PDA

View Full Version : QD Sling Swivel

txbonds
02-06-13, 07:37
Does anyone make one of these with a smooth finish? What I mean is the ones I have seem to have a gray phosphate type finish but I have trouble getting them in and out of my noveske end plates.

Not sure if they are out of spec or if the finish is the issue. I've had them forever, but I doubt they are out of spec as I think I got them from Grant and he carries top notch stuff.

So, anyone else have a similar issue? Is it just a matter of keeping them soaked in oil/grease, or are there some with a slicker finish that are easier to seat and remove?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.............

ASH556
02-06-13, 09:06
The ones I have are from Gear Sector and they work fine in both my Noveske and DD end plates. Maybe grab a couple from Jason?

txbonds
02-06-13, 09:14
The ones I have are from Gear Sector and they work fine in both my Noveske and DD end plates. Maybe grab a couple from Jason?

Thanks. I've got some gear sector products which seem really nice. Do they have a smooth finish or a rough finish?

I've got a couple of sets and I don't remember where I got them all from. Some are smoother than other regarding the phosphate finish. The rougher ones are the ones I'm having trouble with. They are damn near impossible to remove from the noveske end plates without something to apply extra torque while I rotate back and forth and pull.

MistWolf
02-06-13, 09:16
There are mainstream QD swivels that have a smooth blued finish rather than the rougher phosphate finish and often cost less

Shao
02-06-13, 09:17
Let's see.. looking at my QDs in my box here... Only my Blackhawk and Fortis swivels have a glossy black finish... I just checked both with a Noveske QD end plate and they work fine...

ASH556
02-06-13, 09:24
Thanks. I've got some gear sector products which seem really nice. Do they have a smooth finish or a rough finish?

I've got a couple of sets and I don't remember where I got them all from. Some are smoother than other regarding the phosphate finish. The rougher ones are the ones I'm having trouble with. They are damn near impossible to remove from the noveske end plates without something to apply extra torque while I rotate back and forth and pull.

Here are the only decent pics I have of mine. Looks like a matte black finish to me.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_9765.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_9770.jpg

plugged into the Noveske End plate:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_8112.jpg

txbonds
02-06-13, 09:30
Those are the Gear Sector ones? Which sling is that by the way?

ReaperAZ
02-06-13, 09:31
I got mine from Earl at IWC and I believe they are LMT QD swivels. Zero issues with them in my two Noveske endplates.

ASH556
02-06-13, 09:33
Those are the Gear Sector ones? Which sling is that by the way?

Yeah, Gear Sector. That's the "enhanced" padded VTAC sling. It's gone now and both my rifles wear padded VCAS's.

Shao
02-06-13, 09:37
txbonds - I have to ask you - what size rail are you using on what size barrel? 12" on a 14.5"? I want to do something similar with my next project.. I just want the muzzle device barely poking out from the tube... I think it looks slick... Does your Surefire take any kind of beating from your birdcage being mounted so close like that?

txbonds
02-06-13, 09:43
txbonds - I have to ask you - what size rail are you using on what size barrel? 12" on a 14.5"? I want to do something similar with my next project.. I just want the muzzle device barely poking out from the tube... I think it looks slick... Does your Surefire take any kind of beating from your birdcage being mounted so close like that?

That's Ash's build. :)

ASH556
02-06-13, 09:56

Thanks for the kind words and sorry to hijack your thread txbonds.

The rifle in question is a DD MK18. 10.3" barrel with a 9.55" RIS II rail. The Surefire has been on this rifle for only about 300 rounds, but it was on a 16" in the same position for over 1000 rounds. No issues at all (no barrel shadow either) :D.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_4799.jpg

txbonds
02-06-13, 09:57

No worries. You guys answered my question already. :)

Thanks everyone

Shao
02-06-13, 10:03

Ahh Sorry!

The rifle in question is a DD MK18. 10.3" barrel with a 9.55" RIS II rail. The Surefire has been on this rifle for only about 300 rounds, but it was on a 16" in the same position for over 1000 rounds. No issues at all (no barrel shadow either) :D.

Very cool... I need to build a SBR... damn tax stamp... I was thinking of dropping a 15" rail on a 16" barrel to get the same look but obviously it won't look like THAT. Great job...

ASH556
02-06-13, 10:14
Ahh Sorry!

