PDA

View Full Version : Anyone thinking about "Selling Out"

lowflyer
02-05-13, 12:02
I work overseas and don't get much time to rain anymore much less find a place to train. I have plenty of ammo and mags that are just sitting and It looks like I wont get back until Nov. of this year for few weeks.

Anyone else think of selling a stockpile?

Thanks

Atlshaun
02-05-13, 12:09
Never considered it. In fact, i am hoarding money to pounce on every deal i can find when this nonsense subsides.

GeorgiaBoy
02-05-13, 12:31
No, not selling out, but focusing on other shooting.

I havnt pulled the trigger on an AR in over 2 months. I shoot pistol every other week. What I've really been focusing on is shotgun - trap and sporting clays. Birdshot is the only thing that hasn't really gone up and reloading supplies are steady.

markm
02-05-13, 12:35
We've been dumping everything we can spare. Bolt groups, Pmags, Ammo.

Pappabear and I (mostly him) have dumped like 10 grand worth of shit. We haven't left ourselves hurting if supplies stay tight for a while... but in all likelyhood, We'll buy it all back later for a fraction.

merican
02-05-13, 12:36
Georgia: mind my asking where you buy your birdshot and reloading supplies? i cant seem to find 12ga birdshot at my walmarts anymore....just a ton of 20ga.

crusader377
02-05-13, 12:40
I sold a few items mainly to upgrade my collection when prices revert to normal. I sold my 3rd rifle which was $700 build for nearly $1500 which I will use to buy either a factory colt, DD, or BCM once prices go down. I also sold a few magazines and ammo.

rocsteady
02-05-13, 12:42
I have been forced to be very specific when choosing what to stockpile for cash flow reasons. This has been good on one front, I don't have much lying around that I don't feel that I really need.

So in answer to the question, I won't be selling off anything that I've stockpiled as I feel what I have I need to keep and don't want to have to worry about buying anything back at a later date.

CrazyFingers
02-05-13, 12:42
Anyone else think of selling a stockpile?
The thought never even crossed my mind.
Of course, I don't have a stockpile, so...

RearwardAssist
02-05-13, 12:49
I typically keep a pretty tight control over surplus stuff that isnt being used, i.e. if I dont use it I sell it buy more of what I do use. I have sold some stocked up factory ammo as I mostly shoot my reloads and have an abundance of them. But other than that only thing I did was get rid of 10 niw mags I had and some glock 18 mags that I didnt use.

tehpwnag3
02-05-13, 12:50
Kept my stockpile but sold some high value items that the market craved.

lowflyer
02-05-13, 12:51
Yeah I'm going through the ammo closet right now, I guess I will get rid of some of my handgun ammo and Ar Mags.

I shoot mostly AK and some shot gun, when I do get to shoot

Warp
02-05-13, 12:52
No.

I have purchased more than I have sold the past two months. (I only paid an elevated price on one item, which was more than compensated for by sales of a few other items). There are plenty of items to be had at normal prices. Just not ammo. :(

But I don't have enough of anything to constitute a "stockpile".

Packman73
02-05-13, 12:57
I won't consider selling anything either. I've been just focusing on duck season with my trusty 935. Now that it's over, I'll just shoot my 10/22, ARs and Glocks very sparingly until more ammo is available and affordable. That may be quite a while away though....

jdm
02-05-13, 12:59
I think I will keep what I have and try to buy more when I can since I really don't have a lot.

lowflyer
02-05-13, 13:02
Look like I'm going to sell 10 or 15K rds of 9mm to some police academy cadets. They are having a hard time getting ammo.

They are not sponsored by a department and have to buy their own.

lowflyer
02-05-13, 13:04
Selling it to them at my cost I should add.

ALCOAR
02-05-13, 13:05
We've been dumping everything we can spare. Bolt groups, Pmags, Ammo.

Pappabear and I (mostly him) have dumped like 10 grand worth of shit. We haven't left ourselves hurting if supplies stay tight for a while... but in all likelyhood, We'll buy it all back later for a fraction.

This is so smart, and I only wish everyone had this mindset.

At this point, I dislike the panic buyers as much as the anti gun crowd. At least your able to parlay their overzealous fears into 2-3x more gear for you and PB.

People have flat out gone bat shit crazy this go around for sure.

richiecotite
02-05-13, 13:17
Yeah, I'm selling one of my 2 AR's today along with some mags and ammo.

I bought my first AR in March 2011, so up until recently, prices have been around the same. No 'good old days' forme.

Even before the panic, I shot my AR's maybe every other month. I live in densely populated suburban area, so the closest outdoor range with 100 yd target lane is about an hour and a half from me.

I'm focusing much more on pistol and shotgun now, since if i ever did have to use a firearm in self defense, it would more than likely be a pistol. Plus the pistol range is less than 30 minutes from me.

Sucks, as I would have liked to take a class or actually get a chance to shoot rifle outdoors.

d90king
02-05-13, 13:20
No, not at all. I worked to hard to get my collection perfect to turn around and sell off shit for a few extra bucks.

