PDA

View Full Version : Tula Brass Maxx 55gr .223

mikejg
02-04-13, 15:39
I was at WalMart with the wife and stopped by the ammo counter and they had 2 boxes of Tula Ammo Brass Max .223 left, so I went ahead and bought them. They were $17 for a box of 50, which isn't bad in the current climate.

Has anyone heard of this new brass offering from Tula? I've never shot any Tula steel, Brown Bear, etc. russian ammo through my AR and am curious how this compares.

Thanks ahead of time,
Mike

EYA: It says "Made in Italy" on the box :confused:

HackerF15E
08-25-13, 08:10
Tagging on to a months-old thread, but I just had a chance to try out 100 rounds of Tula Brass 223 from Wally World.

At $0.35/round, I figured it was worth a try.

I didn't bench rest it into a paper target I can show off (that's not my kind of shooting anyway) but accuracy sure seemed noticeably better than typical steel-and-bimetal Tula.

Shot from a PSA 14.5" from sitting and prone, I was hitting the torso-sized target at 400 yards regularly with no problems. I usually can't get steel Tula or even Wolf/Barnaul to hit consistently at that range. It performed very similar to other commercial brass ammo, like American Eagle.

Obviously 100 rounds isn't enough to really get a good gauge of performance, but I had no other feeding/cycling/ejecting issues. It was also shot in a carbine that has never had any of those issues, even with the crappiest of ammo, so again probably not the best controlled conditions.

The brass is boxer with annealed necks, so it is definitely reloadable; I reload Tula steel, too, so I was really more concerned about the quality of the brass, hoping it wasn't going to A-MERC style thin/crappy/crack-prone brass. The only oddball thing I noticed is that the outer edge of the neck was very sharp, like a case is after sizing and trimming, but not as severe. Just sharper than any other commercial brass that I've run across. I haven't punched the primers out yet to look at the flash holes; since the internet rumors are that BrassMaxx is rebadged Fiocchi, I'm curious to see if it has the off-center flash holes that GFL brass sometimes has.

I can obviously reload significantly cheaper than $0.35/round, but given the current state of AR food this seems like a decent deal if you don't roll your own and don't like the steel-case/bimetal offerings.