Very cool... I need to build a SBR... damn tax stamp... I was thinking of dropping a 15" rail on a 16" barrel to get the same look but obviously it won't look like THAT. Great job...

Here's a 14" DD Lite rail on a 16" barrel...kinda achieves a similar look:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_5944.jpg

I found personally that I didn't really like it, though, and switched it to a 12.5" rail. Much better handling and still plenty of space:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_8102.jpg

Shao
02-06-13, 10:20
Here's a 14" DD Lite rail on a 16" barrel...kinda achieves a similar look:

I found personally that I didn't really like it, though, and switched it to a 12.5" rail. Much better handling and still plenty of space:

I think it looks cool either way. I already have a BCM 16" with 12" rail and it handles beautifully, I just wanted to try something different. I don't want a full quad, maybe like a MI or Troy 15" and then a battlecomp or something so it won't look retarded.

Socom Elite
02-06-13, 10:36
The ones I have are the botach brand cheap ones. They have a black finish but not s shinny finish. They work fine in my Noveske end plate. Maybe your end plate is messed up or bad swivels

ra2bach
02-06-13, 10:43
to get back to the original thread... I have QD with a smoother finish that have a big button, and I have one with a phosphate finish that has a small button. I don't care about the finish as both seem to work well as long as I keep the phosphate one drenched in lube.

but does anyone have an idea on which button style is sold by who and which is more sturdy???

djmorris
02-06-13, 10:44
I use LMT QD's from Operation Parts and they work great. The finish is the typical matte instead of glossy but certainly not rough at all.. very smooth... I dig 'em

Strykeback
02-07-13, 17:52
Have any of you guys had any issues with the qd "slipping" or dropping the rifle? Was planning on a noveske qd plate for my first build but upon further research Ive seen a few horror stories of qd swivels failing and sending rifles into the dirt.

What are your guys thoughts on these compared to a magpul asap or slap plate with a clip?

Dont mean to hijack but figured its a question of qd sling reliability

txbonds
02-07-13, 18:10
Mine have never failed or dropped loose, but I'm an occasional weekend range shooter and not using it for duty. From what I've read it seems there are work arounds though for what causes the QD to come loose like recessed button models.

Shao
02-07-13, 18:14
Mine has never worked loose either, but I've never really put it through any hard use... yet... Maybe people accidentally hit the button or their gear did while moving around, releasing the QD, causing the rifle to drop. You think?

Strykeback
02-07-13, 19:25
Thanks guys for the quick response. Being this is my first AR and first build I want to set it up right the first time. The noveske qd looks really clean yet the magpul asap seems more maneuverable switching shoulders or using heavier latches. Things to think about. Thanks

3O8Junkie
02-07-13, 19:38
I have both the Noveske QD swivels, (rounded button) and the Colt QD swivels (flat button). Both have a smooth finish to them. Both brands insert and remove just fine.

I have had my N6 slung from the QD fully loaded and scoped and had no problems with anything coming loose during transition drills. I am guessing it probably weights 12-14 lbs loaded for what its worth.

Warp
02-07-13, 23:15
Have any of you guys had any issues with the qd "slipping" or dropping the rifle? Was planning on a noveske qd plate for my first build but upon further research Ive seen a few horror stories of qd swivels failing and sending rifles into the dirt.

What are your guys thoughts on these compared to a magpul asap or slap plate with a clip?

Dont mean to hijack but figured its a question of qd sling reliability

I have not had any problems yet, and my transitions to secondary certainly put the QD swivels and attachment points to work.

I have a DD endplate an a IWC mount-n-slot on the MOE handguard.

I like it so much I"m duplicating that setup on my next rifle (nearly finished!), except with a Noveske endplate.

ScatmanCrothers
02-08-13, 10:01
Thanks guys for the quick response. Being this is my first AR and first build I want to set it up right the first time. The noveske qd looks really clean yet the magpul asap seems more maneuverable switching shoulders or using heavier latches. Things to think about. Thanks

It's really a preference thing between the two. I started off with an ASAP on my most heavily used rifle but ran into a couple of transition snags with it. It would hit this certain angle every once in a while and the ring would stick and not slide smoothly. Not a major issue, just kind of irritated me and made the gun flop around a bit.

Switched that one out for a noveske qd but kept the ASAP and put it on my heaviest rifle. Both are well made and serve their purpose.