PDA

View Full Version : Got Brass?

Ryno12
02-05-13, 11:57

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6003708&convertTo=USD

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/search?cmd=results&words=brass&EqlExpression=((P_Event_Id%3E=8000)%20and%20(P_Event_Id%3C=8999))

Now only if I could find projectiles... :rolleyes:

Ryno12
02-05-13, 14:36
Sorry. Just saw a similar link here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=122833

duece71
02-05-13, 19:36
Whoa! Can I get a rough count??? What caliber?

steyrman13
02-05-13, 19:53

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/search?cmd=results&words=brass&EqlExpression=((P_Event_Id%3E=8000)%20and%20(P_Event_Id%3C=8999))

Dangit, your sharing my local secret! I had dibs on that!

Ryno12
02-05-13, 20:05

16,500lbs of 5.56

Dangit, your sharing my local secret! I had dibs on that!

Split some with ya! :D

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

snowdog650
02-05-13, 21:46

Roughly 1.8 million pieces of brass.

I think I saw somewhere that if you spent 5 days a week, 4 hours a night reloading the stuff at a rate of 1000 rounds per hour ... it would take 17 years to load it all.

EDIT: My bad ... those stats are for the 28,000 pound lot ... either way ... you get the picture.

shakazulu12
02-06-13, 00:25
I never thought to look on GL for brass. Curious what these actually close at.

ChefDementia
02-06-13, 07:29
I need brass, but not that much, and how in the hell would I get it home and store it?

markm
02-06-13, 07:39
Could be a bunch of M249 brass mixed in there. :(

Ryno12
02-06-13, 08:02
I need brass, but not that much, and how in the hell would I get it home and store it?

You don't have a flat bed laying around? :D

Ryno12
02-06-13, 08:08

Here's 15k lbs of 5.56 in drums. This may be easier for you to transport & store.

TommyG
02-06-13, 08:21
Could be a bunch of M249 brass mixed in there. :(

No good for accuracy or no good to reload at all?

Raven Armament
02-06-13, 09:54
M249 has headspace slop in the chamber and the cases stretch beyond what it does in the M16/M4 chamber, which leads to case head separation issues. That's the reason I don't reload fired LC brass unless I bought it brand new and fired it myself. I'll process it for others, but I don't reload it even for my own rifles.

markm
02-06-13, 09:59
Yeah... I've never handled any of the 249 brass... but case separations are a pain in the AR. Not dangerous or anything, but annoying.

I'll process and use once fired LC brass picked up at the public range. I've never seen a 249 out there. :D

TommyG
02-06-13, 10:07
Thanks for the info.

I happened to see a 1,055 lb lot very close to my home and it has me intrigued. My reloading ignorance is nearly complete so I apologize if this is a moronic question - would I be able to visibly tell or would it be a matter of finding out when the cases fail?

I am thinking it would be worth it to save some and scrap some if I can score the lot for the right price so it would not be a total loss if there is a bunch that I can not have reloaded.

markm
02-06-13, 10:14
You might be able to hand check it in a case guage. Drop a piece into the guage and look at how much shoulder bump it needs.

You can also sometimes see the link staining on the brass body. But if the brass is dirty, that might not be very visible.

Scrap value on brass is pretty good if you don't sell to a shady recycler.

TommyG
02-06-13, 10:22
Thanks Mark. I have a good guy that we use for scrap so we could probably get a good price. I'll call him before I bid.

Thanks for all the info.

markm
02-06-13, 10:28
Thanks Mark. I have a good guy that we use for scrap so we could probably get a good price. I'll call him before I bid.

Thanks for all the info.

That's perfect. If you can bid at scrap value or not much more, you're pretty well hedged.

Anything below scrap value and you're gold!

Raven Armament
02-06-13, 10:29
If you're bidding on a government auction, read the details. They usually require a deposit wired to their bank account in order for your bid to be accepted. This weeds out the guys jacking the price up and leaves it to the serious buyers.

