PDA

View Full Version : Advise on old m&p9c

callen3615
02-05-13, 21:44
Hi, I just purchased an m&p9c online. I didnt notice until after the auction that the serial number started with mrb, I googled that and found that it was manufactured in 2008.

I understand that there have been many updates to the entire m&p line, including this model. Sear housing, mags, mag springs, sights, recoil spring assembly, trigger...

My question is, what should I do with this gun? The early models had several known issues, hence all the revisions. Would s&w replace all the old parts for me? Will I be stuck with that task? If so I will probably sell it and buy a new one when all of this subsides.

Thanks for the help.

callen3615
02-05-13, 21:50
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll114/callen3615/a5ea3a63-5128-4794-a90b-18547b07529e_zpsa404995e.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll114/callen3615/pix441168048_zpsac17bbee.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll114/callen3615/pix220171295_zps9011ac9c.jpg

Avedis
02-05-13, 21:51
Hi, I just purchased an m&p9c online. I didnt notice until after the auction that the serial number started with mrb, I googled that and found that it was manufactured in 2008.

I understand that there have been many updates to the entire m&p line, including this model. Sear housing, mags, mag springs, sights, recoil spring assembly, trigger...

My question is, what should I do with this gun? The early models had several known issues, hence all the revisions. Would s&w replace all the old parts for me? Will I be stuck with that task? If so I will probably sell it and buy a new one when all of this subsides.

Thanks for the help.

You're asking if S&W will replace the all of the internals on a gun that has no known problems? No they will not.

Nick S
02-05-13, 22:01
Order a new sear housing block from Speed Shooters Specialties at a minimum. That should correct/prevent the dreaded dead trigger issue. 25 dollars or so. You will need a 1/8th roll pin punch. Ditch the shitty factory sights. While you have the rear sight off you might as well drop in an Apex USB.

Outside of that you could order a new striker assembly and trigger/trigger bar. Striker are like 30 and triggers 10 or 12.

Good luck.

crusader377
02-05-13, 22:01

Thanks for the help.

Just shoot the pistol and if you have problems send it back to S&W. Like almost every pistol on the market, a few M&Ps had problems but the vast majority of them will work very well. Regardless, you have an excellent pistol that should serve you well.

callen3615
02-05-13, 22:07
You're asking if S&W will replace the all of the internals on a gun that has no known problems? No they will not.

My argument is they do all have known problems. Thats why s&w changed those parts.

This will be my carry gun, I cant just wait for my striker to break, or the sear to start failing to reset. I dont trust it without the revised parts in it.

I also dont want to replace all of the parts myself, thats an extra 100$. thats 25% of the cost of the whole gun.

Nick S
02-05-13, 22:14
A new striker and sear housing block will cost you 60 bucks. The install is super easy. Whats your peace of mind worth?

There's no guarantee a new gun won't have bugs as well.

Good luck!

callen3615
02-05-13, 22:20
any guesses what that shit on the front of the dust cover is?

never seen burnt (or unburnt for that matter) powder look like that.

HCM
02-06-13, 17:10
You need get out and shoot the gun.

I have an M&P 9c I purchased in 2008. I've got approx 2k rounds since then with with no issues.

The trigger reliability/ dead trigger issues are usually a function of "tolerance stacking" in individual guns and should show up within the first few hundred rounds. If it does, send it back to S&W.

Other known M&P issues you mentioned do not necessarily apply to the 9c such as Mag / mag spring issues relating to the M&P .45 and Accuracy issues in some full size 9mm M&P's.

RogerinTPA
02-06-13, 18:20
I got my M&P9c in 07. Besides breaking a few side stops along the way to 12K+ rounds, it runs like a champ. Go out and shoot it.