I was tempted when I was offered 6k for my SCAR17 $7500 for my OBR and 5k for one of my MWS's (I'm mulling it over since I have a spare, but I want to keep the lower in hopes of snagging a new SR25 upper or Noveske down the road)...

markm
02-05-13, 13:21
This is so smart, and I only wish everyone had this mindset.

At this point, I dislike the panic buyers as much as the anti gun crowd. At least your able to parlay their overzealous fears into 2-3x more gear for you and PB.

People have flat out gone bat shit crazy this go around for sure.

Helping to drive priced back down by flooding the market. :D

I'm not selling any ARs though. Those are my babies.

Skyyr
02-05-13, 13:22
Since going through the last two shortages, I was somewhat prepared. I saw the CT shooting on the news and knew it was going to cause a panic, so I went to my "list" of projects I wanted to finish off in the next 2-3 years and bought everything I needed. Now, I'm set, aside from ammo.

I had spare mags and other accessories I didn't necessarily need, so I've been selling those. Aside from that, I'm holding on to most of my inventory.

I am enjoying buying magazines and such on Gunbroker where people list them at no reserve, intending for them to get high bids, but they forget to put search-friendly terms. :sarcastic: Just bought 5 USPc 9mm magazines for $30 each - better than pre-panic prices.

markm
02-05-13, 13:24
I was tempted when I was offered 6k for my SCAR17 $7500 for my OBR and 5k for one of my MWS's

I'd have cashed in on every one of those offers! :eek:

I mean... I guess it's all relevant. If you aren't in need of the money... :confused:

Warp
02-05-13, 13:24
I'd have cashed in on every one of those offers! :eek:

I mean... I guess it's all relevant. If you aren't in need of the money... :confused:

He's trying to tell us that thousands of dollars is "a few extra bucks" to him.

markm
02-05-13, 13:26
He's trying to tell us that thousands of dollars is "a few bucks" to him.

That may be the case. We got on the short side of bulk bullets. So it goes both ways. I can remember my buddy saying we could wait on the 6000 round packs of FMJ hornady bullets.... just before the School shooting. :(

WhiskyNiner
02-05-13, 13:26
I thought about selling the FAL and the .308. Haven't paid much attention to them for a long time. But, got them out to show/train the kids and fell in love with it again.

I don't have enough of anything else to sell, but don't think I would anyway. I'd just want it again after a few years, then have to pay big to rebuy it.

Unless I'm starving, I'm not selling anything anymore.

halfmoonclip
02-05-13, 13:28
In '94, I sold off my then only semi-auto centerfire rifle, a folding stock Mini-14, just because I was tired of all the bullshit about 'evil auto rifles'.
That damned gun showed up at gunshows for the next 10 years (I'd put shrink tape on the buttstock tube for a better cheek weld), for widely varying amounts of money. It had been cursed with overpriced Ruger factory mags, or aftermarkets that never worked especially well, which did factor into my choice in dumping it.
I got a great groundhog gun instead, and found that was as much fun as watching paint dry.

All kinds of folks making all kinds of decisions right now; wish I had a crystal ball.
Moon

lowflyer
02-05-13, 13:31
One of my problems is I have a Ton of ammo with no place to store it, I'm going to leave my guns at my Dad house in the gun safe.
I guess I will have to get some climate controlled storage

kcara
02-05-13, 13:41
I would say the time to cash in on excess prices on AR's is waning. The time to sell would have been in Dec. and early Jan. I expect prices to come down to earth in the next 6 months.

Big A
02-05-13, 13:42
My plan for this year was to buy a case of 5.56 a pay day until I had a nice stock pile and keep it at an amount I wouldn't go below but some little pissant in CT ****ed that up for me back in December. Hopefully this shit will calm down soon and I can start picking up some ammo...

Alex V
02-05-13, 13:43
I do have an BM AR which will become a backup now that I have a PredetAR, and a complete lower with no upper on it. But I am just do afraid to cell.

Wish I actualy had enough ammo to go shooting. Don't want to tap into what little I have. This sucks!

markm
02-05-13, 13:48
but some little pissant in CT ****ed that up for me back in December.

The more I think about it, the more angry I get at the mom.

DarrinD2
02-05-13, 13:54
No, but . . . do I really need 20 30rd mags for my AR? I also view my Colt M4 LE one of my babies. Since I switched to M&P pistols I guess I could part with my G17 and 6 hi cap mags - but it too gave me a lot of good service. . .

Warp
02-05-13, 13:58
I do have an BM AR which will become a backup now that I have a PredetAR, and a complete lower with no upper on it. But I am just do afraid to cell.

Wish I actualy had enough ammo to go shooting. Don't want to tap into what little I have. This sucks!

I told myself the same thing. I had but one AR and then I bought a Shrubmaster in January for the old price of $799 and figured i"d keep it as a spare/backup, as well as a stripped lower. I even had a spare BCM BCG.

Then I was able to buy a BCM complete upper straight from them for $459, so I threw the Shrubmaster on Gunbroker and it sold for $1,399 Buy It Now (1 week ago exactly) in less than a day.