PDA

View Full Version : carry handle scope mount. good or bad?

MOhunter68
02-04-13, 09:52
I am wanting to mount a scope ( havnt decided which one yet) to the carry handle of my LE6920. I was told this may not be a good idea. Can somebody tell me why this is or isnt a good idea. I will be using this rifle for Coyote hunting and general range shooting. I can remove the handle but didnt really want to.(dont like the flat top look as well).

sammage
02-04-13, 10:04
Ask yourself this: which is more important, cheek weld or aesthetics?

BrigandTwoFour
02-04-13, 11:06
I am wanting to mount a scope ( havnt decided which one yet) to the carry handle of my LE6920. I was told this may not be a good idea. Can somebody tell me why this is or isnt a good idea. I will be using this rifle for Coyote hunting and general range shooting. I can remove the handle but didnt really want to.(dont like the flat top look as well).

Its going to raise the scope waaaay above the normal cheek rest. You will be shooting while pretty much balancing your chin on the stock, or just floating your head up in the air.

If you want to use a scope, then mount it on the flat top.

Benito
02-04-13, 21:06
Don't see any real advantage to mounting an optic onto a carry handle.
Like others have said, the cheek weld is going to be a chin weld, increased height-over-bore will make the whole thing take up more space, and even aesthetically (very subjective) it will look awkward as ****.

Functionally, I doubt a carry handle mount would return to zero as well as a flat top 1913 mount would. Also you can forget about co-witnessing irons, using offset BUIS, etc. I would imagine the mount would obscure the carry handle peep sight.