TommyG
02-06-13, 10:33
If you're bidding on a government auction, read the details. They usually require a deposit wired to their bank account in order for your bid to be accepted. This weeds out the guys jacking the price up and leaves it to the serious buyers.

Will do. I have a few days to investigate before the bidding opens on the auction. I am going to call them and establish an account the day before if we go after it.

Thanks again guys.

MrSmitty
02-06-13, 11:09
I'm pretty sure the ones in the drums require your own method of storage, ie they keep the drums. You usually need a roll off or something for those lots.

Also, some of the lots have the weight of the containers/skids/drums added in with the weight so watch out for that too.

Prices seem to be going pretty high on the .223 auctions lately.

ETA - There are usually around 73-74 primed .223 cases in a lb for anyone looking for piece counts on those lots.

Eric D.
02-06-13, 11:23
I'm curious as to what they close at also. Opening at $150 is a steal. I got $1/pound for the last load I took to the recycler.

Ryno12
02-06-13, 11:32
I'm pretty sure the ones in the drums require your own method of storage, ie they keep the drums. You usually need a roll off or something for those lots.

Also, some of the lots have the weight of the containers/skids/drums added in with the weight so watch out for that too.

ETA - There are usually around 73-74 primed .223 cases in a lb for anyone looking for piece counts on those lots.

Yeah, I was pretty much being sarcastic... You know 15k lbs in drums being a lot easier to transport & store vs 16k lbs in.... ahh, nevermind. :rolleyes:

markm
02-06-13, 11:48
I'm curious as to what they close at also. Opening at $150 is a steal. I got $1/pound for the last load I took to the recycler.

When was this?

That's a horrible price if it's been any time in the last year.

$2.50-$3.00 is about where it has been.

Raven Armament
02-06-13, 11:53
I use 95gr as an average case weight, so 73.68 or 74pcs per pound. 13.6lbs per K.

Eric D.
02-06-13, 12:11
That's what I've heard. I wonder if its worth less locally for some reason. It was only a few months ago so I'll have to call some other places and see what they offer.

MrSmitty
02-06-13, 12:18
Yeah, I was pretty much being sarcastic... You know 15k lbs in drums being a lot easier to transport & store vs 16k lbs in.... ahh, nevermind. :rolleyes:

Sorry, missed the sarcasm...

The last lot that I watched was 2511lbs and it went for over $9k, well over scrap rate.

Ryno12
02-06-13, 12:32

The last lot that I watched was 2511lbs and it went for over $9k, well over scrap rate.

No problem.

How much over scrap price do you guys think this stuff if worth, realistically? I'm assuming it would also vary by caliber too.

MrSmitty
02-06-13, 12:54
For me, I can't find once fired .223 brass for under $100 per k, online or local. I loaded up everything I had and now I seem to be SOL. I'd imagine the price will go back to normal here in a few months or so.

Eric D.
02-06-13, 13:20
I bought 1k once fired LC from Wideners for about $85 shipped around October. It was advertised as 90% LC and NO saw brass. I don't think I would pay more than $100 shipped for the same thing. Conservatively, that's $0.085/piece. Scrap value is about $0.043/piece if you get top dollar. It would be neat to watch some of these auctions because even if you end up paying a few thousand for the lot you could flip it and make bank on the scrap value alone. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of capital :(

How much over scrap price do you guys think this stuff if worth, realistically? I'm assuming it would also vary by caliber too.

TommyG
02-06-13, 15:23

I'll be picking up with a dump trailer so they can have the storage back if required. Shoveling it into barrels when we get home will be a pain though.

MrSmitty
02-06-13, 15:36
I'll be picking up with a dump trailer so they can have the storage back if required. Shoveling it into barrels when we get home will be a pain though.

If you get some and want to sell a couple thousand or so, let me know...

TommyG
02-06-13, 16:13
If you get some and want to sell a couple thousand or so, let me know...

Will do.

Ryno12
02-06-13, 16:36

Oh crap, did I forget to mention there's a finder's fee? :D

davestarbuck
02-06-13, 17:15
Am I the only one who wants to swim in that shit like Scrooge Mcduck in his vault....?

