PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Smith 67-1!

Tzook
02-04-13, 21:29
Hey all, I'm about to trade into a Smith 67-1. I don't have any pictures (yet) but it's in pretty excellent shape and has some nice wood Hogue stocks. Unfortunately no box, or original grips so it's a shooter. Anyway, is this a very sought after model? I've always loved classic Smiths, so hopefully this will be a nice addition to the collection.

Also, what do you guys think this is worth?

JHC
02-05-13, 08:23
Retail - mmm . . . $400-$450 roundabout. I think under $400 would be considered a very good price.

Awesome wheelie.

Rosco Benson
02-05-13, 09:33
The 67 is just the stainless version of the Model 15 "Combat Masterpiece". It is a good solid .38spl revolver, if one has a need for one. The early guns had a stainless steel rear sight assembly, so the rear sight was "white". Most I've seen had a red plastic insert in the front sight.

A nice older S&W, without MIM parts or the "Hillary hole" lock, is only going to appreciate in value over time.

Rosco

Scotter260
02-05-13, 10:32
67-1 variation produced from 77-88 according to the 3rd Edition of the SCSW.

Not sure if particularly sought after however a good revolver is a good revolver. I think JHC's prices are appropriate. J&G was offering DAO versions in varying conditions about 2 years ago and they ranged in price from about $239-269 but I believe those days are long gone. Bud's had Model 10s for $269ish about a year ago and I found a 65-2 about 4 years ago for about $300 from CDNN. Now that it seems supplies of surplus have dried up - those prices can only go up.

Practicality-wise you should be able to find .38 Special value packs all day at Walmart while everything else is out of stock. +P should also be fine as yours was made long after that was a concern.

K-Target stocks can be found in the Classifieds at the S&W Forums - I found some slightly rough ones for $50 in my quick perusal. Remember, slightly rough means there's a brand new set just below the surface if you have or someone you know has any refinishing skills. Say what you will about factory stocks but I believe they give a certain old-school panache to vintage revolvers. If anyone says they don't fit the hand correctly they aren't gripping them properly. I also found a box for 67 on the first page - only $50. If you hunt the site long enough you could probably find a correct accessory pack as well.

Enjoy your new revolver, practical all day and an absolute joy to shoot.

srcochran49
02-09-13, 18:51
I bought my Model 67 in 1973, and used it as my duty weapon for years. A good revolver, and the first of many Smith revolvers that I have owned and loved. Smith still makes them, and new list is about $700, so a good condition gun in the $400-450 range sounds good.

DocH
02-10-13, 17:46
Never pass up a decent deal on ANY older S&W revolver. Extremely useful tools,and great shooters.The 67 is a great piece to own.

Tzook
02-10-13, 22:57
Thanks for all the info everybody, I finally got a chance to shoot it and it's a hell of a shooter. I don't like it quite as much as my 629, but then again it is alot cheaper to shoot.....

aguila327
02-11-13, 06:06
Great. You can't go wrong with an S&W revolver. It always amazed (but not surprised) me how S&W value has been appreciating on the older models.

Although this rush for. Semi automatics and AR's has let dome of the steam out of the revolver market appreciation.

Btw: I picked up a pinned Model 25, 6.5" barrel from the 60's and I'm loving it.

tpd223
02-11-13, 13:40
Houge stocks you say? I wonder if that's my old gun.

Tzook
02-13-13, 11:37
I got it from CharlieM on ksccw TPD... It's pretty nice, I thought you liked to beat on things a little? ;)

Jake'sDad
02-17-13, 17:21
The K frame .38 specials are probably my favorite revolver to shoot. That short light cylinder makes for a smooth DA pull, and it's why they dominated PPC competition. I carried an early 67 as a duty gun, and it's one of the guns I miss the most of all that I carried. It would chew the center out of a B-27 at 50 yards with boring regularity. (I stupidly sold it to make a house payment or some other unimportant thing).

I've bought others since, but none have shot as well. I mean it couldn't be that I just don't shoot as well as I did 30 years ago, right?

DocH
02-17-13, 22:08
The K frame .38 specials are probably my favorite revolver to shoot. That short light cylinder makes for a smooth DA pull, and it's why they dominated PPC competition. I carried an early 67 as a duty gun, and it's one of the guns I miss the most of all that I carried. It would chew the center out of a B-27 at 50 yards with boring regularity. (I stupidly sold it to make a house payment or some other unimportant thing).

I've bought others since, but none have shot as well. I mean it couldn't be that I just don't shoot as well as I did 30 years ago, right?

RIGHT! There's no way a mere 30 years could make a difference in your/my/our shooting ability.It has to be the gun.:dance3: