PDA

View Full Version : Shortening a chrome-lined barrel

Gutshot John
03-08-08, 14:47
I've always had a thing for FALs and currently own two DSAs.

I have a perfect FAL Para lower from DSA that's been sitting around my shop begging to be made whole again. I've done a couple of FAL builds and was thinking of stepping outside of my comfort zone.

I have a thing for chrome-lining, but since DSA doesn't sell a stock version (and there are none that I know of in carbine length) I was thinking of taking a surplus Argie or G1chrome-lined barrel from DSA and shortening it to LEGAL carbine length, threading it and then adding a new FH.

Are there any issues with the chrome-lining when cutting down a barrel. Can it flake? any particular methods I should employ/avoid?

SuicideHz
03-08-08, 15:04
I've always had a thing for FALs and currently own two DSAs.

I have a perfect FAL Para lower from DSA that's been sitting around my shop begging to be made whole again. I've done a couple of FAL builds and was thinking of stepping outside of my comfort zone.

I have a thing for chrome-lining, but since DSA doesn't sell a stock version (and there are none that I know of in carbine length) I was thinking of taking a surplus Argie or G1chrome-lined barrel from DSA and shortening it to LEGAL carbine length, threading it and then adding a new FH.

Are there any issues with the chrome-lining when cutting down a barrel. Can it flake? any particular methods I should employ/avoid?

No it won't flake. It's not the same chrome that is used on automobile bumpers.

Common misconception.