....anyone?

:)

Ryno12
02-06-13, 17:36
Am I the only one who wants to swim in that shit like Scrooge Mcduck in his vault....?

....anyone?

:)

Dude, that's frickin' funny!

I actually think of that when I get done reloading a big pile of ammo.

ChefDementia
02-06-13, 19:54

Hell, get me a price I'll take a few pounds off your hands.

TommyG
02-07-13, 08:00

Payable in brass? :cool:

Ryno12
02-07-13, 08:45
Payable in brass? :cool:

Yep!

No, just kidding...
but I would maybe buy some from you if you're interested in selling any. If not, no big deal. I have a small stash.

duece71
02-07-13, 10:03
Yeah... I've never handled any of the 249 brass... but case separations are a pain in the AR. Not dangerous or anything, but annoying.

I'll process and use once fired LC brass picked up at the public range. I've never seen a 249 out there. :D

Can you give an idea of what to look for that would identify M249 brass?? I doubt I will find any up my way, but you never know. Thanks.

Pariah Carey
02-07-13, 13:20

Not too bad. That's buying it at about .05 per piece and you could probably sell it in this market for .13 per (like $130 for 1000), maybe more. Course you'll have costs like storage, plastic bags and such. You could pass shipping along to the buyer. It would require a lot of time, having to sort through all that brass and fill each order, but if you sold a few 1000 piece lots each week on gun broker or your own website you could recoup your investment fairly easily. Plow all your money back into the business and in a few years, providing both the supply and the demand remain healthy, you might have a pretty good venture.

MrSmitty
02-07-13, 16:32
Not too bad. That's buying it at about .05 per piece and you could probably sell it in this market for .13 per (like $130 for 1000), maybe more. Course you'll have costs like storage, plastic bags and such. You could pass shipping along to the buyer. It would require a lot of time, having to sort through all that brass and fill each order, but if you sold a few 1000 piece lots each week on gun broker or your own website you could recoup your investment fairly easily. Plow all your money back into the business and in a few years, providing both the supply and the demand remain healthy, you might have a pretty good venture.

If I were in that boat I would sell them by the USPS flat rate box full. I think someone on TOS was doing that a while back.

TommyG
02-07-13, 16:38
If I were in that boat I would sell them by the USPS flat rate box full. I think someone on TOS was doing that a while back.

Off topic but Flat Rate is such a crazy deal. The last time I got steel gongs they came in a flat rate box and was it ever heavy. I can't imagine what UPS or Fed Ex would have charged for shipping.

Ryno12
02-07-13, 16:42

Easy now... Some of us might be interested in buying some of that from TommyG. :stop:

TommyG
02-08-13, 12:59
No joy this time gents.

The panic must be in full swing in this market as well. Bidding opened this morning and has quickly gone full retard. I was watching a lot of 500 lbs of 9mm brass that also went crazy right out of the gate.

Thanks for all of the info, I am going to be watching for future auctions hoping that it will settle down like everything else.

Ryno12
02-08-13, 13:23
You're right, some of that did go full retard. At least you gave it a good college try.

Pariah Carey
02-08-13, 20:06
On some of the smaller lots they're clearly bidding for personal use, like $5,750 for 1800 pounds of 9mil. You'll lose money trying to sell all that, so maybe keep half and sell the rest just for beer money. But do you really need that much freakin brass? The one component you can use over and over again?

If you've got the ducats, the 15-20k pound auctions might give you a good margin. If you can sell 1.7 million or so pieces of brass. Now if you can make it to Guam there are some really low bids on 30 cal and 556 brass.

simple1
02-08-13, 21:58
WTF!

Different auction but currently over $6/lb with 3 days left.
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6023118&convertTo=USD

And it isn't even LC at that.

If it sells at that it is going for about $0.084 per case for FC.

I thought it was bad when the stuff was going for $2/lb.

