PDA

View Full Version : Quickest way to ship to Afghanistan

ra2bach
02-06-13, 11:25
son in law is in Afghan but coming up on loc change in the next month. I want to send some stuff to him but make sure he gets it before he moves. What is the quickest way?

Shokr21
02-06-13, 11:31
I lived on Bagram, I would get packages within 12 days most of the time.

The guys on the outlying fobs? Well they'd get their packages when we made our weekly or biweekly logpacs to 'em.

I'd say when I was over there in 2010-2011 avg package delivery time was comfortably under 3 weeks for sure, typically around 17 days, for outliers.

TurretGunner
02-06-13, 12:00
I would wait.

If he is being reloacted or redeployed, his unit most likley put out a notice to tell people to stop sending them packages.

It could get lost in the shuffle and never get forwarded where it needs to go.

If its so important that he needs it right now, his unit should be getting it for him.

Otherwise wait untill you know where he will be and then send it over.

gun71530
02-06-13, 13:54
Yeah, I would wait, his APO address has likely been closed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

ra2bach
02-06-13, 14:19
I lived on Bagram, I would get packages within 12 days most of the time.

The guys on the outlying fobs? Well they'd get their packages when we made our weekly or biweekly logpacs to 'em.

I'd say when I was over there in 2010-2011 avg package delivery time was comfortably under 3 weeks for sure, typically around 17 days, for outliers.

FOB Fenty

Koshinn
02-06-13, 15:16
FOB Fenty

3-4 wks to play it safe. There really is no faster way to get stuff to people unless you fly there yourself or he's really really important to the govt.

Shokr21
02-06-13, 15:21
We delivered there, but rarely as it wasn't controlled by our BCT. We only filled in when the their trans assets were busy.

I'd say wait, no sense sending something on a "maybe". He should have his new address before he gets where he's going, so he could possibly "forward" his mail in a sense.

I'd just ask him, "hey man if I send this package now, do you think you'll get it? or should I wait a week or two til you have your new address?"

Good on you though for being concerned, I can honestly say mail call was a highlight, I especially enjoyed all the drawings and crafts my little cousins did up for me.

ridgerunner70
02-07-13, 00:22
I just shipped a package to FOB Lagham, FB Mogenson and it took about 2 weeks.

ryanm
02-07-13, 00:50
The mail does get forwarded when a unit pulls out. It adds to the time, but it doesn't just go rot in a connex forever and ever.

You can send via DHL to NKAIA, KAF and BAF--usually takes 4 days max. FedEx and UPS are hit or miss and still take 10+ days.