PDA

View Full Version : 55 gr. .223 bullets speeds 1 in 7 twist 16 inch barrell

Maineshooter
02-03-13, 21:28
I am working up hdy 55 gr w/c loads for my colt 6920. Just got to the range to test some today and put them on the chrono. Using CFE for the propellant and winchester small rifle primers (all I could get my hands on due to the shortage). The CFE handloads are mid range but the average velocity was around 2730 fps. I used PMC bronze as a control group (again, all I could get my hands on) and they clocked a full 30 fps lower. I am an experienced reloader but only recently so for the .223. Group size for the CFE was about twice as large as the PMS.

Spreads and standard dev. were about the same for both loads.

My questions is this: Does a 1/7 twist barrel typically shoot the 55 gr bullets more accurately when they are pushing a bit slower? I could easily try reducing the charge even more and I think the action would still cycle. I realize these are anemic loads but I am really just looking for an accurate plinker for 55 gr. My primary load is going to be a 69 gr. hp. - I will be lucky if I get my components for that by March.

Any experiences you have had would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Maineshooter

GunnutAF
02-03-13, 22:48
Jack that load up to 27 gr and it will be below the max by .8 gr so it should be safe and should get you over 3000 fps! Data says 3329 fps with max load!:D But thats probably with a 20" barrel, so with a 16" I'd be very surprised if you didn't get over 3000 fps.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

markm
02-04-13, 07:42
I agree. Those bullets should shoot better than that. Step it up a little.

Never tried CFE, but I've heard some good things about it.

Maineshooter
02-04-13, 09:28
Thanks guys. I was using the data from the Hodgdon website but it was mid range/lower end. I will try stepping up the charge. I had heard the PMC Bronze was on the slow side, but I was surprised how slow. On the other hand, it cycled and grouped very well.