Bimmer
02-08-13, 22:47
If you're bidding on a government auction, read the details.

+1 I'm looking into this, too, but the fine print is daunting... inspecting the stuff ahead of time is difficult, if not impossible, and then you must pick it up within 10 days.

I'm pretty sure the ones in the drums require your own method of storage, ie they keep the drums.

Not always. Vandenburg AFB is selling 5.56 brass in ammo cans, stacked on pallets, and the ammo cans are included.

ETA: This one's already over $3/lbs:

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6026395&convertTo=USD

Can somebody take a look at the close-up photo of the brass and tell me if those ridges on the cases are from the fluted chamber of a machine gun?

TommyG
02-09-13, 08:06
+1 I'm looking into this, too, but the fine print is daunting... inspecting the stuff ahead of time is difficult, if not impossible, and then you must pick it up within 10 days.

This is the part that I think will get dicey. You need an end user certificate before you can pick up your purchase (for certain items, including brass). The little bit of research I did leads me to believe that will take several weeks to a month to secure. I assume they would work with you but that might not be the case. I did not dig into this more since the bidding went so crazy so fast on this one but am going to get details for future reference.

TommyG
02-14-13, 09:34
For those of you keeping score at home, the Lot I was watching, just over 1,000 lbs of 5.56 brass, went for $11,000. :eek:

markm
02-14-13, 09:39
For those of you keeping score at home, the Lot I was watching, just over 1,000 lbs of 5.56 brass, went for $11,000. :eek:

That's completely INSANE.

One of the Mods here was telling me that a reman company here in AZ is getting $650 per thowie for good quality 55 FMJ ammo. :eek:

$0.65 per round for REMAN?? I'd rather not shoot at all than pay that.

TommyG
02-14-13, 09:49
That's completely INSANE.

One of the Mods here was telling me that a reman company here in AZ is getting $650 per thowie for good quality 55 FMJ ammo. :eek:

$0.65 per round for REMAN?? I'd rather not shoot at all than pay that.

That is the part I don't get. You have to look, but you can find good stuff here for $375-$400 per thousand. It is getting better every week. Who has that kind of money to burn? Even if you reloaded it all until the brass was cooked and then scrapped it, you took it in the tailpipe on your "investment".

m1a_scoutguy
02-14-13, 10:17
When was this?

That's a horrible price if it's been any time in the last year.

WOW,,thats good $$$ !!! I scrapped a bunch of 308/Berdan Primed brass just last week,,,I got $1.55 a pound !! :confused: Hell I called 10 places & got everything from .80 cents up to the $1.55,,,could just be a NY thing,,,they screw us comin & going,,,,LOL

markm
02-14-13, 10:20
I take mine to Simms Metal Management. They're a nationwide company... so they don't rape me on the price.

I just watch the copper market to get an idea when I should sell.

m1a_scoutguy
02-14-13, 12:31
I take mine to Simms Metal Management. They're a nationwide company... so they don't rape me on the price.

I just watch the copper market to get an idea when I should sell.

Sounds good markm,,I had this stuff for years,,,all 308 I had shot out of my M1a's,,man I hate to get rid of all the Pristine brass,,but its more pain in the ass than its worth to deal with the berdan primers !! I had 3 five gallon pails,,,,,,,178 LBS,,,,I turned it into more bullets and reloading stuff !!!!:D:D Now I had some Brite Copper & I got $3.05 a LB for that,,but the "rifle brass" was $1.55 !! I can see why scum bags are ripping out pluming from someones house,& scrapping it,,LOL !!! I see those big tubs/containers full of brass & I want it just because,,but dang,,I got enough 223 for my lifetime and my Sons,,Son,,,,LOL !! Nice to have connections,,;)

Ryno12
02-18-13, 19:08

Did you guys happen to notice how much this went for? $96,501 for 16.5K lbs. That kinda floors me..

MrSmitty
02-18-13, 19:28
Roughly 8¢ per case...

Maybe a decent deal right now if I was buying 1k, but not if I was buying 1.2 million...