:25
I far prefer the feel of the "tube" style handguard vs. an almost quad rail like the Fortis.

Me too. Once I got my first NSR, the search was over. The DDs and TROYs got sold.

txbonds
02-03-13, 19:30
I don't plan to hang lots of stuff off it. I do use a qd attachment for a 2 point sling. I might attach a light but that would be it other than a forward BUIS.

I do like the key-mod hand covers though. I think the use of stock barrel nut, built in qd points front and rear and key-mod side panels are what interest me in the fortis.

Price would be another consideration since I could probably pre-order two fortis rev's for what my NSR would bring on tos. Just a thought but not a decision making factor mind you.

thehun
02-03-13, 19:51
Fortis is pretty neat...strength...i would test

AKDoug
02-03-13, 19:53
I have a DD MFR tube. I have no use for a bottom rail. I got sucked in by the sexiness of the Fortis rail, but it hasn't done anything for me that my very basic tube is already doing. I prefer just adding little rail sections where I need them. I also prefer the dozen possible places I could mount a sling swivel on a tube like the MFR or NSR.

Lockup on the NSR and even the MFR is pretty bomb proof. It looks like the Fortis is as well. Time will tell.

The money was not wasted for us. My son has it on his carbine as of today with a new upper we built. He really likes it, but he also doesn't have much time behind an AR to really develop a feel for what he needs.

Lawnchair 04
02-03-13, 20:00
Dibs on that nsr 13.5 if you decide to sell. Good luck and let me know.

txbonds
02-03-13, 20:05
Dibs on that nsr 13.5 if you decide to sell. Good luck and let me know.

LOL. Not meant to be a test the water sale thread but I'll keep you posted.

I'm just really torn on which would better suit my needs and which would be the better long term usage investment for me since I need two rails total for current 16" builds.

mastiffhound
02-03-13, 21:00
I'm interested in the Fortis, I think it said it was 9.6 oz. The price isn't to bad either. I'm thinking it might be my next purchase. The Noveske looks nice too, but I don't keep up with new gear sometimes. I'll have to check it out now.

jaxman7
02-03-13, 21:05
Me too. Once I got my first NSR, the search was over. The DDs and TROYs got sold.

Same here. Have a kiss rifle with a MOE (mainly b/c of price point but honestly love the shape of it) but once I held an NSR the Centurion was gone on the other rifle.

Looking forward to Centurion's tube coming out though.

-Jax

Brahmzy
02-03-13, 22:34
Same here. Have a kiss rifle with a MOE (mainly b/c of price point but honestly love the shape of it) but once I held an NSR the Centurion was gone on the other rifle.

Looking forward to Centurion's tube coming out though.

-Jax

Jax, ya done changed your avatar. I enjoyed seeing the green summer grass / trees in the other - gave me something to look forward to during these cold, gray days. No homo, just sayin' - I'm ready for spring, dammit. :D

AKDoug
02-03-13, 23:06
You could easily take the Fortis/Centurian lockup around the barrel nut and make a tube style handguard from it.

Brahmzy
02-04-13, 00:17
Ah shit Jax - just put 2 n 2 together. Just read about it. :(

RIP Chris

Stickman
02-04-13, 02:37
I own both, and both are sitting next to me. They are very different types of rails.

How well do they both lock up? Both are solid.

Any differences in feel and handling? Yes, just look at them, they aren't anything alike. What works best for you is a matter of personal preference.

Are the qd points on the fortis just as nice as the add on piece for the NSR? They are both holes. Its not a woman, all you are doing is throwing a QD in it.

jaxman7
02-04-13, 04:25
Ah shit Jax - just put 2 n 2 together. Just read about it. :(

RIP Chris

Yeah. :(

Really admire Chris.

-Jax

Ledanek
07-15-13, 19:45
So time has passed.

To AKDoug and Stickman, how do you guys rate the Fortis Rev nowadays?

I'm on the fence with Fortis Rev and the Centurion C4 Midlength.
Thanks for your time gents.

AKDoug
07-16-13, 01:31
It's been holding up just fine. No issues at all and maybe 1000 rounds on that rifle. It's a quad rail and it's light. I still prefer slick tubes and will most likely be shelling out the money for a CMR when the time comes for a new hand guard.